300 BLK MATCH Ammo that is good out to 800 Yards...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 BLK MATCH Ammo that is good out to 800 Yards...

Post by rebel »

I'm no Brian Litz but wouldn't be great if some had a bullet like this in the 135-145 weight. I know the the bc wouldn't be as high but the weight would be a bit more optimal, more speed, higher bc. Maybe we could get Phil with first round hits at a grand :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

rebel wrote:I'm no Brian Litz but wouldn't be great if some had a bullet like this in the 135-145 weight. I know the the bc wouldn't be as high but the weight would be a bit more optimal, more speed, higher bc. Maybe we could get Phil with first round hits at a grand :mrgreen:
LOL!!!
Actually, if I work out the hold over ahead of time, I'm bet I could do it now...
(Hell, its already subsonic at 800.) 8)
Would need a flasher to indicate the hit though.
It would have the energy of someone throwing a rock at it.

Prior to this project, I didn't realize that companies such as G9 had made such an effort in creating an optimal bullet regardless of cost.
It occurred to me that the G9 bullet in something like a 6.5 Grendel could be downright silly.
(Hopefully I will get enough money together in the next 12 months to finally go forward with that project.)

A hybrid powder similar to superformance, or a duplex charge could make the next evolution in 300 BLK loads a game changer.
Such a leap could put the 300 BLK very close to 6.5 Grendel or 308 Win ballistics.
At this point in time, that is a pipe dream though.
It is not cost effective and the difference in rifle configurations would make some loads unsafe.
Hornady learned this lesson with their Superformance ammo line a few years ago.
In competition bolt guns, it rocked.
But in a competition gas gun, it was a nightmare.

As to dellet's experience with his KB, it goes to show that complacency kills.
I was always leery of AA#9, but after dellet did that, I am damn near scared of it.
AA#9 is very attractive to new hand loaders due to its versatility and high energy / low density properties.
That is compounded by old 300 Whisper(r) load data that tend to favor that powder.
The issue is that it is very volatile and pressures spike VERY fast with only a couple tenths of a grain.
Here is an analogy for you:
AA#9 as a powder is to 300 BLK, as dating a smoking hot stripper is to a great marriage.
Sure, it will definitely be exciting and a long term healthy relationship might work out.
But it is much more likely that things will eventually blowup on you... :cry:
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There's and point where you realize that you will never get the horse power to go fast enough, so you have to work smarter not harder. In this case that is getting a bullet that will ride through the transonic range the best.

I think if I pull out all the stops, I might see 2400 fps in a long barrel. That puts you entering the transonic around 850 yards and crossing the 1000 mark at just under 1200. Then it's time to think about barrel/rifling design if picking up 150-200 fps is going to happen.

This bullet does seem to be a bit faster than some of similar weight, but not enough to chart without a lot of testing.

What it really has going for it, is that i have shot my best groups ever with it, at the highest velocities.

I'm not sure about the actual effect of weight in BC, all I know is that if I take the specs for this bullet, enter it into a calculator with 135 for weight and the same velocity, difference at 1000 yards is minimal.

What I'll play with next is a lot of shooting in the 200 yard range with muzzle velocities 1300-1400. There's some debate about the difference in shooting in the trans-sonic range vs shooting through it. I need to explore that some. But really need to see if accuracy in turbulance holds up.

A new powder could be interesting, duplex is time consuming(Dr. Phil probably wouldn't shoot those loads if I sent them anyway) so I think the answer will be using the most stable bullet possible and conceding that a realistic goal for the cartridge at 1000 yard competition would be staying out of the bottom 10% on the scoreboard. Personally I'd be happy not being the one left off the bottom because they ran out room, or the computer would not recognize a score that low. :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I have an LMT enhanced carrier in another rifle. I always wondered if it would allow me to use hotter loads in my 10 inch Noveske 300 blackout? I’d love to be able to use the same box of ammo that I made up for my bolt action rifle in that AR as well.

As it is now, I believe the only reason I’m getting pressure signs from the AR (with hot loads for my bolt action) is because the boat is unlocking prematurely due to more gas from the additional powder in the load. But I don’t know that for a fact? Just my speculation. I hand cycled a few in my AR and the area just up from the case heads were swollen noticeably which made me think unlocking was beginning to occur too soon.

But until I can figure out how to keep from slamming the bullets out of my case and depositing H110 everywhere when cycling through the action it will all be a pipe dream for me.

