What is your 'go-to' super bullet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: What is your 'go-to' super bullet

Post by blaster »

the 125 gr. SST is what I use in my 9" AR. pistol ( and 16' bbl carbines) when I shoot supers. I killed a 200+ lb. boar hog with it and the pistol. the hog was about 50 yds away and I hit him right behind the shoulder angling slightly forward. he ran about 20 yds and died. inside the chest cavity it was red mush. the SST blew about a 1" exit wound through the opposite side leg. the fully opened jacket was caught in the coarse leg hair. thats as close as I have ever come to recovering an 125 gr. SST bullet from game. every other one passed completely thru leaving large exit wounds but the bullet kept going. the 125 gr. SST is a great deer and hog bullet for the 300 Black Out in any barrel length.
peace through superior firepower
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

My go-to would probaly be the 110gr varminteer. Its cheap as I have found them for under 20cents a piece. With that, it can be used as a plinking round if you want.

With a bolt/single shot gun it can be loaded subsonic and be very quiet.

With hasty ballistic test I have found them to decently expand at subsonic velocities. And on animals at supersonic speeds it expands well.

Also, I shoot them out to 300yds at IPSC sized targets with ease.

The 125gr tnt is very close in comparison but does need more velocity to expand.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Recoil737
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Recoil737 »

For hunting or home defense I use the 110gr Barnes black tips as most of my guns are SBR and they fully expand well down into the lower velocities. They also fit perfectly in the magazine and are designed to feed in an AR giving me more confidence of it going bang without a jamming.

I have used the 110gr varminteer and the 110gr Vmax both are short in the mag and I have had a couple feed problems when fast shooting.

The 125gr stuff fits a little better and I have actually taken a carbine course with the 125gr tnt bullets and didn't have any problems.
RWA007
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RWA007 »

Recoil737 wrote:For hunting or home defense I use the 110gr Barnes black tips as most of my guns are SBR and they fully expand well down into the lower velocities. They also fit perfectly in the magazine and are designed to feed in an AR giving me more confidence of it going bang without a jamming.

I have used the 110gr varminteer and the 110gr Vmax both are short in the mag and I have had a couple feed problems when fast shooting.

The 125gr stuff fits a little better and I have actually taken a carbine course with the 125gr tnt bullets and didn't have any problems.

Lol! Sounds like my setup! I love the 110gr Barnes black tips for all my 300blks for Home Defense and for Hunting...although I haven't actually done EITHER with them yet. But the same handload works very accurately in my 16" 300blk Ambush (Daniel Defense), my 9" AAC and my RARR. I've got a few hundred of them loaded up and ready to go, and that is what I keep in my mags for home defense use.
I also tried the 110gr Vmax...and had feeding problems in both the AR's...and a few Fail to Fires in the RARR. Those were factory remanufactured however so neither of those issues surprise me. I bought 500 of them hoping they would be as accurate and reliable as the black tips, for practicing...and they are neither. I think I only tried about 50 of them and was so disgusted that I sold other 450 of them here locally. At least I didn't lose any money on them.
I also have a whole bunch of 125 gr Sierra Soft Points that are factory remanufactured. I bought 500 of them also and they are accurate and reliable. Perfect for target shooting and plinking but not sure if I'd use them for home defense or hunting. I have 500 projectiles sitting around and about 1000 cases ready to go so I'm likely going to load these up for my supersonic plinking rounds. Along with a few hundred of the 220 gr Sierra's for the subsonic plinking.

I've also had good luck with factory reman 147/150 gr ammo. It's cheap, and accurate enough for steel and runs good.

Out of all the guns I have, I think I shoot the 300blks more than anything else other than maybe the 22's.

Randy
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

any 125gr flat based jacketed bullet and 300MP
125gr SMK for best accuracy and the 125gr SST for taking game
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

I am going to start with the 125 SST, I will post an update in the spring once I have played with it a bit.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I'll leave you with this, if you test right you'll find the same results as everyone else has.
98 yards with an SST
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

rebel wrote:I'll leave you with this, if you test right you'll find the same results as everyone else has.
98 yards with an SST

Thats a good expansion.
Personally I cant bring myself to change away from 110gr V Maxs loaded over 296w.
Ive killed maybe 50-60 red deer with them and I've lost 2.
What I like is that they fully expand and as a rule don't exit the skin on the other side.
There is so many recovered projectiles above my killing table im thinking about taking a load to the metal recyclers
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

I've had a lot of success with both the Barnes 110 tactx and Lehigh 110 Controlled Chaos over H110 this year. The Barnes has taken 3 bucks and 2 does. The Lehigh has taken 3 does and 1 black bear. All out of the RARR within 100yds.

MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Flatliner wrote:Hey all, My new SBR is almost done. I want to work up a general supersonic load for hunting (deer/hog) etc. Hornady bullets are easiest for me to get ahold of, what would your go-to bullet be?
There are several good threads here about supersonic bullet performance. I know the search function is often recommended, but I also realize it's a lot of time to wade through search results to separate the wheat from the chaff... Still, there is some value to that effort.

I will give you my perception, as someone who regularly comes here to gleen nuggets of information like you seek.

My first suggestion is for you to clarify what you truly seek. You mention "general" and what brand is "easiest" to get ahold of. That to me, means cost/utility is the important factor. However, you also mention you want to use the load for hunting deer/hog. That implies performance is the deciding factor.

Why do I make this distinction?

Because the 300Blk struggles to maintain velocity above 2000fps out to 200yds, especially from an SBR, which you also add as a consideration. There are scant few bullet options which will perform in game given a <12.5" barrelled 300Blk. If hunting is a consideration, you need a bullet which will expand at lower velocities, and you need a bullet which starts out at higher velocities (to lengthen the effective distance it will still expand as it sheds velocity with distance traveled).

Therefore, if hunting is the most important criteria, bullets like the 110 & 120gr Barnes TacTX "black tip" and the 115gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos Copper, are best. Not cheap, but best. (These are what I use.)

If "utility" (a.k.a. inexpensive & easy to get) is the factor, any bullet which meets your accuracy and cost requirements will work, and there are many. But I wouldn't hunt with just any-ol'-bullet...

In all my reading here, only one bullet stands out in my memory as BOTH inexpensive and effective for hunting (and accurate to boot), and that is the 125gr Speer TNT. The trouble is, I do not recall what the velocity threshold is for expansion and this reputation may have been in 16"+ barrels. I've long wanted to work with this bullet, but I have no direct experience with it yet. If I were looking to do both general shooting AND hunting, and keep costs reasonable with good accuracy, this is the bullet I'd start with.

I haven't done the "one load for everything" concept in my Blackouts yet, because I find it easy to just change magazines between "expensive high-performance" and "cheap plinking/fun-shooting" loads as the need arises...