Cut down USGI brass vs. civilian brass?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Grunt

Cut down USGI brass vs. civilian brass?

Post by Grunt »

Totally new to the 300 Blackout here. I want to reload some Hornady 110 grain A-max bullets with Hodgen 110 and CCI #34 primers in cut down USGI cases. So far, my google-fu has not been strong. No luck with charge weight but an even more pressing question would be does charge weights given for civilian brass need to be reduced for 300 Blackout in the same manner it would be reduced for the parent USGI 5.56mm NATO case a compared to .223 Remington? Any suggestions?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cut down USGI brass vs. civilian brass?

Post by dellet »

Grunt wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 pm Totally new to the 300 Blackout here. I want to reload some Hornady 110 grain A-max bullets with Hodgen 110 and CCI #34 primers in cut down USGI cases. So far, my google-fu has not been strong. No luck with charge weight but an even more pressing question would be does charge weights given for civilian brass need to be reduced for 300 Blackout in the same manner it would be reduced for the parent USGI 5.56mm NATO case a compared to .223 Remington? Any suggestions?
Just start at the bottom end of the data and you will be fine. There are some pretty significant case capacity differences in different manufacturers brass, so until you get used to how what you are using, will perform in your rifle, just start low.

There is data for that combination in the Hornady manuals and on Hodgdon's website. Both are good sources to have and use.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Probably won't have much luck using the CCI #34's, but if you want a Mil Spec primer the #41's work great, or most any other small rifle primer
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

LOL, yeah, guess you couldn’t tell I’ve been doing a lot of reloading 7.62 NATO and .30-06. So used to thinking of CCI #34 primers I was still thinking of that larger primer size than the CCI #41 small rifle primers. Oops.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Grunt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 pm LOL, yeah, guess you couldn’t tell I’ve been doing a lot of reloading 7.62 NATO and .30-06. So used to thinking of CCI #34 primers I was still thinking of that larger primer size than the CCI #41 small rifle primers. Oops.

The 34's can fit with some effort
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:16 pm

The 34's can fit with some effort
with a big enough hammer almost everything is possible :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.