Need Help With Hornady Neck Turner

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

markr6754
Silent Operator

Re: Need Help With Hornady Neck Turner

Post by markr6754 »

dellet wrote:If you hit the “remember me” button when logging in you won’t get dropped.

Definitely a candidate for turning, they may also be tapered or are crushing your bullet. Your math does not add up. .016+.016+.308=.340

Depending on how many you have, how committed you are to keeping them and if you are likely to do more.

What I would do because it is cheap and easy, is to sacrifice a bullet and use it as an expander. Seat it and pull it in a few cases and see if then they will fit on the pilot and turn them.
I hit the "remember me" button 16 times. I could log in, respond to your post, then click submit, and the site would immediately take me to the Log in screen with the message...you must be logged in to respond to this post. It is an issue that just started yesterday...never encountered it before. I switched over to Brave browser and successfully submitted my response...the reason why it took 16 attempts before switching browsers is I got a message every now and then stating the site was down, the site would be up soon, the site is experiencing problems. So I joined the Merry-Go-Round. Once I saw a response from another user I believed that the site issue was resolved. It may have been...but not for me. Brave worked, and now Internet Explorer on my PC is working. I've since cleared all internet history on my iPad and I'll check later to see if it's working again.

I've thrown some more money at the problem. One - I have a new ball micrometer on order...that should provide greater accuracy at reading neck thickness, and is something I've had on my wish list for a while. Two - I've ordered the K&M Expanding Mandrels, which should work to allow me to open the neck consistently prior to turning...very surprised that Hornady doesn't make such a tool.
Three - I purchased propane bottles and torches to enable my newly purchased Annealing-Rite #3 to function. This will be necessary even for the .223 Rem I've converted. Four - this is a stretch, but I've ordered a couple of pin gauges (0.306" and 0.307"), fairly inexpensive alternative to the expanding mandrel, and gives me a couple of options if I still have trouble getting the cases onto the Hornady Neck Turning Mandrel.

Lastly, your "sacrifice a bullet" makes the most sense, and likely would've saved a fair chunk of change, had I been smart enough to think of it. I did sacrifice a bullet to test the fit of a converted 5.56 round in my chamber. Unfortunately, these events have all occurred at varying dates in the process. The failure to chamber the thick-neck brass lead to the early purchase of the Hornady Neck Turner. I won't go into the entire saga again. Let's just say my wife deserves special honor for putting up with me over the past 3-4 weeks. Everyone that reads this saga will have already thought..."What a maroon (channeling Bugs Bunny)! He could've purchased 3,000 rounds of fully processed 5.56 cases from rockeybrass.com for what he's thrown into salvaging 75 MEN 15 cases."

At this point, I'll never find enough 5.56 thick neck brass to have made this all worthwhile...but I now have sunk costs, so let's just move on. Hindsight....
markr6754
Silent Operator

Re: Need Help With Hornady Neck Turner

Post by markr6754 »

dellet - sacrificed a bullet. Pulled the bullet I loaded last night to obtain the loaded case diameter...stuck the case onto the Hornady Neck Turning .30 cal mandrel, and of course it fit perfectly. So all I have to do is seat an pull 74 more times and all of this brass will be ready for neck turning.

Hard lessons learned are the ones that stick with you.

Thanks for freely sharing your wisdom.