300BLK Subsonic Newbie

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dugdidit

300BLK Subsonic Newbie

Post by dugdidit »

Hey guys I'm pretty new here and to reloading. I'm wanting to load some sub300 and have been reading here, other online articles and various load data.

I found were A1680 is/was the standard. In fact I read somewhere that 1680 is the powder AAC uses/used to design this round. However, I've also read that 1680 is dirty. But more importantly I cant find anywhere locally that sells it so I have to order it. I've read some other popular powders are Vihtavouri N120, IMR4227 and Hodgdon Lil'Gun.

Accurate's load data recommends the Sierra HPBT, but at $.072 per bullet I might as well just but factory loaded subsonic ammo after I buy powder, primers and the time involved.

I'm a little overwhelmed at this point! I'm just looking for a good all around subsonic plinking round that I can run in a 8" SBR w/ an Omega300 can. I'm not trying to use this round for hunting, target or accuracy....... just your everyday backyard coke can plinking. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300BLK Subsonic Newbie

Post by Mike7.62 »

I use Trail Boss, A1680, H110, and IMR4198. The H110 and A1680 can also be used for either supers or subs. For plinking subs, I recommend finding some bulk 150 gr FMJ's and using either IMR4198 or Trail Boss. You can also use RL7, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

As far as A1680 being "dirty", that's kind of a relative term. FFG black powder and Pyrodex are dirty; A1680 will work fine in an AR, or any bolt or single shot. If you don't have it use something else, but it's a great powder for supers, and can be used for subs with heavier bullets with great success.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

IMR 4227 is a great powder for cast and jacketed bullets. Lil’Gun is great for jacketed but because it burns hotter it can melt a cast Bullet.

With IMR 4227 start with 10 grains and go up or down to get the velocity you want.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dugdidit

Post by dugdidit »

Thank you guys! I was planning on shooting some sort of FMJ bullet for sure, where is the best place to find them in bulk. Looks like 200gr range for sub's.

Have you ever tried Everglades Ammunition? http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/3 ... llets.html
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Nope. Never have used them. My usual sources of supply are Graf's, Midway-USA, and Mid South Shooter's Supply-only because I can drive to Clarksville and pick up. Paying both sales tax and shipping is against my nature. There are quite a few more out there such as Widener's and Natchez, and Widener's usually has some sort of bulk FMJ's available. I don't use either anymore because of the tax/shipping issue.

As a matter of fact, Widener's indeed has three different types of 147 gr FMJ's available:

https://www.wideners.com/reloading-supp ... 08-bullets

Good shooting.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... -50ct.html

Blemished and overrun stuff at SPS....
dugdidit

Post by dugdidit »

Okay thank you!!! But any .308 FMJ should work right? When I looked at that Everglades it said their 300blk bullets were .309 dia and that worried me.

Anyone ever used Berry's Bullets? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41953 ... pire-point
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dugdidit wrote:Okay thank you!!! But any .308 FMJ should work right? When I looked at that Everglades it said their 300blk bullets were .309 dia and that worried me.

Anyone ever used Berry's Bullets? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41953 ... pire-point
.309 is perfectly fine, but if you're going with a plated bullet there are cheaper options. Midway has the Rainier 180 grain plated for 12 cents each. You don't need 200 grains to get a functioning sub load in your rifle.
dugdidit

Post by dugdidit »

bangbangping wrote:.309 is perfectly fine, but if you're going with a plated bullet there are cheaper options. Midway has the Rainier 180 grain plated for 12 cents each. You don't need 200 grains to get a functioning sub load in your rifle.
Perfect, I'll give that a look. I just assumed i had to be in that 200gr range to be subsonic; at least that's the way I was reading the Hornady book I bought.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dugdidit wrote:
bangbangping wrote:.309 is perfectly fine, but if you're going with a plated bullet there are cheaper options. Midway has the Rainier 180 grain plated for 12 cents each. You don't need 200 grains to get a functioning sub load in your rifle.
Perfect, I'll give that a look. I just assumed i had to be in that 200gr range to be subsonic; at least that's the way I was reading the Hornady book I bought.
Pistol gas and suppressed are much more forgiving with subs. If you had an unsuppressed 16" with carbine gas it would be different. But if you can't easily work up a functioning load with 180's and any of the powders mentioned something is seriously wrong.