First Reloading Press Recommendations

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

glockguy56

First Reloading Press Recommendations

Post by glockguy56 »

Looking to buy my first reloading press soon but wanted to get some insight and recommendation from you guys here. My main use will be for 300 blackout sub sonic reloading but also some 223 and 6.5 creedmor.

I recently found lyman's new turret press which looks nice but I don't know if getting a full "kit" is the way to go or getting parts separately.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/54415 ... oading-kit

I have also found a couple dillon 550b's for sale near me for $400 but I don't know if that is the best option either.
zedhound

Re: First Reloading Press Recommendations

Post by zedhound »

1. how likely are you going to be reloading? are you 100% sure youre going to do this for a long time and make the investment worth it?
2. how much money do you want to spend?
3. are you going for bulk or precision or both?
4. how many rounds do you shoot a month?
5. is space an issue?
6. are you a detail oriented person?

lots of questions before we can help you out.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

For starters, I would recommend a single stage reloading press over a progressive. This forces you to take your time, and understand each step in the process. You won't get high volume out of it, however.

I started with an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit - ~$350. I used it for reloading .223 and 300 Blackout and have been very happy with it. Their customer service is great too.

Later, I picked up a Dillion 550b progressive for 9mm, and use it now for 300 blackout as well.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

I like the Lee Turret Press, I had the original and "upgraded" to the Classic Cast Turret. Since I only use a max of three dies, and I have a mess load of the 3-hole turrets, I converted the 4-hole to a 3-hole. I use mine like a single stage so take the index rod out (won't work with the 3-hole anyway), since I deprime then clean my brass, this method works just fine for me. And, it is now tall enough for me to handle pistol and rifle cartridges. I would get the kit, that way you can begin reloading and see what items to upgrade as you go. I reloaded with the basic components for years, and only recently have I started to upgrade most all of them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10130 ... deluxe-kit
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I did it the hard way. Bought a Dillon 550B on the recommendation of a competitive shooter. I was a bit overwhelmed getting started. Thankfully it was during the winter when I had plenty of time on my hands. It worked out well and Dillon's warranty is hard to beat. They didn't have 300 Black dies at the time and I think now just have carbide dies $$$ for 300 Blackout. I use mostly Lee dies in my 550B for 300 Blackout and a 30 cal Dillon powder funnel.

Later, I bought a Rock Chucker single stage I use for decapping primers and sizing stiff brass like 7.62 military brass.

I would definitely stay away from anything that has auto-indexing getting started.

It is not the cost of the press, it is all the other necessary stuff. You need to make yourself a list of the other necessary stuff and not try to start with just a press. Do a search of this site to get ideas for your list.

Couple things you will need:
Most important is at least three reloading books as reference
Scales, preferably boom and digital
dies, make sure thay are standard dies that work on most all brands of presses
calipers
powder, brass, bullets, primers
brass cleaner
loading bench
plenty of lights for over your bench
storage containers for dirty brass and loaded rounds
a case trimmer
deburring tool
Maybe an OAL gauge and bullet comparator
If you load military brass for the first time a primer pocket swagger. I'd just buy already converted brass.
Other stuff I probably forgot to list

One thing I forgot was a bullet puller of some type. You do not want to be tempted to just shoot a round you suspect of having issues.
Last edited by hardcase on Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

if that Lyman turret press is as good as the one I have that I bought in 1980, you will be very happy with it. over the years mine has probably loaded millions of rounds of a variety of rifle & pistol ammo. I still use it today. years ago I got rid of the primer tube thing. more trouble than it was worth. a hand primer works so much easier and better. the great thing about a turret press is that you can do two or more steps without touching the case. I recently was given the use of my brother's Dillion 550. it can put out more ammo but with a lot more fussing to get it running right. yers ago I also had a RCBS Green Machine progressive press. cool & fast. when it worked, which wasn't often. I traded it off. I would not recommend a progressive press to someone just starting out reloading. you will have enough on your mind. I do highly recommend a turret press over a single stage. you can produce a lot more volume than the single stage and you can do it with just as much precision and just as trouble free as a single stage press. the kit is a good start but like said above, you will also need some extras.
peace through superior firepower
vandy58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vandy58 »

I started with the Hornady single stage kit. I got bullets for free as well but I’m not sure if they still do that. I honestly regretted by the kit because over 6 months I upgraded the powder measure to the one with a scale. I have almost all Hornady stuff and I love it. I don’t need progressive because I do not load like that. I have no need for the amount of ammo it can spit out. I know that use them and love them but they compete in 3 gun. They go through thousands a month. They use a Dillion and it’s awesome but total overkill for me. I kind of like the process of single stage but that’s me. Plus precision shooter usually use a single stage because they have full control of everything.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

I started with the lee hand press and have used it for the past 4-5 years the kit is about $50 for the press, ram prime, funnel, and case lube.
A friend gave me an rcbs rock chucker RC IV the other night, i had to wire wheel some rust off it but now its as good as new and runs smooth.

I would say start out single stage, learn the basics and later on you can get a progressive if you enjoy it, and you can save the single stage for decapping or bullet seating precision loads.........

I like my hornady dies and micrometer top.

I like to reload....its fun if you do it right.

Do it right or not at all......

I think i have about 2500 rounds of 300 Blk through the lee hand press......( i started with 10mm, .454 casull, and .40 s&w) one stage at a time, but i learned alot.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

If you load like a bench rest shooter, you will have similar results. Load for lots of ammo fast, you will have different results. All depends on what you want to do. Either way works. For what it is worth, I chose slow over fast. Precision over production. It just works better for me.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

I am with Sithlord on this one. I started with a RCBS rockchucker. I am detail oriented and it makes me pay attention to the little things. I learned the process and now have a progressive machine. If you are a benchrest shooter you will need to make some mods to a dillon 550 to prevent the shellplate wobble. I recommend the walk before run approach. That way you don't have to breakdown hundreds of rounds over a mistake.