Can I use these tracer bullets to reload 300 blk?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Pokgai

Can I use these tracer bullets to reload 300 blk?

Post by Pokgai »

Is it safe to reload 300 blk using these bullets?

https://hi-techammo.com/collections/30- ... -500-count

If yes, is there a minimum barrel length for the tracer to work? I never reload tracers before.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can I use these tracer bullets to reload 300 blk?

Post by gds »

yes they can be used, no minimum barrel length to my knowledge.

Don't shoot them unless in the desert or the ground is wet. They will and can start a fire or 2. not that I have any personal knowledge of this. :oops:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Naporter
Silent Operator

Post by Naporter »

Also make sure they’re ok where you’re at. Some ranges won’t allow them due to the fire risk. There’s probably also a law against them if you’re in a lefty state. Just CYA...
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

Be aware that some tracers won't even light up until they are 100 or more yards out. Or so I have read. YMMV
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

dpete wrote:Be aware that some tracers won't even light up until they are 100 or more yards out. Or so I have read. YMMV
My mileage varied significantly, I wouldn't buy these as plinking bullets. Significantly more dangerous to play around with AND likely to start a fire. MAYBE they make sense for some form of special use but I can tell you from personal experience (I wasn't the shooter but was part of the group) that rushing down range at an active gun club to put out a grass fire sucks.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

Get a few and try them . In military caliber rifles they need a ball powder ( burns hotter ) rather than a stick powder for reliable ignition . I've reloaded with IMR 3031 in 5.56 , though , with no problems . Not sure how pistol powder will do . You must burn through the protective foil ( keeps moisture out ) then start the delay fuse burning . If you have problems , you can poke a hole in the foil to make them easier to ignite , but load them into the case immediately to avoid moisture contamination .
Chris
Chickasaw_Hunter

Post by Chickasaw_Hunter »

I think it's a bad idea. The down side is much deeper than the upside is high. I've seen a couple of housing developments evacuated and homes lost because of plinking with tracers. They are built to light up not necessarily for accuracy. IF you decide to go ahead and use them, make sure you have a healthy liability insurance rider on your homeowners policy.
I only say this as a retired wildland fire investigator, it's a really bad idea. My opinion is not based on only one event.
Chickasaw_Hunter

Post by Chickasaw_Hunter »

Dbl post
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

I seem to remember that somebody posted here about shooting these at night across a frozen remote lake at a shallow angle so they'd skip across the ice. No fire danger, but you'd have to know what was on the other side.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

One night I set a range record that stands to this day . We had a wet winter and the tumbleweeds were super thick . A watercooled 1917A1 Browning and a belt of 250 rounds of FN long burn aircraft tracer fired at night into a mountain range . Seventeen different fires from one belt . Awesome ! Shot around 9-10 PM , last of the fires died around 1 AM.
Chris