In search for a sub minute 200 yard subsonic bullet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

In search for a sub minute 200 yard subsonic bullet

Post by Bob the nailer »

As the thread suggests I am going to try to crack one minute of angle at 200 with 300Blk subsonic. I've done two shots in 1/2" with the Rainier Wedge 180's but it's damn tough to keep consistent. Any suggestions on bullets?
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: In search for a sub minute 200 yard subsonic bullet

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Well that is a unicorn. Not saying it isn’t possible, just saying it will be talked about for generations if true.

Problem isn’t going to be just the bullet. You will also have to spend a lot of time on brass prep.

I will give my full response in the morning, too tired to start now. I am sure Dellet will chime in as well, he is as knowledgeable as anyone.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Looking over my log from the 200 yard challenge, I'd have to say I don't have a clue. :lol:

That said, I did have better luck with 175-180 grain bullets like the 175 TMK...never could seem to get the 200+ grain ELD-type bullets to work as well.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

First thought was 240 SMK. Then 208 Amax or ELD.

After that something like a 125 SST, 150 Berger flatbase or any of the Partitions for a challenge that would at least be frustrating without seeming impossible.

Maybe time to resurrect the challenge, a lot of knowledge has accumulated in the last couple years that needs to be put to the test.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

I've looked thru the 52 pages of the 200 yard challange to gleen info however remember I want to do this with subs. I can't find the card I shot at 200 with the Wedges that has two hits under an inch then my hold went to sh@ and I blew the other shots.
Dialing in the 200 isn't to bad with the ATN X-sight II scope as elevation is done digital. rebel whats your take on the Laupra 200 grn rbbt subs?

I told myself I need a brake from subs....then this started bugging me. :mrgreen:

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

I thought we had a card or two posted that went under moa. Lots to dig through though.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

SwampDog_13 wrote:I thought we had a card or two posted that went under moa. Lots to dig through though.
Jcm800 did with the 175 SMK. On page 20:
Jcm800 wrote:Changed a few things from last month
PMC brass....turned necks to .011, bullet runout less than .001...1gr less capacity than LC
Remington 7 1/2 primers
Brass match preped

700 aac 16x weaver
SMK 175
6.0gr universal
2.280 oal

2.225 - .308= 1.917.... 5 @ 200YDS
Edit: And certifiable shot .8 MOA at 300 yards (!) using N105 and 208 ELD's. Page 44.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Some darn good shootin there!

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

My most accurate bullet for subsonic has been the Lapua 200FMJ-BT but I've yet the find the powder in 300blk that would give me the right consistency and single digit SD/ES but they are the perfect match for subsonic 308. With my DTA 16" 1/8 twist I load them at 2.8 with 11gr of Trail boss. 5 shot, 1000 fps. 2.4SD and 5.0 ES. Using Lapua brass and bushing dies. No issues hitting a 3x3 steel at 250 yrds. Scope is a Athlon Cronus 4.5-29, it's like cheating.

For 300 blk, on the R700 so far I've been playing with the Berger 175 OTM because I had 500 on hand and they are not coal sensitive and don't mind the jump so I can have the right case fill and consistency with VV Tinstar. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot at more than 150 because I was troubleshooting some primer issues with the R700. I load them at 2.26 with 7.5gr of tinstar but I think I can improve on this load with Berger 185 juggs.

For the Noveske 10" AR15, I use 10.2gr of N120 and 240gr SMK at 2.26. Gives me 980 fps and 10 SD and I'm 1-1.5 moa to 130yrds with a Leupold VX6HD 1-6 in milrad.
I bought those SMK 240 on sale and they're discontinued so probably will go with Hornady 225 or similar once I run out.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Bob the nailer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am I've looked thru the 52 pages of the 200 yard challange to gleen info however remember I want to do this with subs. I can't find the card I shot at 200 with the Wedges that has two hits under an inch then my hold went to sh@ and I blew the other shots.
Dialing in the 200 isn't to bad with the ATN X-sight II scope as elevation is done digital. rebel whats your take on the Laupra 200 grn rbbt subs?

I told myself I need a brake from subs....then this started bugging me. :mrgreen:
Bob, I swear I had answered your question back in January but apparently I didn't. Forgive my rudeness.
It has proved very accurate at 100 yards, after that I think the rebated BT starts to work against it and the SMK stays a bit more stable. Just a theory, no conclusive evidence other than targets.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.