Ws2 bullet coating question.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Nickntexas

Re: Ws2 bullet coating question.

Post by Nickntexas »

@Dellet

A bit confussed about your reply. Not sure what the mag has to do with using Ws2. My COAL is not changing. I do however lube my mags with ws2 ;). The v-max I'm using are considerably shorter than the Barnes I usually shoot. Not sure about the Sulfer comment either. Ws2 is resistant to Sulfer up to 500°C.

Since using Ws2 I've experienced that I not only have to clean less any part coated resist any buildup. Lead, copper, and carbon. Once coated the bullet actually rides on the Ws2 saving barrel wear. It basically fills in the pores in the medal. It is one of the highest lubricity substances on earth. Thats what causes the decrease in velocity but only by 30-80 fps. From what ive read. I could probably go around 21-22 grains before I would have to consider bullet seating but that would probably be too hot. With a 16" barrel I'm pretty sure I'm getting complete powder burn. I can feel the difference between the 19.4 and 19.6 gr. I noticed the cases are a bit dirtier as well. Simular to a factor load at the higher grn. I obtained tighter groups (avg 1.57") with the 19.6 but thats at 100yrds with a 3x behind an aimpoint while resting the gun on a bag of corn and the red dot completely covers my target so its not a best conditions situation. Throwing a zeiss on it in a few days and should get more accurate results and dial in my preferred load. Using the Ws2 at 19.6gr I think I'm hitting close to the load velocities from the v-max load data. Without a chrony I'm just guess at this point.

I too use Ws2 for verious applications. It's melting point is over 6k° f and temp will never get low enough to effect it. It's my go to for any friction type application and holds up great in salt water as well. The only two negatives I've encountered is it's weight and gray fingers. If you are adding it to something like an engine it's best to add it to the oil, shake well, and pour while running. If you do not use very sparingly it will get on your hands/clothes. However, there are ways to apply permanently. I have an old p239 sig I started lubing years ago. I no longer use Ws2 on it. I clean it by wiping it down with a tack rag, run a snake through the barrel once, and it's ready to run. Zero lube required. Butter slick and looks as new as the day I bought it. Super accurate after thousands of rounds. Unfortunately it's size and round capacity sux.

Thanks for the reply.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Nickntexas wrote:@Dellet

A bit confussed about your reply. Not sure what the mag has to do with using Ws2. My COAL is not changing. I do however lube my mags with ws2 ;). The v-max I'm using are considerably shorter than the Barnes I usually shoot. Not sure about the Sulfer comment either. Ws2 is resistant to Sulfer up to 500°C.

Since using Ws2 I've experienced that I not only have to clean less any part coated resist any buildup. Lead, copper, and carbon. Once coated the bullet actually rides on the Ws2 saving barrel wear. It basically fills in the pores in the medal. It is one of the highest lubricity substances on earth. Thats what causes the decrease in velocity but only by 30-80 fps. From what ive read. I could probably go around 21-22 grains before I would have to consider bullet seating but that would probably be too hot. With a 16" barrel I'm pretty sure I'm getting complete powder burn. I can feel the difference between the 19.4 and 19.6 gr. I noticed the cases are a bit dirtier as well. Simular to a factor load at the higher grn. I obtained tighter groups (avg 1.57") with the 19.6 but thats at 100yrds with a 3x behind an aimpoint while resting the gun on a bag of corn and the red dot completely covers my target so its not a best conditions situation. Throwing a zeiss on it in a few days and should get more accurate results and dial in my preferred load. Using the Ws2 at 19.6gr I think I'm hitting close to the load velocities from the v-max load data. Without a chrony I'm just guess at this point.

