First Reloading Press Recommendations

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Re: First Reloading Press Recommendations

Post by Flatliner »

In my opinion, I would get the RCBS or Hornady single stage kit. I own more reloading equipment than I care to admit including a couple progressive presses with all the bells and whistles. However, for a first time loader, a high quality single stage kit is going to give you everything you need and help you to learn it right. Both those brands are excellent and will likely last you the rest of your life. Also, you aren't likely to get rid of the single stage when you buy a progressive as there will always be things that simply need to be done on a single stage press. For instance, I only load my bolt action stuff on a single stage press. It simply produces a better result. There is also some times that I want to load a quantity of stuff that simply isn't worth the headache of spending a couple hours setting up the progressives. Sure, I can load 700-800 5.56, 9mm, or 300AAC an hour on my Hornady set up but I spend a while getting it ready to do that. If I am only doing 100 rounds to test a new load, it is a real pain.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I've loaded thousands of pistol rounds on my 650 and love it.. For pistol.

Both the tool heads and the shell plates float without doing some modifications. The float also varies with how many cases are in the shell plate. If you are loading plinking ammp or simply shooting out to 100 yards, it's fine. If you want accuracy, you need a single stage or a QUALITY turret press. A Rock Chucker is great if you don't mind doing a lot of die swapping. There have been millions of rounds loaded on themI just got a Redding T-7 and have not loaded a lot with it yet, but I'm pretty impressed with it. I bought an extra turret, and have dies set up for 300 Blkout and 6.5 Creedmore on one and .223 AR and .223 bolt gun on the other. I'm keeping the Rock Chucker for when I want to do one time operations on a lot of cases.
The Lee turret may be O, but I got such a bad taste in my mouth from the Loadmaster, I'll probably never buy another Lee product regardless of the reviews.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

I would get the RCBS rockchucker single stage press to start with. That is what I use and find it fast enough.
NRA life member.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

For volume, a Dillon 550 or 650 is where its at. I started out reloading with a 550b and 9mm. Learned the basics with that. My dad still uses it. I have had 2 Super 1050's, but now am back down to a single 650 with case and bullet feeder. 9mm, 45acp, 223 plinking ammo, 300blk.

For precision, Forster Co-Ax is it. I load precision 5.56, 6.5 creedmoor and any high end 300blk on it.

For what you are talking about I would get a 550b(or c, whatever) and get one of the single stage conversion kits to load your 6.5 creedmoor on.

Ive helped a few guys get setup with some of the cheap Lee stuff and they ALL have gotten frustrated with it... The only thing good about it they can says is "it was cheap".... Then they run my Dillon stuff and go "damn, I shoulda spent the money".
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

rjacobs wrote:For volume, a Dillon 550 or 650 is where its at. I started out reloading with a 550b and 9mm. Learned the basics with that. My dad still uses it. I have had 2 Super 1050's, but now am back down to a single 650 with case and bullet feeder. 9mm, 45acp, 223 plinking ammo, 300blk.

For precision, Forster Co-Ax is it. I load precision 5.56, 6.5 creedmoor and any high end 300blk on it.

For what you are talking about I would get a 550b(or c, whatever) and get one of the single stage conversion kits to load your 6.5 creedmoor on.

Ive helped a few guys get setup with some of the cheap Lee stuff and they ALL have gotten frustrated with it... The only thing good about it they can says is "it was cheap".... Then they run my Dillon stuff and go "damn, I shoulda spent the money".
Agree. Lee stuff seems a lot more prone to rust over time too. I cannot say anything bad about my newer RCBS stuff.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Ill break with the current trend and say the Lee Classic Turret (LCT) press is a very good option. I've kinda gone around and come back to it. You can use the LCT as a single stage or as an automated turret. The LCT has some play in the area of the turret because it moves. I always assumed that I was giving up some consistency and accuracy for the speed of automation.

I also have a Lee classic cast press. I got it assuming that the rigidity of an O frame steel press would lock everything down nice and tight so I could up my accuracy game.

When I added a case runnout gauge to my kit I was able to really verify and quantify my results. What I found surprised me. My LCT press made very consistent and concentric ammo.

I like having both a single stage and the LCT. I load on both of them. I would say the one reloading task that I prefer an O frame single stage press is adjusting shoulder set back where you are not relying on die to shell holder metal contact to set dimension.

Here is a really good comparison that actually quantifies repeatable results
edit to fix link. Really good article
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/le ... ?lid=11843
Last edited by TreeTopFlier on Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Yup, that's the one I posted a link to. I've never regretted my Lee purchases, my older Lee turret press had nothing wrong with it, I just got a good deal on the Classic Cast turret press so upgraded. I purchased the original turret press in the mid to late 80's, and besides wearing out my first nylon ratchet when I used it as intended, all it had was surface rust from having it in my shed with no heat or air in this TN humidity.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
offsidewing
Senior Silent Operator

Post by offsidewing »

I started with a progressive Hornady LnL AP press loading 10mm auto. Despite the stigma, 10mm was a good cartidge to learn on. Good case volume, easy bullets to seat, powders that meter well. I used the press as a single stage to learn and after a couple months used it as a progressive.

When I started loading 300blk, I ended up buying a single stage press to resize and decap the cases. Go figure.

I've got a Dillon 650 thats dedicated to 300blk/556 and still use the Hornady LnL AP for 10mm. I decap and resize rifle brass on that single stage hornady.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

Lee classic cast. Started out 30 years ago with a used Herters and the adapter to RCBS style shell holders. Used that boat anchor for many years until I upgraded to the Lee.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I started with a rockchucker kit but use the redding turret press the most now.
I use 4 dies (hornady size,lyman M die,hornady seater,and lee FC) for my powder coated bullets and the turret press is a lot better to me.
Screwing dies in and out isn't much fun after using a turret press.