Shoulder length

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shoulder length

Post by Omega »

TheOhioState wrote:Lee single stage. I screw the die I’m down to the shell holder, back the lever off give her another 1/2 turn and hand tighten the nut down. Another note I tried taking the top blog off to remove the de capping rod just to look at it see if something is off. I can’t remove that bolt to save my life and I’m no small boy. Something seems out of wack either my hillbilly ass is doing some very wrong or something isn’t right. But I’ve read a lot of people complain about lee dies for 300 blk. Last note I also read with rcbs does if you send them in 5 spent shells the will adjust your die correctly.
With my Lee dies, I had to take about .002" or so off the shell holder to get them to form correctly. Reloading was no issue, but forming them would leave a few hard to load. My Hornady dies on the other hand forms them perfectly. I did have to get a new zip spindle, free, because the threaded part was bent. Had a couple stuck cases before I found the issue. The expander was pulling out crooked and giving more resistance than the head could handle.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Everything you are saying, including the decapping pin, would lead me to the die. I would pick up a RCBS small base die set and go from there. You have to start isolating this by changing components as going through the same procedures with the same components are going to give the same results.
Just for the sake of clarity, list for us the exact sequence you are using in your reforming process. Maybe someone will pick up on something I missed, but at this point I'm going with the die. I'm not an authority on Lee dies but are you using a FL sizing die and not just a neck sizer, because a neck sizer won't bump the shoulder.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Someone earlier mentioned having to mod their shell holder. Some say that Lee shell holders are a little sloppy. Get a RCBS shell holder and try it. Might be a cheap fix for you.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TheOhioState wrote:Lee single stage. I screw the die I’m down to the shell holder, back the lever off give her another 1/2 turn and hand tighten the nut down. Another note I tried taking the top blog off to remove the de capping rod just to look at it see if something is off. I can’t remove that bolt to save my life and I’m no small boy. Something seems out of wack either my hillbilly ass is doing some very wrong or something isn’t right. But I’ve read a lot of people complain about lee dies for 300 blk. Last note I also read with rcbs does if you send them in 5 spent shells the will adjust your die correctly.
Jam nut for the de-capping rod on Lee dies sucks. It is a split, tapered thread that creates its own tension as a multiplier. You might be able to put the jam nut in a vise, then back the die body off that.

There is a small chance that what is happening is the rod is not adjusted properly and it is pulling the shoulder up as exits the shoulder into the neck. If you can get the rod out, try it. But I wouldn't waste much more time than that.

Get a Redding form and trim die to reduce the neck and set the shoulder, then use any die you want to form to finished size.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

smustian wrote:Someone earlier mentioned having to mod their shell holder. Some say that Lee shell holders are a little sloppy. Get a RCBS shell holder and try it. Might be a cheap fix for you.
I can verify that, when I use the Lee shell holder, a 9mm and a .40 cal will fit the same holder, but not with the RCBS. I have a set of extra shell holders I use when I deprime using the universal depriming die, .40 cases are always mixed in with my 9mm, and the RCBS will catch them if I don't. I also found that with the Lee shell holders, I would experience more stuck cases with my 5.56/.223 cases (mostly when forming 300Blk or .277 Wlv), the shell holder just don't hold them as tight.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

See viewtopic.php?t=89334

Per Lee, their 300 Blackout sizing die is not meant for forming Blackout brass. FWIW, I use an old set of Redding dies. To form Blackout brass I have to have the die screwed down a half turn more than when simply full length resizing.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I use a hornady FL die with the stem out and then use a lee collet die to punch out the primer and size the neck.
Works better for me getting the most accurate load.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Die metal is softer than shell plate, just grind down the die bottom. All you do (for Lee press) is wearing down the bushings when you jam the die.
Lee die forms BO brass fine. Take out the deprive stem.