Can someone please remind me what size buffer and what buffer size spring I am supposed to be using with a 10 inch Noveske with collapsible carbine stock?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

wildfowler wrote:I have an LMT enhanced carrier in another rifle. I always wondered if it would allow me to use hotter loads in my 10 inch Noveske 300 blackout? I’d love to be able to use the same box of ammo that I made up for my bolt action rifle in that AR as well.

As it is now, I believe the only reason I’m getting pressure signs from the AR (with hot loads for my bolt action) is because the boat is unlocking prematurely due to more gas from the additional powder in the load. But I don’t know that for a fact? Just my speculation. I hand cycled a few in my AR and the area just up from the case heads were swollen noticeably which made me think unlocking was beginning to occur too soon.

But until I can figure out how to keep from slamming the bullets out of my case and depositing H110 everywhere when cycling through the action it will all be a pipe dream for me.

Can someone please remind me what size buffer and what buffer size spring I am supposed to be using with a 10 inch Noveske with collapsible carbine stock?

Thanks.
Is that an old vs new Noveske? 10.2 vs 10.5.

The reason I ask is that the first ones had chamber issues, the throats were cut short. So bullets jammed, and pressures were always high.

The LMT will absolutely help.

Dr. Phil did the Noveske barrel dance a couple years ago and he can fill you in on the differences he got after they exchanged barrels. This would not have been possible in the old one.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

wildfowler wrote:Can someone please remind me what size buffer and what buffer size spring I am supposed to be using with a 10 inch Noveske with collapsible carbine stock?

Thanks.
I run an H2 with the standard carbine spring.

If you have one of the original Noveske barrels, you should contact them.
Mine was a 10.2" from the 1st production run and had John Noveske's "MATCH" chamber that was optimized for subsonics.
That barrel would display massive pressure signs with factory supersonic 110 V-max loads.
--Mark Twain
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Dr.Phil wrote:I run an H2 with the standard carbine spring.

If you have one of the original Noveske barrels, you should contact them.
Mine was a 10.2" from the 1st production run and had John Noveske's "MATCH" chamber that was optimized for subsonics.
That barrel would display massive pressure signs with factory supersonic 110 V-max loads.
I had an early model that didn’t shoot subs accurately at all. They replaced it last year.

Thanks for the info. I may accidentally have the wrong spring in mine. Buddy of mine gave me a couple of new springs to try. Just haven’t quite gotten there yet.

New question: Does the LMT affect reliability with subs?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

wildfowler wrote:New question: Does the LMT affect reliability with subs?

Thanks.
Nope...
As long as you are running pistol length gas, everything should work just fine.
My preferred powder is N120, but A1680 works just fine too.
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dr.Phil wrote:
wildfowler wrote:New question: Does the LMT affect reliability with subs?

Thanks.
Nope...
As long as you are running pistol length gas, everything should work just fine.
My preferred powder is N120, but A1680 works just fine too.
I actually run one in a carbine gassed system that is geared toward hot supers. It does have an adjustable block. All of my setups are under gassed by Internet standards and borderline by Robert Silvers standards.

18" barrel, .110" port, heavy buffered captured buffer using the second heaviest spring. Runs factory subs flawlessly, as well as reasonably lighter hand loads without a suppressor.

The best way I can describe the bolt, is that it comes from the factory worn in. No sharp edges. So the bolt is designed to unlock easily, less resistance turning under pressure.

The carrier is designed to take longer to start the unlocking process. The case has by then shrunk in the chamber and is easier to remove. Less force is needed to extract.

Not sure my theory fits the science, but in an SBR build using fast, high pressure powders, reliability was increased switching to the LMT BCG.

You have to watch out for Dr. Phil, his advice tends to work well, but can be pricey. :x
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I’m not interested in changing to an adjustable gas block on my noveske. A carrier swap is no problem though and I will try a work up to my bolt action load using my existing enhanced carrier before I purchase a new one.

Truth be known, my bolt load according to quick load is only 60k psi. I’ve never had quikload report any load of mine I’ve plugged in to the computers as that low before. And based on the lack of pressure signs from my bolt gun, I think 60k is generous just like the rest of the loads are.

Basically I’m pouring h110 to just inside the neck and loading a TNT about .2” into the neck. I’m not going to post and/or don’t remember the specifics off the top of my head.

Thanks guys.