8.5 inch pistol Failure To Eject

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

haribol

8.5 inch pistol Failure To Eject

Post by haribol »

I have a PSA upper with the 8.5" FN barrel. The bcg is PSA. I'm shooting a 148 gr FMJBT over 15 gr H110. With one in the chamber and an empty mag, it fires and the bcg holds open but the empty case just stays in the receiver. With more rounds in the mag, the chambered round fires and the empty case stays in the receiver jamming against the next round that's trying to feed from the magazine. The extractor and ejector seem normal. I've tried a standard recoil spring with a carbine buffer and a flat coil recoil spring with an H2 buffer; same results. Can you help me out with this problem? Thanks, Steve
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 8.5 inch pistol Failure To Eject

Post by cdl »

15 gr is kind of light in my opinion. But I sometimes wounder if I'm the only one that thinks that. Do other loads work?

H110 is magnum powder that likes a full case and a heavy crimp.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If the bolt locks back, there is not likely anything wrong with the load.

Most likely, there is a problem with the bolt. Either the spring under the ejector is week, the ejector is jammed, or more likely the springs under the extractor are weak and it can’t hold on to the case.

On rare occasions this can happen if the system is over gassed and the case is bound in the chamber making it impossible to extract but that’s not likely.

If the bolt is new, I would contact whoever you got it from. If it’s old or you don’t want to deal with it, there are enhancement kits that come with new springs and an O ring to provide better extraction.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bwframe

Post by bwframe »

A lot of smarter more experienced than I on here.

My KISS go to method of diagnosis for failure to run is to first try a different BCG. Evaluate from there.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

Try one of the small O rings under the extractor to increase tension. You can pick them up off ebay for cheap. If that's not it try a slight hotter load. Could be your gas block is not aligned and you are not getting quite enough gas to completely cycle it.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Boolit_Head wrote:Try one of the small O rings under the extractor to increase tension. You can pick them up off ebay for cheap. If that's not it try a slight hotter load. Could be your gas block is not aligned and you are not getting quite enough gas to completely cycle it.
#60 O-ring. Available from Lowes in a 10 pack for about $2 in the Plumbing Department.
haribol

Post by haribol »

Thanks, Everyone. I'm going to try a hotter load. Also, I've got a new Davidson Defense bcg coming to sub for the new PSA bcg. This shooting hobby can fill your spare time, can't it?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

haribol wrote:This shooting hobby can fill your spare time, can't it?
Yes, but it makes up for it by emptying your wallet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

haribol wrote:I have a PSA upper with the 8.5" FN barrel. The bcg is PSA. I'm shooting a 148 gr FMJBT over 15 gr H110. With one in the chamber and an empty mag, it fires and the bcg holds open but the empty case just stays in the receiver. With more rounds in the mag, the chambered round fires and the empty case stays in the receiver jamming against the next round that's trying to feed from the magazine. The extractor and ejector seem normal. I've tried a standard recoil spring with a carbine buffer and a flat coil recoil spring with an H2 buffer; same results. Can you help me out with this problem? Thanks, Steve

haribol wrote:Thanks, Everyone. I'm going to try a hotter load. Also, I've got a new Davidson Defense bcg coming to sub for the new PSA bcg. This shooting hobby can fill your spare time, can't it?
How will a hotter load solve the problem?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Yeah, if it locks back, the load is making the bolt travel far enough.

The problem lies somewhere within the bolt, and likely what Dellet suggested looking at.

If you have a different bolt, try it and go from there.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.