Cheapest once-fired 223/5.56 brass?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Cheapest once-fired 223/5.56 brass?

Post by bangbangping »

Now that hunting season is over :cry: I got a wild hair to whittle down the pile of miscellaneous bullets and load up a few thousand rounds of plinkers. Who has the best deal on once fired, non processed same headstamp brass? Preferably LC, but anything on the good list would work.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cheapest once-fired 223/5.56 brass?

Post by Sig220 »

I like to spend time reloading this time of year before the heat and humidity get too bad in our area :roll:

I tried American reloading, at the time I could get primed unfired brass 223 cases for just a couple of cents more then primers alone.
The brass turned out to be Federal marked FC brass which works out good for BO. I cut em off, removed the deprimer punch from the
die stem for sizing/forming and then final trimmed and had brass ready to load. I may still have some of them left....the only sorting I did was to pull the obvious
dented shoulders for cut off and left another pile that could go either way (223 or 300). They did have 2 types of primers...silver and copper
colored, but didn't detect much if any difference between them.

Here is the current listing...https://americanreloading.com/en/39-223-556-nato Seems the price went up a little, but they do offer discounts from
time to time and it has free shipping!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

How many are you looking for? Search “caliber/by the pound”

I have used DiamondK before and price will depend on whether you want it clean or processed, and the type. Sorting by headstamp can cost a couple cents per case.

Or you can bid on the surplus stuff, generally 1000 pounds or better, but it’s cheap.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:How many are you looking for? Search “caliber/by the pound”

I have used DiamondK before and price will depend on whether you want it clean or processed, and the type. Sorting by headstamp can cost a couple cents per case.

Or you can bid on the surplus stuff, generally 1000 pounds or better, but it’s cheap.
Pretty sure I need less than half a ton. Although I do have a lot of bullets. Maybe 2K pieces. My gun budget is already blown for the year, so I'm doing this on the cheap. Which means I process.

Sig220, American has a decent price. Not sure I want to worry about lube getting into the primers, though. And I think I'd rather get the pockets swaged up front. hmmm....maybe
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

bangbangping wrote:

Pretty sure I need less than half a ton. Although I do have a lot of bullets. Maybe 2K pieces. My gun budget is already blown for the year, so I'm doing this on the cheap. Which means I process.

Sig220, American has a decent price. Not sure I want to worry about lube getting into the primers, though. And I think I'd rather get the pockets swaged up front. hmmm....maybe

I hear ya! So far, I have not contaminated my primers but I work it in small batches. Just got in from processing and loading 50 rounds from that primed brass I had bought before. And you do have to come back after your first firing and swage the pocket.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depending on what you choose, about a nickel a case.
https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.223-5.56-Brass.html
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:Depending on what you choose, about a nickel a case.
https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.223-5.56-Brass.html
Good prices, no doubt. I'm just picky about the "mixed commercial and military." The mixed military is $85/1000 which isn't bad. I found a place selling mixed military for $79/K or $150/2K with free shipping so I went with that.

I haven't bought any once fired 5.56 in a while...prices seem higher than I remember.

Aww, crap...went to get a link realized they have blanks for $49/K. https://www.evergladesammo.com/brass/ri ... ieces.html :roll:
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

bangbangping wrote:

Gun budget? What is this thing called "gun budget "of which you speak? Don't say anything about that to my wife, as I have her convinced that there is no such animal.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

http://valhalladistributing.com/

vahalla is one of the cheapest places i know of for raw brass, but they're OOS at the moment.

website says next batch early april. they do sort by head-stamp - at least so far as lc/fc/wcc anyway - and $130 gets you 2500 cases delivered.

so if you've got a few weeks you can wait..
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

plant.one wrote:http://valhalladistributing.com/

vahalla is one of the cheapest places i know of for raw brass, but they're OOS at the moment.

website says next batch early april. they do sort by head-stamp - at least so far as lc/fc/wcc anyway - and $130 gets you 2500 cases delivered.

so if you've got a few weeks you can wait..
That's around the price I was expecting. Bookmarked for next time, assuming there is a next time. :mrgreen: Last time I converted I bunch of brass I swore I'd never do it again.