Reloads cycle, factory loads won't...what gives?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

battle creek

Reloads cycle, factory loads won't...what gives?

Post by battle creek »

Hi board,

Not sure what's going on with my rifle. I don't have every detail on the gun because it's been a while since I built it.

I reloaded some 220 gr Hornady roundnose with 10.9 gr of 1680 and was clocking about 900 fps. ejects were from 1o'clock to 3 o'clock. cycled great and locked back.

I then got the S&B 200 gr subs loaded up and velocity was about 1000 fps but it wasn't picking up a new round and ejections were consistantly at 5 o'clock. It would not lock back.

I'm confused why the velocity would be so much higher but less gassed. I mean the bullets are only 20gr's different in weight.

Update: So i think I see whats happening and it has to do with the difference in Ogive on the S&B bullet. It has a bigger jump to the lans than the Hornady because of its shape. I pressed a Hordady into the case a bit farther than before and notice a big jump in velocity and the action didnt cycle.

I'm still not sure how bullet velocity goes up but gasses come down.

Can someone explain this?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloads cycle, factory loads won't...what gives?

Post by gds »

battle creek wrote:Hi board,

Not sure what's going on with my rifle. I don't have every detail on the gun because it's been a while since I built it.

I reloaded some 220 gr Hornady roundnose with 10.9 gr of 1680 and was clocking about 900 fps. ejects were from 1o'clock to 3 o'clock. cycled great and locked back.

I then got the S&B 200 gr subs loaded up and velocity was about 1000 fps but it wasn't picking up a new round and ejections were consistantly at 5 o'clock. It would not lock back.

I'm confused why the velocity would be so much higher but less gassed. I mean the bullets are only 20gr's different in weight.

Update: So i think I see whats happening and it has to do with the difference in Ogive on the S&B bullet. It has a bigger jump to the lans than the Hornady because of its shape. I pressed a Hordady into the case a bit farther than before and notice a big jump in velocity and the action didnt cycle.

Different powders, produce different amounts of gas.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
nate89

Post by nate89 »

In my experience the S&B subs are probably the lightest factory blackout loads I have ever shot. On the range I worked at we had guns that would shoot any sub without a can and lock back, even without a can. The S&Bs, on the other hand, sometimes were not locking back even suppressed. If your gun doesn't cycles the S&Bs, you are not alone. Now I am not saying the ammo is bad (it was actually very accurate), it just might not cycle in some guns.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

battle creek wrote:Hi board,

Yes, by reducing the jump to the lands you create more pressure. With the ogive of that round nose, getting in the window where pressure would increase wouldn't be to hard to accomplish.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.