Length of New Brass

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Length of New Brass

Post by dellet »

You need to ask Santa for a copy of this.

https://www.buyzedikerbooks.com/products/top-grade-ammo

This is probably one of the best books out there for a new reloader and it would not hurt a few old timers to read it.

This is a sample from a Blog that adapts portions of the book for weekly tips.

http://www.mssblog.com/tag/top-grade-ammo/
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:Yep, I suppose they would, but I think I would howl louder if my loads had excessive headspace in a correctly cut chamber because the brass was manufactured too short. On the other side there are probably a lot of chambers with a lot of variation so it has to be one size fits all.
I'm not going to holler until I see what the actual headspace is in my chamber. I was just wondering why they were made short.
Okay, now I'm confused. Trim length does not affect headspace for a bottleneck cartridge.
What do you expect, the poor guy started a thread on headspace using a modified case the other day and everyone told him how to figure out when a bullet jammed. :oops:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

dellet wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:Yep, I suppose they would, but I think I would howl louder if my loads had excessive headspace in a correctly cut chamber because the brass was manufactured too short. On the other side there are probably a lot of chambers with a lot of variation so it has to be one size fits all.
I'm not going to holler until I see what the actual headspace is in my chamber. I was just wondering why they were made short.
Because no has ever died from short brass.

Have you checked it before and after sizing?
Good point. No I havn't checked it. I'm not going to even try to size it until I know what the headspace is on the rifle, then I'll size it so the shoulder is bumped a couple of thousandths. I just need to load a few rounds and shoot them to get some fired cases to measure.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Too short is never a problem as long as it holds the bullet. I trim my 300 Blackout brass to 1.345"-1.350". Best part is I never have to trim.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
44Man

Post by 44Man »

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.... That brass you are measuring is short in the neck and will have absolutely no effect on head space which is from the base to the shoulder. Short neck length would only affect the bullet tension and then would have to be over .0100 to show a meaningful difference. Don't sweat a few thousands, it WILL grow and probably be in spec after 2 or 3 firings. Load, shoot, and be happy!