Primer Of Choice

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Primer Of Choice

Post by rlandry6 »

What is the primer of choice for the 300 BO loads? I'm assuming that given the volume of powder the cases hold it would take a small rifle magnum or in the case of Winchester, just the Small Rifle. I also have a supply of Wolf 233Rem. I'm just thinking the magnum primers since the pretty much go to powders are H110 and Lil Gun. and I use Magnum primers for my 44Mag and .454 Casull. I also picked up a sleeve of CCI #400 just in case. I'm good with picking up whatever I should be using, I just want to get a complete burn.

On the same note, I also have some small pistol magnums. Would those work? Small Pistol and Small Rifle are the same size.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Primer Of Choice

Post by 20X11 »

rlandry6 wrote:What is the primer of choice for the 300 BO loads? I'm assuming that given the volume of powder the cases hold it would take a small rifle magnum or in the case of Winchester, just the Small Rifle. I also have a supply of Wolf 233Rem. I'm just thinking the magnum primers since the pretty much go to powders are H110 and Lil Gun. and I use Magnum primers for my 44Mag and .454 Casull. I also picked up a sleeve of CCI #400 just in case. I'm good with picking up whatever I should be using, I just want to get a complete burn.

On the same note, I also have some small pistol magnums. Would those work? Small Pistol and Small Rifle are the same size.
I've used CCI400, CCI450, and Rem 7 1/2. Rem 6 1/2 are not recommened for AR pressures. The Rem 7 1/2 have given me the most consistency, so that's all I use these days.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I'll probably start out with a few of the Wolf 223Rem and see how they do. I'd like to use those since I have around 3K of them.
What about Small Pistol Magnum. Seems like they would be similar to small rifle.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

what ever primer thats on sale when I am needing to replenish my stock. :lol: I have tried most of them and they all work good. from info I have learned on this forum, I steer clear of the Rem. 6 1/2s though.
peace through superior firepower
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

My experience has been pretty much limited to Winchester and Federal. The Winchesters were always reliable in semi-auto hand guns and my shooting buddies and I went through thousands of Federal because the cup was soft and we could get 6lb DA triggers on our Smith revolvers. It made for a great pin gun.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

It's not recommended to use small pistol primers in ARs. They have thinner cups that can result in a slam fire with foating firing pins.

I've been using the Remmington 7 1/2BRs. They have a thicker cup than CCI 400s and 450s, but I can use them in my ARs and RARR, whereas I can only use CCI#41's reliably in my ARs.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Thanks,
The cup hardness is what I wasn't sure about since the physical size of small rifle and small pistol are the same.
I have about 15K Wold 223 primers that I'll use up. After that, I don't think an occasional brick of rifle primers is going to break the bank.
I read where many are using CCI400 primers. I assume those can be used without issue.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

rlandry6 wrote:Thanks,
I read where many are using CCI400 primers. I assume those can be used without issue.
Many have used them successfully for years...they go bang everytime. In my testing of the primers mentioned in my previous post, the CCI 400 had the least consistency (as measured by Extreme Spread numbers over a chrono), thus groups tended to open up somewhat vs CCI450 or Rem 7 1/2
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

I use CCI 450's exclusively for the 300blk and 6.5 Grendel. Never had any issues
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

I use Rem 71/2 in all my AR loads. My single shots mainly CCI BR.