Hornady 160gr FTX data? Anyone have QuickLoad?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

GregP42
Silent Operator

Re: Hornady 160gr FTX data? Anyone have QuickLoad?

Post by GregP42 »

I was wrong on my OAL, it is 2.060 not 1.960. The max range I would even think about using these would be 50 yards. That is kitchen window to the place the deer cross at the back of the house, past that they are in the woods at my place. IF and it is a big IF, I can keep them in the working range for that I would be happy. I don't want to get out the 30-30 or 45-70 for use at the house, and the Grendel is out too as it would be overkill for the back yard :shock: Anyway, I did a few with CFE and some with H110 at 80% case capacity. Not sure what to do with the A1680, but thinking 80-85% fill to see what that does. Now if it doesn't rain on my one day off this week.

Greg
NRA Life member
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GregP42 wrote:I was wrong on my OAL, it is 2.060 not 1.960. The max range I would even think about using these would be 50 yards. That is kitchen window to the place the deer cross at the back of the house, past that they are in the woods at my place. IF and it is a big IF, I can keep them in the working range for that I would be happy. I don't want to get out the 30-30 or 45-70 for use at the house, and the Grendel is out too as it would be overkill for the back yard :shock: Anyway, I did a few with CFE and some with H110 at 80% case capacity. Not sure what to do with the A1680, but thinking 80-85% fill to see what that does. Now if it doesn't rain on my one day off this week.

Greg
With CFE and 1680 you can go to 110%. With 1680 I would not bother less than 100 unless it was to just get used to the powder.

H110 will be more fun to work with, it has the potential to blow something up. 16 grains will be close to max and be around 95%. Around 19-1950 in a 16”

1680, 17.5-18 grains will be 105-110%. Compressing past that can be difficult,and you will start gaining pressure quickly. Around 18-1850 in a 16”

CFE I have no real good idea other than compared to 1680 and max loads I always come up 100-150 fps short and run out of case capacity before pressure signs. Don’t take that as a challenge, but I have never been able to pop a primer with it and have given it a reasonable effort. It’s not in my versi9n of Quickload so cant give an estimate.

The 1680 and H110 loads were from my notes and QL pressure estimates topping at 56,000 psi.

Look forward to some results shared. I think it can be a great 100 yard bullet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

dellet wrote:
With CFE and 1680 you can go to 110%. With 1680 I would not bother less than 100 unless it was to just get used to the powder.

H110 will be more fun to work with, it has the potential to blow something up. 16 grains will be close to max and be around 95%. Around 19-1950 in a 16”

1680, 17.5-18 grains will be 105-110%. Compressing past that can be difficult,and you will start gaining pressure quickly. Around 18-1850 in a 16”

CFE I have no real good idea other than compared to 1680 and max loads I always come up 100-150 fps short and run out of case capacity before pressure signs. Don’t take that as a challenge, but I have never been able to pop a primer with it and have given it a reasonable effort. It’s not in my versi9n of Quickload so cant give an estimate.

The 1680 and H110 loads were from my notes and QL pressure estimates topping at 56,000 psi.

OK, no rain, but a steady 25+ mph winds at the range, gusts to 59mph and took a tree down, blew over the chronograph too, need to look into a magnetospeed. OK, CFEBlk, 17.4gr 1630fps average, but ES was 60fps... A1680 16.5gr 1680fps average, ES of only 18 for 10 shots. The H110, well I shot only one of them at 15.5gr, and it was 1890fps, hard bolt lift and flat primer, so I will pull the rest and not play there. I have a very tight chamber on this rifle, if the neck is over .334 at shoulder I can't get the bolt to close with out a mallet it seems. Even though they all drop free of my gauge and look good there. I need to get the slotted version I think. Groups with the A1680 wern't bad, not great either at about 1.2" at 50 yards, the CFEBlk did 2" at 50 yards. Both loads will put down a deer inside 50 yards accuracy wise, just need a few more FPS to make sure it expands correctly.

