Anyone else try the redding form and trim die?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

760405reloader

Anyone else try the redding form and trim die?

Post by 760405reloader »

I just got this redding .300blk form and trim die and it works wonders. Needs barely (if any) lube after the first case. Super easy strokes into the die. And it makes beutiful cases. And on midway usa i got the die,the extended shellholder'and overnight shipping for a total of $75. It was a steal. Anyone else have experience with it?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone else try the redding form and trim die?

Post by dellet »

Yes. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

dellet wrote:Yes. :mrgreen:
So would you say it is worth the cost?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I don't convert a lot of brass, but to me it's worth it to me.

First it saves wear and tear on the dies I re-size with.

Second, it forms a better shoulder if it is done in a two step process.

If you read a lot of the trouble shooting tips when people have trouble forming cases, one thing almost always suggested is to run it through the die twice, repeating the exact same step. Kind of the definition of insanity, doing the same thing expecting different results.

It is not a necessary step, but I think it provides a better product on first firing. after that it doesn't matter anyway. The same thing can be accomplished by buying a cheaper bullet seating die, removing the stem and using it to initial size the case.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

dellet wrote:I don't convert a lot of brass, but to me it's worth it to me.

If you read a lot of the trouble shooting tips when people have trouble forming cases, one thing almost always suggested is to run it through the die twice, repeating the exact same step. Kind of the definition of insanity, doing the same thing expecting different results.

It is not a necessary step, but I think it provides a better product on first firing. after that it doesn't matter anyway. The same thing can be accomplished by buying a cheaper bullet seating die, removing the stem and using it to initial size the case.
So if I understand this correctly, you're saying that the bullet seating die is a better option, less expensive, for the first forming step and then follow up with your sizing die?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

B y r o n wrote:

So if I understand this correctly, you're saying that the bullet seating die is a better option, less expensive, for the first forming step and then follow up with your sizing die?
Better would be questionable, definitely cheaper. $20-30 instead of $40-50. You also would need to cut the neck off the donor case before sizing.

You could use your existing seating die for a couple cases to see how it works.

I use this method when doing odd ball cases or when dropping more than one caliber size, it gives an intermediate step.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

dellet wrote:
B y r o n wrote:

Better would be questionable, definitely cheaper. $20-30 instead of $40-50. You also would need to cut the neck off the donor case before sizing.

You could use your existing seating die for a couple cases to see how it works.

I use this method when doing odd ball cases or when dropping more than one caliber size, it gives an intermediate step.
Thanks! I may give it a try, heck 223 brass is cheap. :)
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Midway has one of these on clearance for $40.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

bangbangping wrote:Midway has one of these on clearance for $40.
Sure, take advantage of an old geezer and have him spend is money. They used to have one in stock but not any longer.

Thanks! :lol: