S&B Brass....

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: S&B Brass....

Post by rlandry6 »

Unless I'm mistaken, the brass listed in the good/bad lists are converted .223 and the listing is based on the neck thickness, with .011-.012" being the max range, and that would be to run through an AR. It's also possible for brass to "spring back", and I've had that happen, but I don't know if primer pockets would do that because of the thickness of the metal.
As far as the Super Swage, it works 99.99% of the time, but I've also had brass that I swaged in mine and have to finally have the crimps cut by hand, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for all of this but I'm not a metallurgist or a machinist so my knowledge on the subject is limited.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

If 'twere me, I'd try another primer before I passed judgement on the brass. Try a Winchester, Federal, or CCI primer.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I pulled out some once fired S&B and it is on the tight side. The pocket is also very round on the bottom so it takes more force to seat a primer flush.

Pockets that had been prepped by truing flash holes and squaring the pockets were fine.

Many of the European primers are slightly larger diameter, many people prefer to use them on brass that the pockets have loosed up some to get a few more firings.

I would hit the pockets with a uniform ing tool and call it god to go.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

dellet wrote:I pulled out some once fired S&B and it is on the tight side. The pocket is also very round on the bottom so it takes more force to seat a primer flush.

Pockets that had been prepped by truing flash holes and squaring the pockets were fine.

Many of the European primers are slightly larger diameter, many people prefer to use them on brass that the pockets have loosed up some to get a few more firings.

I would hit the pockets with a uniform ing tool and call it god to go.
That's probably why I have never had any problems with S&B brass. Trueing primer pockets/deburring flash holes are two of the standard things that I do with all brass, even factory new.
KyleC
Silent Operator

Post by KyleC »

I ended up resizing in a Lee pacesetter die and running all brass through my RCBS press mounted primer pocket swager. This has fixed most of the problem pieces.

Apparently I had my RCBS sizing die set up wrong. The depriming rod is slightly bent. Apparently I was mashing the case web with the case mouth resizer. There was nothing during resizing that led me to believe anything was "off". Everything was smooth.