Help with AA#9 failure function

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

redmo

Help with AA#9 failure function

Post by redmo »

Well I experienced a weird problem. I have loaded AA#9 with Nosler 190 for subsonic load and have perfect function and very quite load in my 9” AR. But, when I tried the same load in my 16” AR, I could not get it to function even with adjustable gas block all the way open. It was as if it wasn’t getting enough gas to function. I had always assumed 16” would function easier than 9” and was surprised. A1680 subsonic load functions both fine. What am I missing?
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help with AA#9 failure function

Post by John A. »

I don't like to speculate on these types of problems without having it in my hands and some time with it.

But #9 typically burns out rather quickly and peaks, and doesn't specifically continue to increase in gas pressure due to the longer barrel.

Are you using the same lower? Buffer spring/buffer weight? Gas block?

Reason I asked, is any difference could be why one is working and the other isn't.

I even encountered a very odd anomaly with my gas block that I was using. My barrel had a .120" gas port, but when I took the gas block off, it was drilled about .079" (which is approximately what an M4 556 barrel would use).

So, that's why I don't like to get into a lot of "THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR GUN" type of troubleshooting online. And that's not even starting to take into consideration the loads and barrel chamber and other things.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That will be a hard powder to get function and stay subsonic with that light of a bullet in that length barrel.

If it is carbine gas length it will be that much harder.

And as John said, build details and load details are a must before you could even hope for an answer.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
redmo

Post by redmo »

Gotcha. Too many variables. I just was surprised as normally the 16” is easier to cycle than 9”. Both are pistol length. I do have JP piston buffer in 9” so may try changing that to see.