New to Group and New to Reloading

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

NativeTexan1944

New to Group and New to Reloading

Post by NativeTexan1944 »

Good Day Folks. Thanks to the Admins for adding me. I'm finding the group all fascinating.

I just acquired a 300 black pistol: 10.5 inch barrel. I would like to hunt with my AR pistol at 100-150 yards max. I realize it can shoot farther but my old eyes aren't what they used to be.

I currently shoot Remington 120 gr OTFB rounds for practice and Barnes Vortex TAC-TX 120 gr BT Copper rounds for hunting (2150 fps - 16 inch bbl). I realize the speed would be a little less than that out of 10.5 inch bbl.
I would like to reload and duplicate the Barnes Ballistics with a cheap bullet for practice.

I am new to reloading so any help would be appreciated.

NativeTexan1944
In God We Trust
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to Group and New to Reloading

Post by smustian »

Get some 125g SST bullets in bulk. Get some H110/W296. Lots of online data available. Load your ladder and do some testing. Once you find your best load, you will have a relatively cheap practice round BUT it can be used for hunting as well. The 125 SST has been field proven many times over.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

^ this!
peace through superior firepower
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

This and.....
Work up your H110/W296 a bit at a time. Watch for pressure signs - heavy ejector swipes, flattened primers ( use google images for a visual ). Get a load manual if you don't have one, Hornady 10 works. The SST has a proven track record with COALs of 2.10 to 2.12. That I will give you but read, learn and develop your charge weight and report back.
I'd rather have you here as someone that developed a load and needed it tweaked than starting you from scratch. Won't learn anything that way. Have fun and welcome.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
NativeTexan1944

smustian wrote:Get some 125g SST bullets in bulk. Get some H110/W296. Lots of online data available. Load your ladder and do some testing. Once you find your best load, you will have a relatively cheap practice round BUT it can be used for hunting as well. The 125 SST has been field proven many times over.

Thank you for your informative reply. I will make a note of what folks tell me so it won't get lost in the feed. I hope to reload for many years and learn for the folks here. Thank you again.
In God We Trust
NativeTexan1944

rebel wrote:This and.....
Work up your H110/W296 a bit at a time. Watch for pressure signs - heavy ejector swipes, flattened primers ( use google images for a visual ). Get a load manual if you don't have one, Hornady 10 works. The SST has a proven track record with COALs of 2.10 to 2.12. That I will give you but read, learn and develop your charge weight and report back.
I'd rather have you here as someone that developed a load and needed it tweaked than starting you from scratch. Won't learn anything that way. Have fun and welcome.
Thank you for your reply. I will make note and be sure and check as you described. I do not plan to load to max but perhaps 1 or 2 grain(s) lower. My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
In God We Trust
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

NativeTexan1944 wrote: I do not plan to load to max but perhaps 1 or 2 grain(s) lower. My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
You will find that H110 works best in the top part of the published load data so load your test ladder accordingly. For example, if max load is 18.0 grains, then I would load 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, 17.8, 18.0g as my ladder then go see how they performed.
NativeTexan1944

smustian wrote:
NativeTexan1944 wrote: I do not plan to load to max but perhaps 1 or 2 grain(s) lower. My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
You will find that H110 works best in the top part of the published load data so load your test ladder accordingly. For example, if max load is 18.0 grains, then I would load 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, 17.8, 18.0g as my ladder then go see how they performed.
That's a good idea. I shall do as you described. I orders some reloading tools and I'm waiting on them to arrive. I can't wait to start. Thank you!
In God We Trust
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

NativeTexan1944 wrote:My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
I believe there is a new Texas law that if your max range is 75 then you must hunt subsonic. Something about protecting the hearing of our more sensitive wildlife. :lol:

Seriously, if that's your range it may be something to consider. Tons of fun, although it is more challenging.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

bangbangping wrote:
NativeTexan1944 wrote:My hunting is reserved for short ranges of 8-50 yards but 75 yards may be the exception. I like close. Thanks again.
I believe there is a new Texas law that if your max range is 75 then you must hunt subsonic. Something about protecting the hearing of our more sensitive wildlife. :lol:
I haven't seen or heard that. Got a link?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel