Small base sizing die for bolt gun?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Small base sizing die for bolt gun?

Post by 2manyToys »

I've been using RCBS sizing dies for 300 BLK and 223 with good results. RCBS states that small base dies should not be use for bolt guns. What issues can I expect to see if I use the same small base die and brass for both an AR and bolt guns?
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Small base sizing die for bolt gun?

Post by rlandry6 »

Once your cases are fire formed to fit your chamber and you only use those cases in a specific gun, you should get several loadings by just neck sizing. The more you FL size with the SB die, the more you work the brass.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

rlandry6 wrote:Once your cases are fire formed to fit your chamber and you only use those cases in a specific gun, you should get several loadings by just neck sizing. The more you FL size with the SB die, the more you work the brass.
Yeah, just wondering out loud if it's worth buying yet another die. I have small base sizing die and a neck sizing die, but not a regular full length sizing die.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

2manyToys wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:Once your cases are fire formed to fit your chamber and you only use those cases in a specific gun, you should get several loadings by just neck sizing. The more you FL size with the SB die, the more you work the brass.
Yeah, just wondering out loud if it's worth buying yet another die. I have small base sizing die and a neck sizing die, but not a regular full length sizing die.
Full length bushing die?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

dellet wrote:
2manyToys wrote:
Full length bushing die?
I hadn't planned on a bushing die. Was considering a Forster Bench Rest full length sizing die, but would appreciate any insight.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

For a bolt gun,LEE collet die.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

2manyToys wrote:
dellet wrote:
2manyToys wrote: Yeah, just wondering out loud if it's worth buying yet another die. I have small base sizing die and a neck sizing die, but not a regular full length sizing die.
Full length bushing die?

I hadn't planned on a bushing die. Was considering a Forster Bench Rest full length sizing die, but would appreciate any insight.
I have used the Forster, Redding and Wilson.

The Forster sizes closest to SAAMI minimum. It works the brass the most but in the grand scheme of things, I’ve never been able to tell if it makes a difference. Stays in my Dillon, I can generally pump out MOA +/- .2 Ammo with it.

The Wilson bushing die does not size whole neck, that can be an issue with a chamber like the Blackout has because the neck is way over size after firing supers. It does produce very nicely sized cases more toward SAAMI mid range. I’ve been very happy with it.

The Redding is in between sizes and I load almost all my subs with it.

Any of those three can and will make better ammo than I can shoot.

I have run some very hot loads in bolt actions, and AR’s, Handi not so much. I have never needed a small base die.

If you keep your headspace to a minimum, you should not ever need one in a bolt gun.

If an AR is gassed properly, you will never need one.

I do have a 223, small base body die. I use that in conjunction with a neck only die. I’m a firm believer that resizing the body, to keep it square to the base is a benefit. So I will size the body, then the neck.

Anything that pulls the sizing ball back up through the neck, has a floating ball to help keep it centered in the neck and not pull it out of line.

I like them and they have just kind of moved into different tasks over time where I used them the most. Some one else might change the way they felt was a strong point. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Thanks Dellet. As always, I really appreciate your input.
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

The small base dies are about .002 smaller. Since you already have the die, I would say use it and check results.

I had to get a small base die for my Ruger American Ranch rifle. The standard die was not sizing the brass enough. The small base die solved my chambering problem. The standard die also gave problems with an AR. Those problems also went away.