I too use Ws2 for verious applications. It's melting point is over 6k° f and temp will never get low enough to effect it. It's my go to for any friction type application and holds up great in salt water as well. The only two negatives I've encountered is it's weight and gray fingers. If you are adding it to something like an engine it's best to add it to the oil, shake well, and pour while running. If you do not use very sparingly it will get on your hands/clothes. However, there are ways to apply permanently. I have an old p239 sig I started lubing years ago. I no longer use Ws2 on it. I clean it by wiping it down with a tack rag, run a snake through the barrel once, and it's ready to run. Zero lube required. Butter slick and looks as new as the day I bought it. Super accurate after thousands of rounds. Unfortunately it's size and round capacity sux.

Thanks for the reply.
I would have to look again, but part of the make up of tungsten disulfide is sulfur. It can be separated with heat, but a that temp should not be reached in a barrel. But I think it it part of the bonding property that allows the powder to stick. Sulfur itself is corrosive and the WS2 tends to attract moisture. So either way it can be an issue. If the sulfur is separated and stays in the barrel or action after being distributed through the gas system, or if it attracts moisture out of the air. In a bolt action no big deal, in a gas gun you have a lot more moving parts and places to hide where this could be an issue if not cleaned before storage for any length of time.

Or I could be completely confused, it's been a while.

Most of the time what will limit your velocity with this cartridge will be fitting the cartridge in the magazine, or in your case, not wanting to change COL. With the Vmax in a 16" barrel using H110/296 you can move the bullet out, add powder and get over 2600 fps and still fit in the magazine. Using the Barnes bullet you will likely get pressure signs 100-150 fps sooner because you are limited to no more than 2.260".

When using WS2 you know you will lose velocity, in most cartridges you have case capacity to spare and can add powder to get the velocity back. With this cartridge that is not always possible.

Your Vmax at most published max loads 20.4 grns @ 2.050" will already be at 100%+ case density. trying to get another grain and a half in there will be interesting.

Complete powder burn will happen around 24" with that combination. By reducing friction, you will drop pressure, less pressure will mean less complete burn and more carbon and powder left over in the barrel and action. A reasonable guess would be 5% more un-burned powder. it is the pressure drop that also drops the velocity.

Without a suppressor this is not that big of a deal. With a suppressor and teh back pressure it creates, all that extra unburned powder stays in the barrel and blows back into the action. if it is a sub-sonic load it gets that much worse.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Thanks for the reply. From my experience Ws2 does not mix well woth water. One of the issues with it is that it does not mix well. It doesn't even clump or stick to itself well. It will however mix with 91% alcohol which is a great catalyst to apply with. It can be mixed with your favorite oil or grease but its a pain. Because of its density it will settle in oils. Of course you do not want either in your barrel. From what I've read Ws2 is not a corrosive inhibiting coating. It will slow down the process but will not add any significant resistance. From lake of damage at this point I'm good with that.

Received my Zeiss scope back grom warranty yesterday. Not too happy. They originally wanted to downgrade me to a lesser scope pus a $150 zeiss coupon. $150 would pay for what zeiss cleaning wipes lol. Anyway, it took about a week but I was told they located an exact replacement. The guy said it was sitting on his desk. I verified with him the model and radical. I recieved a 50mm apossed to the 40mm (which I was fine with) but it had a #20 radical not the Rapid Z 600 I payed extra for. Now I'm getting the run around. Explained I was planning on using it for this weekends hog hunt and was told "the Z radical was not necessary for hog hunting". Reeeeeaaaallllyyy. I really appreciate the hunting advice. I think I'll call them back for my upcoming Jackalope hunt for more advise. I'm expecting a call back. I'm not going to hold my breathe. Evidently the Conquest with Rapid Z radical in no longer available. I do not see how this is my fault. I thought the purpose of having a good warrant was getting an equal or as close to an equivalent as what you purchased. I had an issue with a Vortex 3x mount last week, called them up, explained the issue, less than 5 minutes later they were sending out a replacement. I think I'll stick with them for future purchases.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

It seems to me that WS2 bullet coating is basically the same as Moly coating except it might be slipperier. Moly was always used on jacketed bullets where here is seems powder coating is used on cast lead bullets to encapsulate the lead, suppressor protection, but not necessarily for less friction.