New to Group and New to Reloading

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to Group and New to Reloading

Post by rlandry6 »

Is this back to being a serious thread or is that a trick question?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

There's a law in Delaware that states anyone reloading Blackout with H110 must use this website:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

NativeTexan1944 wrote:
smustian wrote:
NativeTexan1944 wrote: I do not plan to load to max but perhaps 1 or 2 grain(s) lower. My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
You will find that H110 works best in the top part of the published load data so load your test ladder accordingly. For example, if max load is 18.0 grains, then I would load 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, 17.8, 18.0g as my ladder then go see how they performed.
Some "DUH" questions if you don't mind sir:
1. Where may I find the published data for H110?
2. Which primer would be the one I should use: 400 or 450? I know 450 is a magnum primer.Would I need that hot of a primer for 18 grains of powder?

Thank you.
Published data is generally found in publications.

Being new to loading, you should have at least one hard print manual, that has the cartridge you will be starting with. Hornady, Sierrra, Nosler, and Western powders all have data for the Blackout. Data is also available online but generally has no information on the actual process. You will want that information.

I prefer magnum primers with H110, others don’t, that will be trial and error.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

NativeTexan1944 wrote:
rebel wrote:Some of you guys really worry me :shock:
How about, in NC there is a law that if you miss a deer your next hunt must be conducted naked except for an orange hat. Google that :mrgreen:
Naked?? My bright white flesh will scare all the game away. :lol: :lol:
That's why they make camo sticks.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

NativeTexan1944 wrote:
smustian wrote:
NativeTexan1944 wrote: I do not plan to load to max but perhaps 1 or 2 grain(s) lower. My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
You will find that H110 works best in the top part of the published load data so load your test ladder accordingly. For example, if max load is 18.0 grains, then I would load 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, 17.8, 18.0g as my ladder then go see how they performed.
2. Which primer would be the one I should use: 400 or 450? I know 450 is a magnum primer.Would I need that hot of a primer for 18 grains of powder?

Thank you.
Hodgdon has a manual that covers all of their powders-H110 is a Hodgdon powder-and that of others. Lyman #50 is a great manual and has data on cast bullets as well.

Any small rifle primer should work. Some prefer magnum primers, especially if in colder climates, but I have used Winchester WSR, CCI 400, and CCI #41 with no problems.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

I would recommend the hornady #10 reloading manual for decent 300blk loads. I would also recommend the Lyman 49-50 editions for simple loading process and explanations. Those will get you moving in the right direction.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:I prefer magnum primers with H110, others don’t, that will be trial and error.
Same here. While not required by any means, my testing has shown lower ES with BR4 and 450 primers with H110.
NativeTexan1944

Post by NativeTexan1944 »

dellet wrote:
NativeTexan1944 wrote:
smustian wrote:

Thank you.
Published data is generally found in publications.

Being new to loading, you should have at least one hard print manual, that has the cartridge you will be starting with. Hornady, Sierrra, Nosler, and Western powders all have data for the Blackout. Data is also available online but generally has no information on the actual process. You will want that information.

I prefer magnum primers with H110, others don’t, that will be trial and error.
Thank you for your input. I'm leaning towards using magnum primers with the H110 which I will try first. I plan to use Hornady 120 gr FMJ bullets to plink and 120 gr Barnes Vor-TX bullets solid copper bullets to hunt. I thought about SST bullets to plink and hunt but I don't like using lead core bullets anymore and they are more expensive than FMJ. I plan to sight in with the FMJ to plink and re-sight in with the Barnes to hunt. Am I weird? Don't answer that. LoL
In God We Trust
WARLOCK651

Post by WARLOCK651 »

Hello all,.. I just joined your group (300BlkTalk) so I'm a newbie here, however I've been a handloader for 40 some years now for both metallic cartridge and shotshell,.. just thought I'd stop in and say howdy to ya' all,.. I just finished with my 300 BLK build a couple weeks ago, 8)
NativeTexan1944

Post by NativeTexan1944 »

Freedom1973 wrote:I would recommend the hornady #10 reloading manual for decent 300blk loads. I would also recommend the Lyman 49-50 editions for simple loading process and explanations. Those will get you moving in the right direction.

Thank you for your input. Since I will be using Hornady bullets, I will get the #10 reloading book. Can't afford both books right now but I will keep the Lyman book in mind. Thanks again.
In God We Trust