To You Guys Who Anneal With Tempilaq

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

To You Guys Who Anneal With Tempilaq

Post by rlandry6 »

What temperature Tempilaq paint are you using. I've watched a couple of videos on it and the choice is between 650 &750
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Re: To You Guys Who Anneal With Tempilaq

Post by Blowout »

750 painted on the inside of the case mouth. This seems to be the most common placement and temp used.

Are you doing it with a drill and socket or do you have an annealing machine?
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I have an Annealeze.

750 seems to be the concensus with what I've read and seen. But, I watched a video by Panhandle Precision where he painted a strip partially down the case body using 650 and when the paint turned black about 1/8" down from the shoulder it was good. I've also read about painting the inside of the case neck with the stuff but that seems like it would be a PITA to have to clean it out. Maybe that brass is sacrificial and is only used to set the time the case neck is actually being heated and then discarded..

BTW, Sam Millard @ Panhandle Precision has a lot of good information.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

I use 750° inside the neck. It will clean up with SS pin tumbling. I only use it only for setup, and reuse the brass for this purpose. I drill out the primer pockets to ensure that they don't get mixed in with good brass (in case I over anneal the test pieces). Oh, and I use lower temp. stripes on the outside of the cases below the reach of the flames.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

rlandry6 wrote:I have an Annealeze.

750 seems to be the concensus with what I've read and seen. But, I watched a video by Panhandle Precision where he painted a strip partially down the case body using 650 and when the paint turned black about 1/8" down from the shoulder it was good. I've also read about painting the inside of the case neck with the stuff but that seems like it would be a PITA to have to clean it out. Maybe that brass is sacrificial and is only used to set the time the case neck is actually being heated and then discarded..

BTW, Sam Millard @ Panhandle Precision has a lot of good information.
If tempilaq turns black, something is wrong. It should just disappear when the temperature is reached.

Just a dot of tempilaq on the inside of the case mouth is all that's needed. When it disappears, that part of the case is at 750F. The brass can reach 800F safely so you have some margin of safety.

I have a DYI annealer so the process is a little different. Mine has digital indicators for the speed settings which you won't have. I write down the settings for each cartridge type on a cheat-sheet and it makes set up the next time go faster.

Perhaps you can put a piece of tape on the face of the machine at the speed dial and make a mark for each cartridge type. You'll still need to tweek the setting the next time you set up that cartridge, but at least you have a reference point to begin with...meaning fewer cases to tempilaq. Maybe 2-3 on set up and 1 every 100 cases just to check.

If your annealing the same manufacturer of cases, the timing shouldn't change as you progress unless the flame intensity is changing on you. I just picked up a regulator with a built in pressure gauge to see if that will provide a more consistent flame. The flame wasn't that inconsistent before, but I want to add a pressure setting to the cheat-sheet. I'm also using a large BBQ tank most of the time. I've done 500 cases in a sitting dropping templilaq marked cases when the flame seemed to change, but it seems to anneal fairly consistent based on reading the tempilaq.

When setting up a new cartridge I might use as many as 10 cases with Tempilaq to determine the speed and time in the flame. I keep the flame fairly low but not to a point to where it pulses or has a chance of blowing out. The white tip of the flame is about 1/8" from where the shoulder and neck of the case meet. I'm sure other have their sweet spot, this is typically mine. I load all the cases that have had Tempilaq applied and haven't had any issues.

I lube and size after annealing. The case mouth gets some lube so the neck sizing ball runs through smoothly. Then they are tumbled in walnut to remove the lube and that usually takes the tempilaq off the inside of the case mouth as well. You could always wash the case mouth using a small brush if desired. I haven't found that necessary though.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Blowout wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:I have a DYI annealer so the process is a little different. Mine has digital indicators for the speed settings which you won't have. I write down the settings for each cartridge type on a cheat-sheet and it makes set up the next time go faster.
This is a great sub $10 20 minute mod for an annealeez. First thing I did to mine.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

SwampDog_13 wrote:
Blowout wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:I have a DYI annealer so the process is a little different. Mine has digital indicators for the speed settings which you won't have. I write down the settings for each cartridge type on a cheat-sheet and it makes set up the next time go faster.
This is a great sub $10 20 minute mod for an annealeez. First thing I did to mine.
Did you cut a hole in the sheet metal and mount the digital gauge something like below or mount it externally? What gauge did you use and how did you wire it?
The motor controllers I used came with a gauge built in so no wiring needed.

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I used. I used my dremel and cut hole for it on the front panel left of the speed controller. Wiring is simple with no splices necessary since the motor power supply has screw terminals. Just run one wire to the motor positive, one to motor negative, and then one for the power supply for then voltmeter itself.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Got it... so you get a voltage reading. Nice upgrade.

The display I'm using gives the duty cycle as a percentage. 0 - 100%, 100 = max voltage output to the motor.