Powder Selection - Slow supersonic plinking load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dajesterman

Powder Selection - Slow supersonic plinking load

Post by dajesterman »

Good Afternoon!

I've been consuming the great information on this forum for the past 3 or 4 years and finally have a question I don't think has been asked. But first, thank you for all of the collective knowledge that has been passed along thus far. I have learned a ton lurking.

I am looking to develop a low power load for general plinking and close range use on steel (20-25 yds). I plan to use the plated Accura Outdoors 120gr projectile (~0.12 ea) out of a 10.5" LMT SBR (pistol length gas system, 1:7 twist) with a suppressor and would like to limit the energy as much as possible to hopefully save my steel from pitting and increase safety.

I've read that going below published loads can product unexpected pressure issues on some powders but I would like to slow the projectile below the 1900 FPS I see in most lower limit powder charges while also maintaining reliable cycling.

I plan to load these round on an XL650 with Dillon powder measure and have Titegroup, W296, Lil Gun, and Trail Boss on hand. I'm happy to buy another powder but one of the powders I already have would be preferable.

What powder would be best to download in order to reduce velocity while still maintaining the correct gas volume and bullet stabilization?

Thanks!
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Re: Powder Selection - Slow supersonic plinking load

Post by AggieJim »

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Look at 300 Blackout Loads for 208 Gr. Hornady A-Max and 220 Gr Sierra HPBT.

Both have velocities around 1,050 FPS and use either Winchester 296 or Hodgdon Lil'Gun.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

dajesterman wrote:Good Afternoon!

What powder would be best to download in order to reduce velocity while still maintaining the correct gas volume and bullet stabilization?

Thanks!
Probably 1680?

I’ve got no clue if it will meet all your objectives but I think it will with that size bullet. You will certainly be a lower velocity threshold using that powder. And the beauty is that you really will have a hard time using so much 1680 powder that you have a dangerous load on your hands. If it doesn’t cycle, just add some more.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I would go with a faster powder than most normal sub powders. The problem with light bullets at low velocity is unburned powder. Things get real dirty, quickly and that can cause cycling issues.

I use 4227 for reduced loads because it burns clean and has good bulk. You can probably start with 15 grains with the bullet seated as deep as possible and work it down a bit from there unti it quits cycling.

Without knowing more about the bullet dimensions and shape that’s probably a good start.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I do exactly what you describe using IMR4198.

I got a ton of blemished berrys plated AK (.311) bullets for $0.07/each and ran them through a 308 sizer die.

They aren't stellar performers, but good for plinking. Definitely keep them below 1900fps, or else they shed plating.
dajesterman

Post by dajesterman »

Thanks for the responses!

I will give IMR4227 a try at 15 grains and work my way down.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

+1 on IMR4227
I have had very good results across several platforms.