Which handload would you pick?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Gordo

Which handload would you pick?

Post by Gordo »

First post, but been reading the forum for a few months now (shortly after I put together my 7.5" 300 pistol). Been reloading for about 20yrs now. All loads worked up and verified safe in my gun, as always start low.
I wanted a light, short range in the woods whitetail gun. My primary bolt gun is way too long and heavy for walking around. The following are three loads I've worked up, and wanted opinions on what you would go with. Max range 100yds, deer size 200lbs dressed.

Sig brass and rem 7.5 for all.

Barnes 110 black tip at 2060fps
19.8gr H110
2.25oal

Hornady 125sst at 1982fps
19gr H110
2.125oal

Speer 150 gold dot at 1875fps
23.2gr CFE BLK
2.24oal

All have grouped very well, and the gold dot load is close to half MOA. I'm just running a Sig Romeo red dot and am keeping everything under 100yds so pinpoint accuracy isn't required.
So, which load would you run for whitetail?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which handload would you pick?

Post by smustian »

The 110 black tip and the 125 SST have both been proven to work very well in field testing. If I had to choose, I would go with the 110 black tip because of the extra velocity. Not sure but the 110 probably has a little better expansion as well.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I have killed 5 deer and a bunch of hogs with the 125 gr SST. all but one were one shot kills. my load is 18.3 grs of H-110/W-296. it is my go to bullet for Black Out hunting. they chrono around 2170 fps in 16" bbl.
recently I have my Mini 14 sighted in for the 150 gr. Gold Dot. my load for the 150 is 17.7 gr of H-110.they chrono around 1950 fps. they shoot real tight out of the Mini but I haven't killed anything with them yet.
peace through superior firepower
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

I know the black tips are the tried and true, but the 150's look promising from what I've seen from dellet.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Gordo wrote:I know the black tips are the tried and true, but the 150's look promising from what I've seen from dellet.
Yes they will ethically kill a paper target but how do they perform on a live animal? Don't think I would be shooting 200# deer until I saw expansion testing and use on smaller game first.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

smustian wrote:
Gordo wrote:I know the black tips are the tried and true, but the 150's look promising from what I've seen from dellet.
Yes they will ethically kill a paper target but how do they perform on a live animal? Don't think I would be shooting 200# deer until I saw expansion testing and use on smaller game first.
dellet did it smus. You may not have seen it but it worked just like a gold dot should have. The problem the OP has to figure out is that with a MV of 1875 and a short barrel, range is limited. Stated 100 yard limit and that's where I would stay under. Can't exactly remember what dellet downloaded that to for his expansion test , not enough coffee in me yet.
It's a great bullet. You are pistol hunting basically so treat it as such.
edit - here is the thread
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=101961
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Barnes 110gr black tip
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

rebel wrote:
smustian wrote:
dellet did it smus. You may not have seen it but it worked just like a gold dot should have. The problem the OP has to figure out is that with a MV of 1875 and a short barrel, range is limited. Stated 100 yard limit and that's where I would stay under. Can't exactly remember what dellet downloaded that to for his expansion test , not enough coffee in me yet.
It's a great bullet. You are pistol hunting basically so treat it as such.
edit - here is the thread
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=101961
He had double diameter expansion at 1700fps. 100yds would be about impossible where I plan on hunting with this. It'll all be under that. I know the cartridge, along with the platform I'm using it in has its restrictions. The field is what the win mag is for, not the blackout pistol.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

cross the SST off the list. at 1982 fps, your 100 yd impact velocity is going to be at or below minimum expansion velocity for the bullet so performance could be limited or even end up acting like a FMJ and just icepick thru

if you can find a powder that gets you a little more velocity they should work just fine for you, but i'd suggest looking for something in the 2100 fps range to reach 100 yds with them.

HTH
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.