oye... the blind leading the blind - or soon to be blind :/

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

oye... the blind leading the blind - or soon to be blind :/

Post by plant.one »

i have a buddy whos only reloaded straight wall pistol in the past. we've talked about it for a bit and he wants to get into it more and learn to do rifle stuff too ... the right way... i guess a friend of his was going to help him learn to reload rifle stuff a year or so back, but they only did a few 223 rounds up (30 or so) and then set them aside and he - thankfully - never fired them.

i advised him to pull those down a start over - since he got advice from a total newbie and was unsure of the safety anyway (which is why he never fired them). so he starts pulling down those loads.... i get a txt asking me if 25 grains of powder is about right for a 55gr fmj. 'yea that sounds about right for some powders max load, but would depend on the powder'. i get a pic of a jug of 700x, I-4198 & titegroup (which he had used for 9mm/45). two of the cases had 4198 in them (25 grains) and the rest had 700x in them - also 25 grains :shock: :shock: :shock:

yikes! :shock: :shock: :shock:

so i get off work and head over with a bottle of Founders CBS (YUM!) and my old vibratory tumbler to let him clean up some brass to get started... i get there and hes resizing and depriming dirty cases without lube. :-X Being used to carbide pistol dies he didnt even have any case lube on hand. he somehow managed to not stick a case of the 30 or so he did before i got there. but he almost pulled his press off the little nightstand he was using for a press table - and managed to crack one side of it and had to remount his press on the other side.

he shows me one of the brass... trying to figure out why theres a weird ring in the necks after sizing... didnt have the dies set right. we had to turn the die in about 2 turns to touch the shellholder. he was only sizing the first ~1/3 of the neck.

so yea... we had a long talk about how to do things the right way. i got his dies set for him correctly - surprise the weird ring went away in the first pass :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - and left him to tumble a bunch of brass and with a shopping list.

i really wish people who had no clue what they were doing with this hobby wouldnt try to "help" people get started. this is twice now i've been lucky enough to stop newbie issues before a "bang" turned into a not-so-friendly "kaboom" to someone i know personally IRL. :evil: :evil:

Kids these days. :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: oye... the blind leading the blind - or soon to be blind :/

Post by rebel »

He avoided missing some fingers by just a bit.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ya... i told him best case scenario was probably blowing the mag out of the magwell and having to burn a pair of underwear. :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Isn't that the OCW method of working up a load? Pick the optimal charge weight, then start with RL22 and work your way up to Red Dot. :roll:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

bangbangping wrote:Isn't that the OCW method of working up a load? Pick the optimal charge weight, then start with RL22 and work your way up to Red Dot. :roll:

not sure man.. not sure at all :/
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I was at the range and a guy was having problem with primers dropping out of the cases as he fired. A friend asked me to take a look so I did. The AR would not cycle because it had primers under the trigger.

I looked at a case or two and there were obvious signs of pressure.

I asked the guy what his charge weight before asking about the powder. He said "full". I assumed he meant full power loads but then he explained he would fill the case all the way to the top then seat the bullet. I asked how many loadings in his brass and he was clueless.

I told him what he was doing was dangerous and he was lucky. He said he's been reloading a long time like that and then got beligerant.

I packed my stuff up and left so I didn't have to write witness statements.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

All your chosen powder won't fit in the case?

Does your bullet get deformed when seating over compressed loads?

Need an extra 100fps over the competition?

Try our powder compression die, guaranteed to give you more bang for the buck, or we will give you a free extended adjustment rod to allow even more powder to be loaded until you get the bang you desire :mrgreen:

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I was at the range and a guy was having problem with primers dropping out of the cases as he fired. A friend asked me to take a look so I did. The AR would not cycle because it had primers under the trigger.

I asked the guy what his charge weight before asking about the powder. He said "full". I assumed he meant full power loads but then he explained he would fill the case all the way to the top then seat the bullet. I asked how many loadings in his brass and he was clueless.

I told him what he was doing was dangerous and he was lucky. He said he's been reloading a long time like that and then got beligerant.

...and these people breed!
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

BlogSarge wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I was at the range and a guy was having problem with primers dropping out of the cases as he fired. A friend asked me to take a look so I did. The AR would not cycle because it had primers under the trigger.

...and these people breed!
A lot of them have grandchildren.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

dellet wrote:All your chosen powder won't fit in the case?

Does your bullet get deformed when seating over compressed loads?

Need an extra 100fps over the competition?

Try our powder compression die, guaranteed to give you more bang for the buck, or we will give you a free extended adjustment rod to allow even more powder to be loaded until you get the bang you desire :mrgreen:

Huh, I got two of those :shock: but then I can get a case full of 1 1/2fg or 2fg and still have all my fingers.
NRA Life member