Need load data for Alliant 410. Subs or supers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need load data for Alliant 410. Subs or supers

Post by hardcase »

John A. wrote:Image
That is impressive :shock: I wonder if those nearby had hearing protection :mrgreen:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

John A. wrote:Need more info on the subs. bullet and col and velocity for example. I assume about the same as loading the same bullets with my normal powder, but thought I'd ask.

The ten thousand dollar question, how does it sound?
Bulky case only holds about 21.5 grains.

It's about as loud as 2400. Burns very clean

Not a whole lot to tell for now, has promise. Working it like I do any other sub load, found a powder charge that will cycle and adjust velocity by seating depth.

8.5 grains under a 190 Nosler cycled and locked back suppressed, on the 10 1/2" carbine. It was borderline super around 1100 fps. 8 grains under a 208 Amax was 970 and full function, same load in a 8" pistol was 925 fps.

All loads basically 95% + density.

Went to supers in the bolt gun just in case it got exciting. 18.5 under a 110 Vmax gives powder into the neck, seated the bullet on it, 2325 fps. No signs of pressure. since there was not a lot of room to work up the powder I added bullet weight. Stopped at 150 grains when the primer started to look interesting.

Kinda boring so far, hope to keep it that way. Seems to burn hot based on brass temp.

I've established some working parameters and we'll see where it goes.

Probably a good place to add the "do not try this at home" :shock:

I had not done anything outside the box lately and needed a project and I'm thinking of replacing the barrel on the bolt gun anyway :lol:

Load data for now is intentionally vague, folks that have a clue, could make it work. Those that don't should have enough sense to not try.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Roger that.

Sounds a lot like the same rabbit hole as the Enforcer and #9 powders.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Slightly stoopid

Post by Slightly stoopid »

Any more info on this dellet? I've been going down the 150 subsonic wormhole. This is my best bet with available option.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Slightly stoopid wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 pm Any more info on this dellet? I've been going down the 150 subsonic wormhole. This is my best bet with available option.
Best available option for what?
Compared to what?
Shot from what?

Carbine gassed AR, probably not worth the time and effort.
Bolt gun or single shot no problem.
Pistol gassed AR, depends on the suppressor design. Needs all the back pressure help it can get. Will depend on port size and buffer set up.

In general in an AR, the lighter the bullet, the slower the powder burn rate you want. This one is at the very extreme fast end of the working scale.
Slightly stoopid

Best option in general. Went looking for RL7, 4198 and came up empty. Since I've read a couple posts on lil gun possibly working and my local store has 7 lbs of this stuff I started researching it. Yeah, opposite sides of the spectrum from the RL7.
10.5" pistol length 0.750 port
Spikes flatwire H2 buffer.
I'm working down from 10.8-9.8 w/150 fmjbt and we'll see what happens. I've seen 2 burn rate charts with this lower on the list.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Slightly stoopid wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm Best option in general. Went looking for RL7, 4198 and came up empty. Since I've read a couple posts on lil gun possibly working and my local store has 7 lbs of this stuff I started researching it. Yeah, opposite sides of the spectrum from the RL7.
10.5" pistol length 0.750 port
Spikes flatwire H2 buffer.
I'm working down from 10.8-9.8 w/150 fmjbt and we'll see what happens. I've seen 2 burn rate charts with this lower on the list.
There is a good chance to get it working, but with very little data it's hard to say.

I had trouble getting it to work in a 10" carbine gas and staying subsonic. Carbine gas is not even supposed to work at that length. Pistol gas should not be a problem depending on back pressure, I was also using a 190 grain bullet, which helps.

What I'm not sure of is reliability in reduced loads and pressure spikes. I would keep the bullet seated deep as possible to start. The flip side of that is that reducing the load density lowers the burn rate and that will work to your advantage.

The gas port size/diameter is not .750". That will be barrel diameter where it is located. The hole size drilled in the barrel feeding the system will make a big difference. you would have to pull the block off to measure it, but not needed yet.

I tried this powder because I am always in search of a something cleaner and quieter than what I am using, mostly N105 for subs. This was just was not any quieter and seemed to burn pretty hot, so I lost interest. If you have some, and based on current availability I would not hesitate to give it a try. You might just need a different bullet probably easier than powder to find right now.

I will also look through my notes this weekend and see what else I can offer. I know I also used some Alliant Steel.

What other powders do you currently have or are available to you?
Slightly stoopid

H110 and CFEBLK. I have a stock pile of sub x that I was waiting on data for which hodgen just released. I've been using 195gr eld for subs.Factory 220 subs tumble to an extreme for whatever reason so I stay under 200gr. H110 for the plinkers and 110 gmx. Bullets have disappeared in my area as well.
Slightly stoopid

So col 2.100 for all rounds. Previously stated ar pistol.
10.8 BLB and functioned
10.6 BLB and function
10.4 BLB on 1 round test. 3 round feed no BLB
10.2 same
10.0 same
9.8 same.
Idk. Might be able to play with it but its definitely clean, accurate. I'll definitely use it for a mid weight fun having round. Need to get a chronograph asap.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Are you shooting suppressed?

Probably going to need to drop about a grain of powder and this is where the games start to be played.

First and easiest is to throw a lighter buffer at it. standard carbine 3 OZ. The H2 is closer to 5 OZ. Then it's amatter of how bad do you want that load to work.

Knowing the actual port size would be helpful, but not absolutely needed.

Or just switch to CFE BLK and learn why I tested a lot of powders for noise and cleanliness. :shock: