Help me choose a powder

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Oops

Help me choose a powder

Post by Oops »

Been reading & searching. Lots of good info. Surprised I haven’t found specifically what I’m looking for: best powder recommendation for heavy subsonic loads in a bolt action with load data from a published source with pressure testing. I’m just getting back into reloading ... yep because of this 300 blk.
Specifically:
Rifle - Ruger American (bolt action), no can.
Considering bullets from 180gr to 245 grains (plated or coated - Rainier, Missouri bullets).

I’m wanting to work up low cost subsonic loads primarily for accuracy and secondarily for quietness.

Looking for the best powder with load data from published sources with pressure testing.

Can I get powder & load data source recommendations/suggestions?
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me choose a powder

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

You are not going to find published load data that is specific to bolt actions. All load data is for ARs and they are not going to be as quiet as loads specifically for a single shot. Single shot loads are way quieter than any AR load fired from a single shot.

Pressures are not really a concern with subsonicloads until you get into the super fast pistol powders.

If you want the hardest hitting subsonic bullet for the 300 Blackout give the 265 grain Bullet from ACME Bullet company a try. It was designed specifically for the 300 Blackout so case fill is ideal for powders used in the 300 Blackout. This also makes it accurate without much work finding an accurate load.

And because I am the designer I can give you safe load data.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Dolomite,

I am going to be ordering some of those 265's from Acme in the next day or so, really look forward to dialing those in. If you would, I'd appreciate some of your data to start off. I have been using some of my own cast and coated 230's and some 245's(Missouri) with nice results. My 300 BLK guns are a 10.5" AR pistol and a RARR. The little bolt gun has been a fun platform for this case, I think it will shoot just about any combo a guy can dream up :P

Thanks,

TR
Oops

Post by Oops »

Dolomite,

That’s what I was finding - all published load data looked to be for ARs. Of course, I saw some interesting postings for using faster powders in bolt and single shot rifles; I just couldn’t find the published data that I was hoping for.
I am very interested.
I plan on ordering some of these soon.
Can you send me load data?
Also, do you recommend flaring the case for bullet seating these or should I be able to get by with just chamfering?

PM sent.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

All cast bullets, naked or coated, need the case mouth flared.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

This is in another thread, but it shows the difference in case prep and what happens with cast bullets when you don’t prep the neck properly.
dellet wrote:
dellet wrote:First go with the final version was an exercise in making as many mistakes loading as possible while loading and back up why you should not do them on paper.

Dots are 1" for reference.
Shot a 50 yards

Group on the right is what happens when you grab a bunch of random brass. I could feel the difference in neck tension while seating the bullets. Top shot is cold clean bore. These were loaded at 2.110, the shortest I have ever seated them and the worst group I have ever had.

Group on the left seated at 2.145", this length is max length for my chamber in a Model 7. I also changed to matching headstamps. The hole on the bottom right shaved a little when seating while seating. I actually shaved two rounds before getting things adjusted correctly. After the flyer instead of shooting the second one I pulled the bullet. It's below.
Shaving the coating is a bit of a problem, but cutting the edge of the base a sure way to have a flyer.

Been fighting weather for a good shooting session, but again a lot of promise for very little work. Hope to hear from some others.
Just can't seem to go 5/5

Bottom group same load as top left, difference is brass was belled and crimped to remove. 5 at 50 yards. Group measures outside to outside .930" with flyer .650" without. That should be MOA potential at 100, I will try it after I tighten up the ES a little.

2.145" COL
LC converted brass 1.360"
9.8 gr N120
Remington 7 1/2 primer
Velocity 1030 avg.

Remington Model 7 1/7 twist.
Bipod and squeeze bag off a picnic table (First beautiful sunny day after work this year :P )

I'm pretty surprised so far. I think I'm about 50 rounds fired in three different rifles. If I can get the other two dialing in this quickly, I will be very happy. May try the 1/10 twist next. If there has been an improvement in casting/coating quality, that is where it will show up and at distance.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I shot some of the DS 265 cast bullets over 9 grains imr 4227 in my 9 inch AR today and they shoot very good.
They shoot even better in my rem 700.
I like how hard they hit.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Using a bolt action gives you much more flexibility, but as previously stated, variables such as brass (case volume, neck tension, etc.) and projectiles make major differences in 300 BLK.
Using very fast pistol powders will give you the quietest performance in a bolt action, but the case fill will hurt your accuracy potential.
The closer you can get to 100% case fill, the better your potential accuracy will become.

Powders such as N120 provide good case fill, burn exceptionally clean, have copper de-fouling agents, and are very consistent.
The only down side to the VV powders is cost and that they are extruded.
(Extruded powders can be difficult to throw in a volume type powder measure.)

There are a bunch of new powders coming to market over the past few years.
Keep your eyes open and do your homework.
Dellet is an excellent resource to hit up if you have the opportunity.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

45r wrote:I shot some of the DS 265 cast bullets over 9 grains imr 4227 in my 9 inch AR today and they shoot very good.
They shoot even better in my rem 700.
I like how hard they hit.
They were originally for single shots because that is most of what I shoot. But someone tried them in an AR and it was close to working so I changed the nose profile a little to help it.

They can also be shot supersonic in 10 twist guns.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Oops

Post by Oops »

Not resurrecting a dead thread ... just a slow thinker.

First - a very big thank you to all for the responses/info!

Second - I’m re-thinking (and you thought I abandoned this post!) what I want in the way of a subsonic load.

Second & half - Are there really not good powders for subsonic loads with bullets in the 150-180grain range?
I see published data for light and heavy bullets, but this range seems to be a gap.

Third - My goal is an inexpensive and very accurate, general purpose load (mostly target, some plinking, a little “pest control”, etc-but not hunting/would use a super for hunting). Quieter is better, too. I have gleaned much from the pet loads posts. The more I read, the more what this load should be, changes.