Newb with a RARR, can, heavy subs, pistol powder.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Sgtis108

Newb with a RARR, can, heavy subs, pistol powder.

Post by Sgtis108 »

I’m new to the forum, and to the 300blk cartridge.
I’m a former USPSA shooter and have reloaded for pistols for years.

Development keeps getting closer and closer to my deer hunting property, so I purchased a RARR and a SilencerCo haverster 30. Still waiting on the tax stamp.

I’ve read the sticky’s and used the search function and can’t quite put it all together.

I have various pistol powders on hand and 10k wolf small rifle primers.
I have w231, Imr 7625, titegroup, autocomp, bullseye, n105, hs-6, wsf, and 3n38.
I have 8lbs of 7625, and 14lbs of titegroup so those would be nice to use.

I need advice for a pistol powder and deer hunting sub projectile.

Any pet loads or any advice is appreciated.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Newb with a RARR, can, heavy subs, pistol powder.

Post by emmagee1917 »

Your looking at powders that are all too fast . If you are looking for 220-ish grains suppressed you need to look at H-110 / W296 on the fast side ( if you are going to use pistol gas ) to RL-7 / N120 speed to work in pistol but needed for carbine gas .
Chris
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

The most popular sub powders seem to be A1680, N120, IMR 4227, Shooters World Blackout.

Only sub bullets I would hunt with are 194g (or larger) Maker or LeHigh Defense. Both are expensive but work with reliable expansion. Choose the bullet you want and then find cheaper bullets at about the same weight for practice.
riude

Post by riude »

By my limited experience, vihtavuori pistol powders N340-350 are much better for subs than N110/120.
More accurate and also quieter, you can notice difference by your ears.
We are talking about bolt lock, right?
Sgtis108

Post by Sgtis108 »

emmagee1917 wrote:Your looking at powders that are all too fast . If you are looking for 220-ish grains suppressed you need to look at H-110 / W296 on the fast side ( if you are going to use pistol gas ) to RL-7 / N120 speed to work in pistol but needed for carbine gas .
Chris
I’ve found loads for 7625, Bullseye, unique etc. on this forum. One would assume that these are all too fast. So are these just outlier guys? I would like to be safe, but I loaded unpublished loads for years in open guns.
Sgtis108

Post by Sgtis108 »

riude wrote:By my limited experience, vihtavuori pistol powders N340-350 are much better for subs than N110/120.
More accurate and also quieter, you can notice difference by your ears.
We are talking about bolt lock, right?
Yes sir, 16 inch bolt rifle
Sgtis108

Post by Sgtis108 »

smustian wrote:The most popular sub powders seem to be A1680, N120, IMR 4227, Shooters World Blackout.

Only sub bullets I would hunt with are 194g (or larger) Maker or LeHigh Defense. Both are expensive but work with reliable expansion. Choose the bullet you want and then find cheaper bullets at about the same weight for practice.
I was leaning toward the A1680 and the Lehigh defense. I haven’t seen the maker bullet.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

http://www.makerbullets.com/index.php The Rex and Trex are what you might be interested in IIRC.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Don't write off that N105 before you try it. It's my favorite quiet powder for heavy subs. It can also cycle an AR, in case you go down that path.

My RARR does very well with with N105 and 190-220gn bullets. You may want to read through the stickies, especially the one for single shot pet loads.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

2manyToys wrote:Don't write off that N105 before you try it. It's my favorite quiet powder for heavy subs. It can also cycle an AR, in case you go down that path.

My RARR does very well with with N105 and 190-220gn bullets. You may want to read through the stickies, especially the one for single shot pet loads.
This^^^^^^
105 is a great powder that will provide you with decent case fill. Titegroup and the like - yeah, you can shoot it but ES is rough and being new to the round, you can get get to over pressure in a heartbeat. Hell, you can do it even if you are an expert. One can get into trouble quick with the uber fast powders. They are very quiet, and will blow a primer in a zinute. As I said, case fill with these isn't great with a lot of powder laying horizontal in the case. Not picking on you because your new, just stating facts. Unique can be made to work, but I haven't had great luck with big heavies and accuracy. 1680 works for ARs but truly it's loud and dirty - user friendly though. With a bolt gun you have a ton more choices than the AR guys. Develop with 105 and don't look back.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.