Finally Entering the Subsonic Realm

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Square Grouper

Finally Entering the Subsonic Realm

Post by Square Grouper »

Been reading/searching the forum for hours and hours, days and days. Have been running a 16" 300BLK AR for a few years now and reloading the following (all supers):
125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips (Hunting)
150gr Hornady FMJ (Plinking)

Just completed the build of a 300 Pistol with 8.5" upper and my 300 Omega Can is in BATF Jail. I want to start building some Sub loads to work up while I wait. I've read through powder charts and all the used and recommended powders and have the following powders available in my arsenal:
IMR 4227
H110
LilGun

Rounds will be used for hunting inside 100yds and for plinking fun. That being said my questions are as follows:
1. What grain/type/brand projectile should I be considering for plinking?
2. What grain/type/brand for hunting?

Thanks in advance for the help! I understand a lot of this is opinionated, but know I vlaue the opinions of those here!
“To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens.”
― Adolf Hitler
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally Entering the Subsonic Realm

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Square Grouper wrote:Been reading/searching the forum for hours and hours, days and days. Have been running a 16" 300BLK AR for a few years now and reloading the following (all supers):

Just completed the build of a 300 Pistol with 8.5" upper and my 300 Omega Can is in BATF Jail. I want to start building some Sub loads to work up while I wait. I've read through powder charts and all the used and recommended powders and have the following powders available in my arsenal:
IMR 4227
H110
LilGun

Rounds will be used for hunting inside 100yds and for plinking fun. That being said my questions are as follows:

Thanks in advance for the help! I understand a lot of this is opinionated, but know I vlaue the opinions of those here!
Hi there and welcome!

I think IMR 4227 may be your best bet for subs though a number of guys have reported having success with subsonic loads using Lil'Gun... not so many with H110.

1. For plinking I would suggest you get your hands on the heaviest and cheapest 190gr+ bullet you can find. Heck Powder Coated (PC) lead bullets are a great option for cheaper plinking. You will need a die to bell out the case mouths for PC lead bullets but the savings pay for the bell/expander die.

2. For hunting I would suggest an expanding subsonic bullet. There are a few offers out there though I tend to lean towards the Lehigh Defense bullets. Just be aware that the 194gr Maximum Expansion bullets expands so wide and so quickly that it doesn't penetrate the flat shoulder blade bone of a deer I have had 2 of them stopped that way. The Controlled Fracture bullets should penerate as well as cause maximum radius of lethal damage. Other options exist but I can't think of them at the moment or don't have experience with them.

3. You didn't ask but if you can find a plinking bullet about the same grain as your hunting bullet and load it so the same amount of bullet is in the case as the hunting bullet then you can "simulate" load speeds and perform abut 80% of the load development for the hunting bullet without having to shoot up all of those expensive hunting subsonic bullets. I have done this and it gets you in the ball park well enough. Just some food for thought.

Best of luck and report back! :)
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

If you are willing to buy another powder, try N120.
It is by far the best sub powder for auto loaders. (Although it is more expensive than domestic brands.)
Very accurate and exceptionally clean.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=101441
1 pound will yield you between 675 - 700 cartridges.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

get your hands on some shooters world blackout - save yourself the frustration.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Square Grouper

Post by Square Grouper »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Square Grouper wrote:Been reading/searching the forum for hours and hours, days and days. Have been running a 16" 300BLK AR for a few years now and reloading the following (all supers):

IMR 4227
H110
LilGun

Hi there and welcome!

I think IMR 4227 may be your best bet for subs though a number of guys have reported having success with subsonic loads using Lil'Gun... not so many with H110.

1. For plinking I would suggest you get your hands on the heaviest and cheapest 190gr+ bullet you can find. Heck Powder Coated (PC) lead bullets are a great option for cheaper plinking. You will need a die to bell out the case mouths for PC lead bullets but the savings pay for the bell/expander die.

2. For hunting I would suggest an expanding subsonic bullet. There are a few offers out there though I tend to lean towards the Lehigh Defense bullets. Just be aware that the 194gr Maximum Expansion bullets expands so wide and so quickly that it doesn't penetrate the flat shoulder blade bone of a deer I have had 2 of them stopped that way. The Controlled Fracture bullets should penerate as well as cause maximum radius of lethal damage. Other options exist but I can't think of them at the moment or don't have experience with them.

3. You didn't ask but if you can find a plinking bullet about the same grain as your hunting bullet and load it so the same amount of bullet is in the case as the hunting bullet then you can "simulate" load speeds and perform abut 80% of the load development for the hunting bullet without having to shoot up all of those expensive hunting subsonic bullets. I have done this and it gets you in the ball park well enough. Just some food for thought.

Best of luck and report back! :)
Thanks for that info. Been researching the leatherhead coated bullets for plinking and may give them a try.. I have a lot of 500 Lapua Scenar 220 that I came across for a steal, but still a spendy plinking round. Looked up those Lehigh controlled fracture and they seem the way to go for a Sub hunting round!
― Adolf Hitler
Square Grouper

Post by Square Grouper »

Dr.Phil wrote:If you are willing to buy another powder, try N120.
It is by far the best sub powder for auto loaders. (Although it is more expensive than domestic brands.)
Very accurate and exceptionally clean.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=101441
1 pound will yield you between 675 - 700 cartridges.
Thanks! I read alot about N120. There's a local show this weekend, I'll be scouring for powders and keep my eyes peeled.
― Adolf Hitler
Square Grouper

Post by Square Grouper »

plant.one wrote:get your hands on some shooters world blackout - save yourself the frustration.
First I've heard of this powder. Can you elaborate the frustration that will be eliminated? My interest is peaked.
― Adolf Hitler
Square Grouper

Post by Square Grouper »

tallburnedmidget wrote: 1. For plinking I would suggest you get your hands on the heaviest and cheapest 190gr+ bullet you can find. Heck Powder Coated (PC) lead bullets are a great option for cheaper plinking. You will need a die to bell out the case mouths for PC lead bullets but the savings pay for the bell/expander die.
I load using a Dillon 650. Juts looked into this since you mentioned it. Looks like I need to use the 13564 Carbine funnel to bell the cases at the powder station in lieu of the AK funnel I am currently using for loading Blackout. Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll place an order for some leatherhead bullets!
― Adolf Hitler
texascavediver

Post by texascavediver »

Square Grouper wrote:
plant.one wrote:get your hands on some shooters world blackout - save yourself the frustration.
First I've heard of this powder. Can you elaborate the frustration that will be eliminated? My interest is peaked.
Shooters World Blackout is basically identical to Accurate 1680. It will work with almost any weight bullet, sub or super.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I use imr4227, it works and havent had any problems with it across multiple guns with 190-220gr bullets. Its easy to get an autoloader to work using it and its OK when it comes to carbon build up.

You cant take the Omega apart to clean so I would keep that in mind if you try powder coated/cast bullets. With that I use mine for .223 through 300win mag and its been great with thousands of rounds, you chose a good can.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne