Case mouth ring separation

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Case mouth ring separation

Post by dellet »

Okiedelta wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:05 am Plan is to reassemble everything, head out to the range with some commercial rounds and some reloads, and see if things are running properly. Will be checking fired cases after each round, and running a chamber brush from time to time to see what might come out.
I really appreciate the patience and the outstanding feedback. I am grateful, though unlikely I fear to be of much help to others given the talent and experience here.

“One who cannot or does not learn from others is either arrogant or foolish, which is of little consequence for bait and hook, but a grave consequence for bullet and powder.”
The casting looks really complete and smooth except for that big void at the end of the neck, maybe that was the problem and it did get loosened?

Measure the casting at the neck and the loaded PPU cases, make sure you have at least .003" clearance.

It's also a good idea to measure necks on converted brass top and bottom, often there is a taper of a few thousandths.

Hope it's worked out.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

I think the void is just an air bubble or something. There are a couple of similar spots on the edges of a few lands.
I will measure the cast and compare to the cases, particularly the PPU cases.
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

Since the OP hasn’t posted again, I have a related question.

My very limited experience with converted PPU was that the necks were too thick and that was really obvious when I tried to chamber loaded rounds.

Given the known information the the OP provided, is that indicative here or is there more to it?
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

I measured all the reformed PPU cases, including the fired cases, and wall thickness ranged from .011 to .013, so at least the ones I have do not have the thicker neck walls listed in the good brass/bad brass sticky post.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

There is zero reason to run brass at 1.368" unless you like to practice malfunction drills or like having random pressure spikes. Also, having to trim every time you reload gets tedious.

For at least 8 years, and thousands of rounds, my brass has been cut at 1.350". I have yet to have a problem. I toss or loose the brass before I have to trim.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

I assume you are referring to dellet’s earlier post. All my brass is trimmed to 1.358 to 1.360. The fired Hornady brass measures 1.358 on average. I’ve got a Sheridan slotted gauge and the 1.358 still leaves a small gap between the case mouth and the end shelf in the gauge. I don’t know how short is too short, but i would guess that too much gap between the end of the case mouth and the chamber ledge could lead to the bullet pushing some small brass off the end of the case mouth.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Trim length is 1.368 (-0.02). So min is 1.348.

Unless you enjoy trimming brass, there's no reason not to trim to 1.348.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:26 pm There is zero reason to run brass at 1.368" unless you like to practice malfunction drills or like having random pressure spikes. Also, having to trim every time you reload gets tedious.

For at least 8 years, and thousands of rounds, my brass has been cut at 1.350". I have yet to have a problem. I toss or loose the brass before I have to trim.
Okiedelta wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 pm I assume you are referring to dellet’s earlier post. All my brass is trimmed to 1.358 to 1.360. The fired Hornady brass measures 1.358 on average. I’ve got a Sheridan slotted gauge and the 1.358 still leaves a small gap between the case mouth and the end shelf in the gauge. I don’t know how short is too short, but i would guess that too much gap between the end of the case mouth and the chamber ledge could lead to the bullet pushing some small brass off the end of the case mouth.
This is one of those arguable things in handloading, so I’ll argue the other side. :lol:

First thing is that the neck stretches very little, and most chambers have more than enough room to keep the neck from pinching the bullet, as long as the brass is sized properly, and that’s the problem. I would say something like 95% of people assembling cartridges are not “properly sizing” their brass. That includes probably 99.5% of people following the directions that came with the die. :shock:

For the most part, contact with the shell holder and 1/4-1/2 turn more, will set the shoulder shorter than SAAMI spec. Giving the cartridge less body and more neck. If the neck is longer than SAMMi spec, it is more likely to pinch the bullet. It’s not overall case length that determines when the pinch happens in a bottleneck cartridge, it’s the length of the neck. In the 300 Blackout the the distance from the datum line, where the neck contacts the chamber to the end of the neck space in the chamber is about .295”. This allows a case length of 1.378”, if the shoulder is in the correct location.

If the case is formed like in most dies set by contact plus 1/X turn, the shoulder is often placed .010”+ Shorter than it needs to be, If that happens it will headspace off the rim, instead of the shoulder. Trimming to less than SAMMI max will be required.

The problem with trimming shorter than needed is it increases the speed and amount of carbon build up in front of the neck. Unchecked this will first cause accuracy issues then safety issues. Carbon build up can pinch a neck and cause a pressure spike just as easy as the chamber. A carbon ring is unpredictable where and when it will be a problem. The part of the chamber that will cause this to happen is constantly moving farther away from the case neck dur to erosion, basically getting safer all the time.

Necks do not grow very fast in a properly sized piece of brass, and even less of that happens when firing. The lengthening happens when sizing. The diameter stretches to fit the chamber and most growth in length happens at the bottom end of the case. During sizing, the diameter shrinking down forces the brass forward. Since the die stops this flow at a fixed shoulder point, it pushes everything into the neck increasing the length.

The body of the brass expands to fit the space between the shoulder and bolt face every time you fire. If it stretches .010” you will push that much brass into the neck on the next sizing. If it only stretches .001”, then only that much is forced into the neck.

So how often you need to trim depends on how much you size your brass. Low pressure subs will stretch less and therefore need less trimming, even when improperly sized. I would suggest properly sized supers require less trimming, than improperly sized subs.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

You won’t find me arguing or giving advice to Dellet.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 pm You won’t find me arguing or giving advice to Dellet.
That's no fun, how else will I learn from you :mrgreen:

If I can put together an argument for a third position I'll bring it. :lol:

There's good reason for doing things a couple different ways and it's always good to different thoughts. When you can debate the value of neck tension with a guy who breech seats his bullets, and find common ground or ballistic principles, you might just learn something that changes how you think.