FC .300blk brass any good?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

760405reloader

Re: FC .300blk brass any good?

Post by 760405reloader »

Lol im only asking cause im a cheap bastard that loves to use all his leftovers :mrgreen: :lol:
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

760405reloader wrote:Oh im not looking to covert fc im talking about the fc brass with .300blk headstamp
My mistake. Good to go.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

760405reloader wrote:Hey everyone, i was just wondering if the .300blk fc brass is any good for reloading. I know the .223 fc isnt so great but i heard something about the .300blk fc being made by lake city. Looking to reload today and i want to be sure its good.
I have use FC 300 blackout brass and the only problem I have with it is that I must use a bullet that has a cannelure and crimp it good. Any bullet I tried without a cannelure would move forward in the case upon chambering. I found that converted LC 223 brass worked best for holding the bullets that don’t have a cannelure.
NRA life member.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Bgd wrote:
760405reloader wrote:Hey everyone, i was just wondering if the .300blk fc brass is any good for reloading. I know the .223 fc isnt so great but i heard something about the .300blk fc being made by lake city. Looking to reload today and i want to be sure its good.
I have use FC 300 blackout brass and the only problem I have with it is that I must use a bullet that has a cannelure and crimp it good. Any bullet I tried without a cannelure would move forward in the case upon chambering. I found that converted LC 223 brass worked best for holding the bullets that don’t have a cannelure.
Sounds like you aren't sizing the neck to get proper neck tension or you aren't seating the bullet deep enough. You should not have to crimp to get the bullet to stay in place.
Do you have that problem with all brass or just FC?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

rlandry6 wrote:
Bgd wrote:
Sounds like you aren't sizing the neck to get proper neck tension or you aren't seating the bullet deep enough. You should not have to crimp to get the bullet to stay in place.
Do you have that problem with all brass or just FC?
I even removed the expander button without any luck. it was impossible for me to get enough neck tension to keep the bullet from moving forward. This was with new FC 300 Blackout brass.

With LC 223 brass converted to 300 BLK I have had no issues.
NRA life member.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

What is the thickness of the FC neck?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

rlandry6 wrote:What is the thickness of the FC neck?
.011 on the FC neck thickness.

the bullets only jump .002 out of the case, but I did have one with a compressed load that jumped to the lands and blew a primer. I don't want any bullet jump. With the FC brass I use 115 Lehigh CC bullets and put a full crimp on them. no bullet jump after that.
NRA life member.
FatAlbert

Post by FatAlbert »

Senior silent operator: How do you know that the bullet "jumped to the lands"??? Have you tried to crush the neck to compare it with other brands? They could have over heated the necks when they annealed them?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

FatAlbert wrote:Senior silent operator: How do you know that the bullet "jumped to the lands"??? Have you tried to crush the neck to compare it with other brands? They could have over heated the necks when they annealed them?
Measure CBTO, insert bullet in magazine, chamber from mag letting bolt and carrier slam, extract round and re-measure CBTO.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.