Recommended materials for cheaper 300 blackout?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Musicman1eanda

Recommended materials for cheaper 300 blackout?

Post by Musicman1eanda »

I want to get into handloading 300 blackout for as cheap as possible, hopefully pulling the cost down to 30 cents or less if possible per round. Recommended sources/brands for materials (primers, bullets, etc...)? Just as an fyi, I haven't even started handloading yet so lead casting isn't in the picture yet.

I really want to purchase a 300 blackout 9in pistol to (likely) suppress, but the cost of the ammo does incline me to believe I wouldn't be able to train as much with it as I would like. Even considering maybe additionally purchasing a cheaper 5.56 upper.

Thanks!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recommended materials for cheaper 300 blackout?

Post by dellet »

Musicman1eanda wrote:I want to get into handloading 300 blackout for as cheap as possible, hopefully pulling the cost down to 30 cents or less if possible per round. Recommended sources/brands for materials (primers, bullets, etc...)? Just as an fyi, I haven't even started handloading yet so lead casting isn't in the picture yet.

I really want to purchase a 300 blackout 9in pistol to (likely) suppress, but the cost of the ammo does incline me to believe I wouldn't be able to train as much with it as I would like. Even considering maybe additionally purchasing a cheaper 5.56 upper.

Thanks!
.30 per round is not impossible, but you will need to shop. Part of that will depend on if you want to shoot subs or supers. Shipping will greatly increase cost per round if you don’t buy in bulk.

$100 per 500 for bullets, $25 per pound powder, $30 per 1000 primers gets you in the ball park if brass is $100 per 1000 and you get 10 firings.

Buying blems, seconds, pulls or 150 grain fmj bullets is the best way to hit that <.20 per bullet mark. Otherwise choice is very limited. Bullets will be your greatest expense where you need to spend your time shopping.

It can easily be done, just takes time and planning.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Assuming you plan to shoot a lot....

If you can, decide what you want to load (plinking, target, hunting, subs, supers) then study the reloading section and get an idea of the best powder(s) for the job. Order an 8 lb. jug and and a few thousand primers for one hazmat fee. If I were just getting into it and going cheap I'd go with H110/W296(light supers) and Shooters World Blackout (everything else) but others may have different ideas.

It may be worth posting a WTB in the classifieds for bullets. I can't be the only one here with a pile of various bullets that will likely never be shot.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Sierra blems currently at Midway, you never know when they show up or how long they will last.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocat ... sPerPage=0
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

psst.

Make your own bullets for a couple cents each, and the math gets easier.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Assuming 1000 rounds...

$16 for 100 bullets, or $136 for 1000. [ https://gallantbullets.com/collections/30-caliber ]
$32 for 1000 primers (plus hazmat - combine with powder) [ https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13017 ... rimers-400 ]
$50 for 2lb of A1680 (again, plus hazmat; 2lbs = 14000 grains, should do about 1400 subsonic loads) [https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21833 ... gun-powder]

That's $218 for 1000 rounds, or $.218 per round; hazmat adds about $30, so $0.25 per round.

You still need brass. If you have .223 brass, you can make 300 Blackout brass for time.

Of course, volume gets your prices lower because (a) volume and (b) hazmat stays the same up to 50lb of primers + powder.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

GunFunZS wrote:psst.

I cast my own. Bullet molds, turkey fryer, cast iron pot, ingot molds, propane, electric lead pot, powder, toaster oven, tin to add to the mix...even if you scrounge lead, value your time at zero, and ignore the gas you burn picking up lead or hunting pewter, it's tough make bullets for a couple cents each.
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

just got to keep an eye out for good deals
while the 180 grain wedge seems a hit or miss
I fond a person selling them and I paid .08 per
half HP half FP cheep plinking for sure for brass
Carolina brass has 500 for $85
but I can have them proses 223 for .09 ea 650 for $58
course I could by the jig and cut off saw and do it my self but oh well ;)
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

bangbangping wrote:
GunFunZS wrote:psst.

I cast my own. Bullet molds, turkey fryer, cast iron pot, ingot molds, propane, electric lead pot, powder, toaster oven, tin to add to the mix...even if you scrounge lead, value your time at zero, and ignore the gas you burn picking up lead or hunting pewter, it's tough make bullets for a couple cents each.
I've managed to get lucky and get printer's lead at scrap yards. The prices are definitely not going down. I bought most of my lead at 30 cents a pound, including linotype and monotype. Some of it a flat dollar. Friends know I want lead so once or twice a year someone will give me a bit at random. I'm running low, but my local scrap yard always seems to have some and they let it go at a flat dollar.

So far I haven't added tin, except some that was in a bucket of scrap solder I scored.

I know that in the future I can expect to pay more. But even buying virgin alloy at rotometals gets bullets under 10 cents each, for most purposes.

Your point about valuing time is a real thing, and I think if someone is considering casting, they should not mess around with inefficient gear. Get multicavity molds and a big bottom pour or don't bother. Pay attention to alloys, or don't bother. Pistol is a lot easier to get good results than rifle, and I can see that a lot of people would be frustrated. My last couple of attempts at 300 BO loads really didn't work out, and I know that would make a lot of people quit.
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

My subsonic target loads cost me $.07 each.

I pay $25 for a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights from my local tire store. This yields me 80 lbs. of usable lead. I can get 2500, 225 grain cast bullets from this at the cost of 1¢ each. Add 3¢ for primers and 3¢ for powder (875, 8 grain loads from 1lb. at $25/lb.). I'm not counting the cost of my converted brass. My brass for subsonics will last until I lose them.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"