Match bullets for subsonic

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Match bullets for subsonic

Post by bearcatrp »

Anyone consider using a match bullet for subsonic? Figured since a match bullet will open up easier than a hunting bullet, could possibly work. Since Hornady won’t sell the 190 sub bullets, thought I would consider reloading match to save some money.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Match bullets for subsonic

Post by Boolit_Head »

Match bullets are not designed to open up. The general behavior they exhibit is to pencil straight through.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

bearcatrp wrote:Anyone consider using a match bullet for subsonic? Figured since a match bullet will open up easier than a hunting bullet, could possibly work. Since Hornady won’t sell the 190 sub bullets, thought I would consider reloading match to save some money.
The cartridge was designed around a heavy match bullet but that doesn't make it a good option when expansion is your goal.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

bearcatrp wrote:Anyone consider using a match bullet for subsonic? Figured since a match bullet will open up easier than a hunting bullet, could possibly work. Since Hornady won’t sell the 190 sub bullets, thought I would consider reloading match to save some money.
Reloading Match bullets saves money? Last I checked 190 gr .308 SMK's, Nosler Comps, etc. were not what I consider cheap-$40/100 are the cheapest and they go up from there, plus they don't expand, even at supersonic velocities.

If you want cheap and expandable, try cast HP's.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Just thought I would ask. Am reading more threads on successful hunting stories with match ammo. The Hornady 190 subs cost around $22 bucks unless you can find a sweet deal on them. Then after watching this video of Hornady 123 match gel test, even though it was supers, figured I would ask.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=in9FB5WbKWM
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Match bullets don't "open up", they blow apart at HIGH VELOCITY. Some don't even do that unless the meplat ix opened up. This question has appeared so many times that I actually tire of it.
Not picking on you bearcat, really, I just wonder what it takes for folks to wrap their head around at 9mm speeds bullets behave differently than they do at 2900 fps.
That being said, every post I have ever read about hunting with match bullets ends up being an ethical hunter pissing match.
I recently had a customer that had been shooting for around 5 years, hunting for 3 and just found out that Federal MK weren't designed for hunting. He felt awful and was searching for a replacement for Gold Medal Match loaded ammo. I asked him how many deer he had lost, he said none - they were all DRT :shock:
The Blackout, with it's lower velocities can make a bullet designed to expand in a 308, pencil through a deer. Plenty of offerings out there that work for subs and supers. Most are as cheap as match bullets.
edit - I watched 30 seconds of the video - 6.5 Grendel, MV 2580, shot at 5 yards or so. Why would this be considered for a realistic hunting scenario?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

And after all that, gds killed a dandy buck a few years back with a 208 A -max. The bullet tumbled, if my memory serves me correct, and Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail. YMMV
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Appreciate you setting me straight. I’ll keep buying Hornady 190 subs when I catch them on sale. Think last couple of boxes I caught on sale was $17 bucks a box.

Btw, what’s up with this web site? Have to enter my info twice to post anything.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

It can glitch when being worked on occasionally, happened once to me today.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Happens every time past 3 months. Have tried to contribute but gave up due to this.