When developing loads do you...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

thorn653

When developing loads do you...

Post by thorn653 »

When developing sub loads do you get to the desired velocity first and then try
to get better ES and SD numbers with seating depth or vise versa?
And also, what are the benefits to using magnum primers as opposed to non magnums?
This forum has sooo much knowledge my head hurts sometimes :mrgreen:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: When developing loads do you...

Post by rebel »

With supers, I pick the best case fill possible (generally W296 for 110 to 130 gr.) and keep the base of the bullet and the powder charge level at the same distance. I shoot 3 each for group, stop when I get pressure signs or hit 2.26 OAL if shooting an AR. This is with the "normal" Blackout projectiles. I measure, gauge, and check constantly. Making dummy rounds is helpful. If you venture off the path however ( which we frequently do :mrgreen: ), this can get you into trouble.
Read dellets findings on the Hornady FTX bullet and you find that it jams into the lands much sooner than say, a 125 SMK.

As far as primers go, I favor CCI 450 magnums. I tend to get lower ES spreads with them. Keep in mind they have a thicker anvil, do not show pressure signs as soon and can be finicky with bolts and single shots.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Definitely agree with rebel on 450's or BR4 for H110 super loads. Subs, not so much.

Personally, I start with velocity first for subs. Unlike supers, start high work down so you don't stick a bullet. Don't get hung up on a particular velocity when looking for precision...900 fps is still subsonic.

Accurate subs at distance can be a challenge. If you haven't seen this thread from a few years ago, it's worth a read. viewtopic.php?t=98191
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I start by checking function if it’s a AR, which is also velocity. So I will work velocity down to around 950 fps.

Then look for a load with the lowest ES around 1000 fps and tune that for accuracy. Generally something between 950-1025 works out with any barrel/bullet combination.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

dellet wrote:I start by checking function if it’s a AR, which is also velocity. So I will work velocity down to around 950 fps.

Then look for a load with the lowest ES around 1000 fps and tune that for accuracy. Generally something between 950-1025 works out with any barrel/bullet combination.
There are many ways to skin a cat, just ask rebel :lol: .

This is pretty much my plan of action as well when I do subsonic development. As far as magnum vs non magnum primers go, I have some loads using one and some the other. Most likely it came down to what shot the best or had the lowest es on the particular day I tested, nothing real scientific about it.
thorn653

Post by thorn653 »

Thanks for all the tips!
thorn653

Post by thorn653 »

I've been getting really good ES and SD numbers with Lil gun and 200 gr plated rounds.