First time reloader... best expanding bullets for subsonic 300 blk?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

springvalleyarms

First time reloader... best expanding bullets for subsonic 300 blk?

Post by springvalleyarms »

I am about to embark on my first reloading experience ever, and plan to reload for subsonic 300 blk pretty much exclusively to start. My rifle uses a 10.3 BA Hanson barrel, Superlative arms adjustable pistol length gas system, and SiCo Omega. Home defense and general <100yards plinking and fun / varmint killing.

Is there a current "go-to" bullet for reliable expansion at subsonic velocities?
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Re: First time reloader... best expanding bullets for subsonic 300 blk?

Post by Sharkbite »

The Lehigh stuff seems to lead the pack in expanding subsonic bullets.

You dont mention subsonic specific game hunting, so im not sure what the need for expanding sub bullets is. You will pay a lot to use such bullets for plinking (lots of cheaper options avail).

As for a HD load, you would do better using a full power super sonic load like the Blacktips or a SST loading. MUCH better terminal ballistics, then any subsonic loading. Ive shot Blacktips indoors thru my Gemtech can and although its louder then a sub load its not horrible.
springvalleyarms

Yes the expansion was mainly for my use for HD. Small hunting uses would be secondary. I did not realize that decent expansion at sub speeds was so expensive!

So I guess I will need to find great bullet options for a HD load, both sub and supersonic, plus a plinking subsonic load. Thanks!
Last edited by springvalleyarms on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Lehigh defense are rather "proud" of their bullets, as evidence of the price.

However, I don't know of any other expanding bullet out there where subsonic is concerned.

You will not want to "plink" with Lehighs'. I promise. Matter of fact, I was stressed just checking my scope zero with them.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
springvalleyarms

Do the 180gr Rainier bullets mentioned in a thread near this one expand much at sub speeds?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Maker Bullets have some subsonic expanding bullets. Like the LeHigh, they are not cost effective for plinking.
springvalleyarms

Sharkbite do you have details of the HD supersonic load that you mentioned above?

How cheaply are you guys able to get quality loads down to, assuming purchasing the brass?

Sub HD
Super HD

Sub Plinking
Super Plinking

Hunting

Thanks again for the suggestions! Diving into the reloading world is fun and confusing, ha!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Good quality once fired, reprocessed brass costs $0.10 or a bit less and can be used multiple times. Make sure the brass is from the good brass lists and not the bad brass list and check them with a full length gauge.

Key points to check when reloading is to make sure you don't double charge or leave out the powder. Little if any crimp. Usually I do just enough crimp to take out the bell. When I first got set up, I would push a loaded round against a bathroom scale to at least 40 pounds for a few to make sure bullet setback would not occur. Shoot all newly set up rounds without the can against free hanging cardboard at 3 and 10 feet to check for keyholes. If a shot sounds funny, check for a squib. Squibs and double charges are my biggest concerns.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

springvalleyarms wrote:Sharkbite do you have details of the HD supersonic load that you mentioned above?!
The Defensive load ive settled on is the Hornady 110gn "Blacktip" ammo. My gun is a 9" AAC SBR. I origionally ran an AAC SDN-6 can on it, but have switched to a Gemtech GMT300blk as a dedicated can.

Like you, i originally thought a subsonic suppressed SBR would be perfect as a urban defensive rifle. Unfortunately, subs limit the platforms performance too much for my liking. Supers allow me to reach out further without worrying about hold overs as much. Punch thru body armor easily. Deliver Rifle power at any range I can hit at, subs basically deliver pistol level energy (220gn @ 950fps is about 45acp energy).

A 300blk with subs is not much different then A pistol caliber carbine. I like the versatility a Rifle gives me. The supersonic loads ARE louder then subs thru a can. I'm willing to take a little more noise for the increased power.
carboyvu

Post by carboyvu »

Maker Rex bullets is an alternative to LeHigh Max expansion. It is a little bit cheaper than the LeHighs. For subsonic plinking, I use the sierra pro round nose 220 grain. I wait till midwayusa has them on sale and buy a few boxes.