Oops

Re: Help me choose a powder

Post by Oops »

AggieJim wrote:Try:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

CFE BLK could work well for this.

Another source for lead bullets.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
I must be missing something; I’m not seeing subsonic load data for bullets in the 150-180grain range at http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Also, still thinking (yep, slow) as to whether lead bullets are worth the extra trouble to me. They are less expensive and some people have posted great results, but the lesser expensive jacketed bullets don’t require flaring and crimping (hence the 150-180grain range) and the dies for that.
Oops

Post by Oops »

Found some some powders listed in published data from Sierra! Woot!
Sierra lists RL7, IMR 4198, & H4198 for subsonics in the 150-180grain range.
I’m shopping for one of those soon. (But first, I gotta go to the range and shoot some supersonic ladders).
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Oops wrote:Found some some powders listed in published data from Sierra! Woot!
I’m shopping for one of those soon. (But first, I gotta go to the range and shoot some supersonic ladders).
Sierra has the most data and best selection of powders. Hodgdon has data for trailboss, and light bullets.

Vihtavouri has data for bullets 150 and up and their powders are some of the best for subsonic loads.
https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... rtridge=19

Remember any load that you find here that is used in an AR will work in a bolt action. Velocity will be slightly higher since you will not have the pressure leakage through the gas system and the loads tuned for an 8” barrel will also need adjustment. But any load for a 16” barrel will be a good starting point.

The powders listed by Sierra are mediocre at best. If I was to choose based on wanting published data with pressures and ease of use, it would hands down be the Vihtavouri N120 loads.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Oops

Post by Oops »

dellet wrote:
Oops wrote:Found some some powders listed in published data from Sierra! Woot!
Sierra has the most data and best selection of powders. Hodgdon has data for trailboss, and light bullets.

Vihtavouri has data for bullets 150 and up and their powders are some of the best for subsonic loads.
https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... rtridge=19

Remember any load that you find here that is used in an AR will work in a bolt action. Velocity will be slightly higher since you will not have the pressure leakage through the gas system and the loads tuned for an 8” barrel will also need adjustment. But any load for a 16” barrel will be a good starting point.

The powders listed by Sierra are mediocre at best. If I was to choose based on wanting published data with pressures and ease of use, it would hands down be the Vihtavouri N120 loads.
Oh,wow. Thank you!
Correction - I will be shipping for some N120 very soon.

Do you have any other tips or suggestions for me? Would I be better off focusing on a different weight range?
Of course, if you have any examples of load recipes that you think would benefit me, please PM to me.

And thank you, again.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

N120 is a very flexible powder. It works well for supers and subs 150 grains and up. It’s hard to get in trouble with it, as in does not build real high pressure.

For light supers, 296 is hard to beat.

Just take it slow, there are plenty of bullets to try.
Oops

Post by Oops »

Ok, had to evacuate due to Michael, during my wanderings I encounterd a store with a fricking truck load of vitavouri powders ... everything EXCEPT N120! Also, I did not see tin star, but if anyone is interested in other vitavouri powders check Express Pawn in Columbus, GA.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to get settled in back home, cleaned up, ... and still looking for some vitavouri N120.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use 140-185cast and no there isn't much load data for subs. I shoot supers but IMHO there are reasons that range doesn't work for subs. Low fps needs high weight for any decent performance and high weight subs have better BC. You also have a lot of empty space in the case so you need a powder that works well (like unique - but it won't cycle an AR). I've been tinkering with cfe pistol with the heavies, maybe WSF 231, etc. but NOT H110. 1680 also seems to work but they are not subsonic, just slow.
Oops

Post by Oops »

Alright ... I’m beginning to think y’all have been having way too much fun sending me on a “snipe hunt” for n120. I’ve seen lots of vitavouri powders in a store, but never n120. I see where it supposedly can be ordered online but at prices so high they have to get clearance from NASA.
I give up.
I think n120 is vaporware.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Oops wrote:Alright ... I’m beginning to think y’all have been having way too much fun sending me on a “snipe hunt” for n120. I’ve seen lots of vitavouri powders in a store, but never n120. I see where it supposedly can be ordered online but at prices so high they have to get clearance from NASA.
I give up.
I think n120 is vaporware.
Ask the stores that stock other VihtaVouri powders to include some on their next order.

This is why I go out of my way to support the locals. I can generally get anything I want within 10 days. No shipping, no hazmat and always within $3-5 of online per pound prices.

Or I’m sure if you watch the ads this weekend, somebody probably has a no hazmat sale going on.