300 HAM'R cutoff fixture?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Dreamsinger

300 HAM'R cutoff fixture?

Post by Dreamsinger »

Not exactly 300BLK but my 300HAM'R shares a lot in common. I'm working on converting .223 brass. I have a HF cutoff saw and was about to attempt to cobble up a fixture to get consistent lengths for a minimum of final trimming. Since there are a lot of fixtures for 300BLK I'm hoping that I can find one that's adjustable enough to give me a 1.603" cut. Any ideas would be appreciated.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 HAM'R cutoff fixture?

Post by rlandry6 »

You aren't going to find a cutoff fixture that is accurate to a thousandth. Just cut them off behind the shoulder, form and trim. You want to trim the length as the last step.
Don't make yourself nuts by trying to turn a simple task into rocket science. You are still going to have to trim after forming.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Dreamsinger

Post by Dreamsinger »

rlandry6 wrote:You aren't going to find a cutoff fixture that is accurate to a thousandth. Just cut them off behind the shoulder, form and trim. You want to trim the length as the last step.
Don't make yourself nuts by trying to turn a simple task into rocket science. You are still going to have to trim after forming.
I don't expect to get anywhere close to .001" tolerance, I just want to get close so I'm not spending more time and effort on my manual trimmer than necessary. As for rocket science, I'm a retired aerospace engineer.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Actually cutting first would be a colossal waste of time and effort.

A .223 case will be about 1.760" long and will shorten some when you expand the neck. So you will be trimming about a saw blade width off the neck after sizing.

If you want to try, I would get this jig and oblong the slots some if needed. Check with Vonzep or VZ58 here on the forum to see the max. length this jig will allow without modification. This jig is capable of =/- .005"

https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p7/2 ... _jig_.html

VZ58 classified ad

viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Dreamsinger wrote:I don't expect to get anywhere close to .001" tolerance, I just want to get close so I'm not spending more time and effort on my manual trimmer than necessary. As for rocket science, I'm a retired aerospace engineer.
Not the answer you're looking for, but if it were me I'd put my efforts into motorizing that thing rather than chopping the brass. Ain't nobody got time for manual trimming. :lol:
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Figure out where you need to cut the 223 to get you close. Put a little wad of JB weld in plastic wrap and sandwich between the vice jaws of the saw. Take your precut 223 case and smush it in the JB weld with the neck against the sawblade.

Thats how I made a 300blk jig. When the JB weld dries you can dremmel the edges
Dreamsinger

Post by Dreamsinger »

I was pointed to the Zep Versa and ordered it. Looks like it'll do just the trick. Thanks!
Dreamsinger

Post by Dreamsinger »

bangbangping wrote:
Dreamsinger wrote:I don't expect to get anywhere close to .001" tolerance, I just want to get close so I'm not spending more time and effort on my manual trimmer than necessary. As for rocket science, I'm a retired aerospace engineer.
Not the answer you're looking for, but if it were me I'd put my efforts into motorizing that thing rather than chopping the brass. Ain't nobody got time for manual trimming. :lol:
I have an LE Wilson trimmer that can be adapted to a motor. I'm just getting back into reloading so I'm going old school until I have my process down and determine just how whizbang I want to get. Even with a motorized trimmer I'd still rather do a rough cut first.
Dreamsinger

Post by Dreamsinger »

golfindia wrote:Figure out where you need to cut the 223 to get you close. Put a little wad of JB weld in plastic wrap and sandwich between the vice jaws of the saw. Take your precut 223 case and smush it in the JB weld with the neck against the sawblade.

Thats how I made a 300blk jig. When the JB weld dries you can dremmel the edges
Great idea! Nothing like good old Yankee ingenuity!
vz58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vz58 »

We do make a dedicated jig for this too.

www.zepreloading.com

JB weld works too. Just slower cut rates