Source for inexpensive subsonic bullets?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

sellersm

Source for inexpensive subsonic bullets?

Post by sellersm »

My can will be out of jail soon, so I'd like to begin loading up some subsonic rounds for the family to shoot. I know I need to test them for stability, so I figure I may as well get a head start on some good range loads when the can arrives...

I'm looking for some inexpensive sources for subsonic target bullets, nothing for hunting/expansion/etc., just general plinking and grinning at the range!

These will be fired mostly from either my 10" AR-15 in 300 BLK with a Ballistic Advantage barrel (upper is from Andro Corp), or a 16" BA barreled upper that I built.

Thanks...

ETA: to make this more crystal clear: I'm asking for "bullets", not ammunition! I'm asking for bullets to reload, and am asking about the best current sources you good folks have found for inexpensive bullets adequate for inexpensive subsonic rounds for plinking, range fun!
Last edited by sellersm on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: Source for inexpensive subsonic bullets?

Post by bearcatrp »

Best to learn to reload. That way you can use whatever bullets you find cheap. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of the store prices. Google will be your friend. Just got my can for my 10 inch 300 BO. Love it. Spent the money on Hornady 190 subs. I do shoot my full loads that I shoot out of my 16 inch 300 BO. What’s your plan for your setup, self defense, just plinking, hunting? Mine is self defense but do plan on hunting with supers. Want to go shoot some hogs down south.
sellersm

Post by sellersm »

bearcatrp wrote:Best to learn to reload. That way you can use whatever bullets you find cheap. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of the store prices. Google will be your friend. Just got my can for my 10 inch 300 BO. Love it. Spent the money on Hornady 190 subs. I do shoot my full loads that I shoot out of my 16 inch 300 BO. What’s your plan for your setup, self defense, just plinking, hunting? Mine is self defense but do plan on hunting with supers. Want to go shoot some hogs down south.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, being that my post is in the Handloading section and I'm asking for "bullets", not ammunition!

I do reload and plan to reload, and am asking about the best current sources you good folks have found for inexpensive bullets adequate for inexpensive subsonic rounds for plinking, range fun!

Thanks.
Bad_B

Post by Bad_B »

The cheapest Ive used are Berrys Bullets 220g FMJ plated bullets, MSRP $54.99 for 200 or .27 ea not including tax or shipping, Cabela’s carries them as well. Just FYI they are .309 and a tight fit as they are not boat tails. I skipped the Lee factory crimp on mine and didn’t see any setback with 9.1g of H110 powder. I hope that helps, good luck!

Brian
sellersm

Post by sellersm »

Bad_B wrote:The cheapest Ive used are Berrys Bullets 220g FMJ plated bullets, MSRP $54.99 for 200 or .27 ea not including tax or shipping, Cabela’s carries them as well. Just FYI they are .309 and a tight fit as they are not boat tails. I skipped the Lee factory crimp on mine and didn’t see any setback with 9.1g of H110 powder. I hope that helps, good luck!

Brian
Thx Brian.

Anyone tried the Rainier 180gr bullets? https://shop.rainierballistics.com/bull ... ut-tcj-309
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Frequent the web sites (at least once per week) of sellers of pulled or seconds or overrun bullets. Also get on their email lists (some will send you discount codes to use). I've gotten about 5-6 thousand Sierra 220gr Match Kings in the 20 to 25 cent range delivered that way. Hint: If you see them and can afford them, JUMP on them immediately, as they don't last long. Do a web search for "pulled bullets" for example...lots of hits...another thing to search for is "bullet seconds".

Watch for forum members posting here of such deals (after they've sent in their order!). I got about 750 pulled Barnes 110gr Black Tips that way at about 20 cents each. A weird one I came across was 130gr Barnes all copper hollow point bullets pulled from Remington 300 Blackout Hog Hammer ammo...I think they were in the 17 cent range...they've never been made available as reloading components from Barnes.

If you find a good deal and want a lot of them (or you have friends that also want them), ASK the seller if you can get a price break by ordering a larger quantity. It's happened multiple times for me and my friends. I think the largest quantity of any bullets my shooting group has bought in bulk at one time was about a *50,000 bullet order. I know we've done 10,000 to 20,000 bullet orders. Sniffing out these deals is sorta hobby in its self.

* They wouldn't all fit in the mail truck with all the regular mail. Post Office asked if I'd come to their loading dock, and they'd load them in my vehicle...I sure did, as my mail carrier treats me right in delivering packages to my little farm.
sellersm

Post by sellersm »

Whole Bunches wrote:Frequent the web sites (at least once per week) of sellers of pulled or seconds or overrun bullets. Also get on their email lists (some will send you discount codes to use). I've gotten about 5-6 thousand Sierra 220gr Match Kings in the 20 to 25 cent range delivered that way. Hint: If you see them and can afford them, JUMP on them immediately, as they don't last long. Do a web search for "pulled bullets" for example...lots of hits...another thing to search for is "bullet seconds".

Watch for forum members posting here of such deals (after they've sent in their order!). I got about 750 pulled Barnes 110gr Black Tips that way at about 20 cents each. A weird one I came across was 130gr Barnes all copper hollow point bullets pulled from Remington 300 Blackout Hog Hammer ammo...I think they were in the 17 cent range...they've never been made available as reloading components from Barnes.

If you find a good deal and want a lot of them (or you have friends that also want them), ASK the seller if you can get a price break by ordering a larger quantity. It's happened multiple times for me and my friends. I think the largest quantity of any bullets my shooting group has bought in bulk at one time was about a *50,000 bullet order. I know we've done 10,000 to 20,000 bullet orders. Sniffing out these deals is sorta hobby in its self.

* They wouldn't all fit in the mail truck with all the regular mail. Post Office asked if I'd come to their loading dock, and they'd load them in my vehicle...I sure did, as my mail carrier treats me right in delivering packages to my little farm.
Thx. Very helpful! I know of a few places that sells pulled bullets, will scour for some more sources!
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

sellersm wrote:
Bad_B wrote:The cheapest Ive used are Berrys Bullets 220g FMJ plated bullets, MSRP $54.99 for 200 or .27 ea not including tax or shipping, Cabela’s carries them as well. Just FYI they are .309 and a tight fit as they are not boat tails. I skipped the Lee factory crimp on mine and didn’t see any setback with 9.1g of H110 powder. I hope that helps, good luck!

Brian
Thx Brian.

Anyone tried the Rainier 180gr bullets? https://shop.rainierballistics.com/bull ... ut-tcj-309

Good subsonic accuracy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHf8Dz5ysOQ&t=17s
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Hornady makes a 225gr HPBT (#30903) that I use for my heavy subs with H110. Big Supply has them for $27/100, which is where I usually get them. If you have an adjustable gas block and oversized port, 175gr M118's/SMK's/NCC's can often be found cheap and work well.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Leatherhead 223's are alright plinking bullets.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.