180 grain subsonic with Lil gun

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Furdown

180 grain subsonic with Lil gun

Post by Furdown »

First of all thanks for having me! Looks like a good place to hang out. I got a great deal on a bunch of the Speer 180 grain sp bullets, and would like to load some subsonic rounds with them. I have Lil gun on hand and would like to use it if possible. I will be using these in an AR with 10" barrel and pistol gas system. Thank you for any help!
BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Re: 180 grain subsonic with Lil gun

Post by BulletFactory »

Does it get cold where you shoot? If so, I've read some really bad things about LilGun. Might want to rethink that one. Im looking for info now.
Furdown

Post by Furdown »

It does get cold here, I'm all for changing up powders but I would like to use what I have now if at all possible.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Knowing which bullet would be helpful, Speer has at least 3, 180 grain soft points.

Honestly, just starting out with the cartridge and subsonics, I would change either powder, bullet or both. That might be an interesting combo for a first try. That said.......

I would load 9 grains, seat the bullet as deep as possible then check stability, velocity and function without the suppressor. If it at least cycles and the bullets are stable, I would then start working the load to my desired velocity with the suppressor attatched.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Furdown

Post by Furdown »

I appreciate the info. The bullets are the hot core 180 grain. Probably not optimal, but I was hoping to use them just as a cheap plinking round until they are gone.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That bullet is a bit light for the powder choice, but it is possible. Partly depends on how the rifle is set up and the suppressor. Without the extra back pressure of the can, it might not be reliable.

Speer has load data for the bullet, I not for subs tho. I would use their COL of 2.170” as a max length reference point, as it should be out of the lands, I always check, because you can’t alway’s trust the manufacturer. If possible I would load it at either 2.100” or as short as possible keeping the bearing surface of the bullet just out pride the neck.

9 grains will probably be borderline super. But it’s a starting point.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

I use 7.9 grains of Lil’Gun in my 10.5” barrel with a 212 grain Hornady ELD. It has been consistent and reliable for me year round. Your mileage may vary.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
Furdown

Post by Furdown »

Thank you all for the info! Greatly appreciated.
eowen37

Post by eowen37 »

I have just started working with 300 blk. My first sub loads that I am happy with are using a speer 180 spbt, 12.0 gr N120, loaded to 2.245". I am getting 1050 fps out of a 10" pistol gas barrel & adjustable gas block. 100% lock back suppressed. Have not shot it un suppressed. Quiet & clean.