Greg
NRA Life member
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GregP42 wrote:
dellet wrote:

OK, no rain, but a steady 25+ mph winds at the range, gusts to 59mph and took a tree down, blew over the chronograph too, need to look into a magnetospeed. OK, CFEBlk, 17.4gr 1630fps average, but ES was 60fps... A1680 16.5gr 1680fps average, ES of only 18 for 10 shots. The H110, well I shot only one of them at 15.5gr, and it was 1890fps, hard bolt lift and flat primer, so I will pull the rest and not play there. I have a very tight chamber on this rifle, if the neck is over .334 at shoulder I can't get the bolt to close with out a mallet it seems. Even though they all drop free of my gauge and look good there. I need to get the slotted version I think. Groups with the A1680 wern't bad, not great either at about 1.2" at 50 yards, the CFEBlk did 2" at 50 yards. Both loads will put down a deer inside 50 yards accuracy wise, just need a few more FPS to make sure it expands correctly.

Greg
Remington/Barnes, Norma, Lapua 300 stamped brass minimally sized will net the highest case capacity and .010” necks. That might help.

300 MP will have a bit less pressure than H110, but will take a little more powder to get the same velocity.

The 1680 will be the most predictable, and you can probably go up at least a grain. A drop tube and or vibrating the case to settle the powder will help.

What is your rifle and barrel?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Zapp
Silent But Deadly

Post by Zapp »

GregP42 wrote: I have a very tight chamber on this rifle, if the neck is over .334 at shoulder I can't get the bolt to close with out a mallet it seems. Even though they all drop free of my gauge and look good there. I need to get the slotted version I think.
You are saying you have the Sheridan standard gauge now? If it fits in the standard gauge, it is going to fit in the slotted one too. They are cut the same, with some small manufacturing tolerances involved. Don't get me wrong, I think you would like the slotted, and I'd be happy to sell you one. But if it fits your standard gauge fine and not the chamber, I'd suggest looking into that how tight that chamber is, instead of getting another gauge. The gauges are on the tight side of the min chamber tolerance.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

dellet wrote:
Remington/Barnes, Norma, Lapua 300 stamped brass minimally sized will net the highest case capacity and .010” necks. That might help.

300 MP will have a bit less pressure than H110, but will take a little more powder to get the same velocity.

The 1680 will be the most predictable, and you can probably go up at least a grain. A drop tube and or vibrating the case to settle the powder will help.

What is your rifle and barrel?
Dellet,

The rifle is a Ruger American Ranch Rifle. It is one of the new one that uses the AR mags. All these chamber fine in my AR and in an older RARR that uses the rotary mag. I am thinking I need to get some cerrosafe and do a chamber casting on this thing. I had a couple of rounds that had the shoulder pushed back too far to fire in the other Ruger and they fired just fine in this one. I also shot some of the Remington 120gr OTFB that was made by Barnes and there is a strange ring on some of the brass, but none of my reloads, when I am off next week I will section one and see if it is what I think it is, I hope not, I would post a picture, but I can't get a clear shot that really shows it with my phone. OK back to bed now that the storm is gone and winds have died down.

Greg
NRA Life member
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Zapp wrote:
You are saying you have the Sheridan standard gauge now? If it fits in the standard gauge, it is going to fit in the slotted one too. They are cut the same, with some small manufacturing tolerances involved. Don't get me wrong, I think you would like the slotted, and I'd be happy to sell you one. But if it fits your standard gauge fine and not the chamber, I'd suggest looking into that how tight that chamber is, instead of getting another gauge. The gauges are on the tight side of the min chamber tolerance.
Zapp,

Yes I do have the standard gauge and they are all in spec per it. I have been thinking about one anyway just to see better what is going on with the cases pre and post sizing out of the differt 300s I have.

Greg
NRA Life member
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Well I was able to hit the range again today. I have went to 17.0gr of A1680 at a OAL of 2.060. I am now at 1730fps and just over 1.2" at 100 yards for groups. I think that should still have me over the 1600fps threshold at 50 yards which is the farthest I will be using it at the house. Most of them are coming to about 35-40 yards as measured from the kitchen window, and yes I have shot them in my yard before :D one of the perks of living outside of town that I really like. Looking at the pictures posted of this bullet shows it should be good, and as I normally go for a CNS shot I think it will be ok. Now to wait for fall to get here, guess it is time to start taking out coyotes and groundhogs around here.
NRA Life member