Need Help With Hornady Neck Turner

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

markr6754
Silent Operator

Need Help With Hornady Neck Turner

Post by markr6754 »

I finally got my Hornady Neck Turner to use for my 300 AAC Blackout reloading. Not because I’m accuracy focused...but because I have some salvaged 5.56 cases. After processing and loading they won’t fit in my PSA barrel, as the brass is too thick at the neck.

Here’s where it gets challenging...the cases won’t fit on the 30 cal mandrel for the neck turner.

I’ve cut, formed and sized, trimmed, chamfered, and deburred these cases, only to find the neck openings are too small to fit onto the mandrel....so I can’t even get them close to the cutter, let alone do any cutting. They fit just fine on the 30 cal pilot for the Hornady Cam Lock Case Trimmer, though they had to be chamfered to slip on, but that’s as far as I can go.

The case necks readily take a bullet, even a 220gr Lapua Scenar L BTHP, but then the rounds won’t fit a case gauge, either. Is there another preparation step I’ve missed?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need Help With Hornady Neck Turner

Post by bangbangping »

Yup. After sizing the case, the inside neck is somewhere around .305" and the mandrel is likely .308". You need to expand the neck to .308". Then turn and resize again. There are lots of options.

One option is a Lee universal expander die along with an expander plug from NOE.

Another option is to check out expanding mandrels from K+M Precision Shooting Products.

A third option is to ditch the brass that doesn't work. I know which one I'd choose.
Last edited by bangbangping on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
markr6754
Silent Operator

Post by markr6754 »

bangbangping wrote:Yup. After sizing the case, the inside neck is somewhere around .305" and the mandrel is likely .308". You need to expand the neck to .308". Then turn and resize again. There are lots of options.

One option is a Lee universal expander die along with an expander plug from NOE.

Another option is to check out https://kmshooting.com/neck-turning-too ... drels.htmlexpanding mandrels from K+M Precision Shooting Products.

A third option is to ditch the brass that doesn't work. I know which one I'd choose.
Actually, the mandrel is .305”, the case necks are .303” inside, and the widest point on the Hornady resizing bead is .306”. I’m thinking of annealing the cases, first, then resizing again, but you’re probably right...I need something to open the necks up larger. I can’t believe that no one covered this is anything I’ve read or any videos I caught.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll reserve the right to toss the brass...but not too soon.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

markr6754 wrote: Actually, the mandrel is .305”, the case necks are .303” inside, and the widest point on the Hornady resizing bead is .306”.
Okay, you made me go pull out my K+M stuff. The expanders are bore size and the cutter mandrels are ~.001" under. Looks like yours is designed to run straight from the resizing die, but you're getting a lot of springback on the brass, so annealing could work. Regardless, neck turning is a loathsome task that shouldn't be performed unless absolutely necessary. :mrgreen:

Last time I turned necks I did 500 pieces of 6mm PPC for my 85 year old father. Shortly afterward his house burned in the night and he didn't even bother to save the brass as he hobbled out of the smoke and flames. It was tough to forgive him for that. :lol:
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

markr6754 wrote:
bangbangping wrote:Yup. After sizing the case, the inside neck is somewhere around .305" and the mandrel is likely .308". You need to expand the neck to .308". Then turn and resize again. There are lots of options.

Another option is to check out https://kmshooting.com/neck-turning-too ... drels.htmlexpanding mandrels from K+M Precision Shooting Products.

Actually, the mandrel is .305”, the case necks are .303” inside, and the widest point on the Hornady resizing bead is .306”. I’m thinking of annealing the cases, first, then resizing again, but you’re probably right...I need something to open the necks up larger. I can’t believe that no one covered this is anything I’ve read or any videos I caught.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll reserve the right to toss the brass...but not too soon.

I would take the most common/easiest option and trash the brass.

Shoot more and work less. Part of brass prep is to exclude those with too thick of brass that causes problems...there is a list.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

21st Century Shooting makes an expander mandrel that is .002" oversized.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

How thick is the brass on the necks, and what is the neck diameter of a loaded round?

Headstamp would also be helpful.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
DVAnt

Post by DVAnt »

I always use FN or GGG 5.56 Milsurp cases as these are common in the UK, and my 223/5.56 straight pull LMT gives me plenty of once fired brass. The neck wall thickness is always too much and I have never tried turning the necks down.
My alternative to neck turning is after you have cut and formed the case, put a 5/16" (0.3125") reamer through it, and then run it through the die again to bring the neck bore back to size (I use Lee dies).
The purpose behind this is that by forming it you have a .308 bore (or slightly under) in the case which you open out to .312 with the reamer, thereby removing .004" off the overall wall thickness, and then bring the bore back to size by running through the die again. Yes it is an extra step in the forming process, and if I had thin walled brass I would use it, but sometimes you have to make the best of what is available (that especially applies to the UK).
If you prefer to turn your necks, then crack on, but it's nice to have an alternative.
markr6754
Silent Operator

Post by markr6754 »

dellet wrote:How thick is the brass on the necks, and what is the neck diameter of a loaded round?

Having problems with the site. Trying a different browser to see if that works.
Response attempt #16

Neck thickness: 0.016”

Loaded round: 0.3385”

Headstamp: MEN 15 - German NATO, now part of CBC
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

markr6754 wrote:
dellet wrote:How thick is the brass on the necks, and what is the neck diameter of a loaded round?

Having problems with the site. Trying a different browser to see if that works.
Response attempt #16

Neck thickness: 0.016”

Loaded round: 0.3385”

Headstamp: MEN 15 - German NATO, now part of CBC
If you hit the “remember me” button when logging in you won’t get dropped.

Definitely a candidate for turning, they may also be tapered or are crushing your bullet. Your math does not add up. .016+.016+.308=.340

Depending on how many you have, how committed you are to keeping them and if you are likely to do more.

What I would do because it is cheap and easy, is to sacrifice a bullet and use it as an expander. Seat it and pull it in a few cases and see if then they will fit on the pilot and turn them.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.