Need Help - Subsonic Rounds Tumbling

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

markr6754
Silent Operator

Re: Need Help - Subsonic Rounds Tumbling

Post by markr6754 »

dellet wrote:A couple things.

You know the barrel at least should work.

You know the load is put together right mechanically.

Dolomite might be correct. The target pic looks bad and that's the next thing to make sure of..

Were these targets in a frame or basically just hung from the top?
They were just hung from the top.

I’ve just loaded a new set of the same 220 gr Lapua bullets, 11.6gr A1680, 2.252” OAL, just a hair longer than the 2.250” I attempted. The one change, these are FC 223 cases I cut and trimmed. Previous loads were once fired 300 Blackout.

Appreciate you hanging through this with me.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

thisguysguns wrote:check your muzzle device for bullet matter or signs of contact. If the bore of the muzzle brake or the barrel threads are not concentric, your projectiles might be making contact and causing them to yaw.
Have you checked this yet?
markr6754
Silent Operator

Post by markr6754 »

bangbangping wrote:
thisguysguns wrote:check your muzzle device for bullet matter or signs of contact. If the bore of the muzzle brake or the barrel threads are not concentric, your projectiles might be making contact and causing them to yaw.
Have you checked this yet?
Sorry...yes, I confirmed that the muzzle is clear. No debris, no marring, factory new look.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

markr6754 wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Shoot at something other than the paper you are using. Cardboard, a piece of wood, anything other than that paper.

Can you post pictures of the unstable holes?

Like I said before I have shot printer paper and with slower bullets it will tear odd looking holes. Even 22's do this with certain types of paper.
Haven’t learned how to post pics here. I took a couple to send to Palmetto State Armory...wanted them to see what’s happening with their upper. I’ll go read the how to for this site to see if I can figure it out.

As to shooting...I shot thick NRA targets...like construction paper, and I’ve shot flimsy paper targets...both do the same. I need to load more ammo before attempting to shoot again, and I have some heavy card stock I can print a target on. Everything I do is indoors so I have to shoot what I can hang from their target holders.

I setup an account at Flickr. Not sure if these images will work, but it’s a start!
https://flic.kr/p/23SV2sg
https://flic.kr/p/23SV2x6
Those look like tears in the target, not keyholes. You need to shoot at something else that won’t tear out.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
markr6754 wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Shoot at something other than the paper you are using. Cardboard, a piece of wood, anything other than that paper.

Can you post pictures of the unstable holes?

Like I said before I have shot printer paper and with slower bullets it will tear odd looking holes. Even 22's do this with certain types of paper.
Haven’t learned how to post pics here. I took a couple to send to Palmetto State Armory...wanted them to see what’s happening with their upper. I’ll go read the how to for this site to see if I can figure it out.

As to shooting...I shot thick NRA targets...like construction paper, and I’ve shot flimsy paper targets...both do the same. I need to load more ammo before attempting to shoot again, and I have some heavy card stock I can print a target on. Everything I do is indoors so I have to shoot what I can hang from their target holders.

I setup an account at Flickr. Not sure if these images will work, but it’s a start!
Those look like tears in the target, not keyholes. You need to shoot at something else that won’t tear out.
Dolomite, do you think heavier paper material will be enough, since there is no real way to support the backside?

I have used sign board before like what a lot of the election signs are made of that seems to work well.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
markr6754 wrote: Haven’t learned how to post pics here. I took a couple to send to Palmetto State Armory...wanted them to see what’s happening with their upper. I’ll go read the how to for this site to see if I can figure it out.

Dolomite, do you think heavier paper material will be enough, since there is no real way to support the backside?

I have used sign board before like what a lot of the election signs are made of that seems to work well.
Foamcore (foam board) from Hobby Lobby, Michael's, maybe WalMart. Cheap, light, makes perfectly marked holes.
https://www.michaels.com/elmers-foam-bo ... 10205.html
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

If I am shooting paper I use resume paper. I use cardboard to check for stability before I might in the gun.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:If I am shooting paper I use resume paper. I use cardboard to check for stability before I might in the gun.
I was thinking about weight and stability as much as material to get good round holes. If the target is only suspended from the top edge, it will be easier to push the closer to the bottom it’s shot. It would be nice to be able to tie down the bottom some how.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Heck, shoot at a wooden board. That would be better than what you are using OP.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
markr6754
Silent Operator

Post by markr6754 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Heck, shoot at a wooden board. That would be better than what you are using OP.
I hear you...great advice. Now to get the range to redesign their facility to allow me to shoot boards.