Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by dellet »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
bearcatrp wrote:Have no issues cycling with H110 and full loads. The upper came with some subs but wouldn't cycle for crap. After I get a good feel with this rifle, think I will try 8208XBR and see what happens. Its a faster burning powder than varget or 4064. I use 8208 with my short barrel 308. Bites pretty good compared to other powders. But I use 42.0 gr with a 168 A-Max. Not sure if the case can get enough to push the bullet very good or not. For now, will learn with whats currently good for the 300 BO.
With a fast burning powder I'm 99% sure you will not cycle your AR. Also the powders you are talking about being faster than one another are way slower burning that the most common 300BLK powders that are considered slow for the 300BLK which is only good for shooting subs :) Also, too slow in the 300BLK will not burn the powder up in time and you will still not get cycling so super slow powders for the 300BLK like the ones you mention (8208xbr, varget, etc) are no good even for subs in the 300BLK :)

Around 2010-2011 when the round was just out (SAAMI approved) many guys tried all kinds of powders and experimentation because there was so little info out there.

What was discovered is that you won't cycle an AR unless you are using a powder on a certain range of the Burn Rate Chart:

Using the image above; Basically if you aren't in the range of #80-92 you won't be cycling a subsonic bullet in a carbine gas system.
If you aren't in the range of #76-79 you won't be cycling a supersonic bullet in a carbine gas system AND getting the near max supersonic velocities.

If you have a pistol gas system the ranges of powder open up for cycling subsonics but you are still basically confined to the same overall range because going outside of #76-92 burn rates will not give you the pressure and dwell time needed to cycle the 300BLK AR.

So, feel free to try any powder you like but just know that if you are not within those ranges then you will likely be getting no cycling, single shot behavior.

If you go past the range (>92) with a powder like IMR8208XBR (#107 on the image) or Varget (#124 on the image) you will have unburnt powder meaning that not only will a bullet be leaving the barrel but so will unburnt powder because the burn rate was too slow and didn't get full burn for pressure.

If you go well before the range (<76) you will likely not generate enough pressure at the gas port before the powder is burnt up or dwell to completely to cycle the rifle.

Other more knowledgable burn rate guys can add on to this for even more accurracy to correct anything I may have misstated but this is what was learned a long while back.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on your parade so feel free to experiment SAFELY and see if you find out something that hasn't been tried before. I just figure this info will help you hone in on where your experimenting may have a better chance in succeeding.

Oh, not all burn rate charts are the same so the numbers on the one above will NOT be identical to the numbers on a different burn rate chart BUT the powders will still be very very very close to one another in grouping where any differences are usually caused by powders included in one chart that are not included in another chart.

Best of luck! :)
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Got my new Burris RT-6 mounted last night so hit the range to shoot the Barnes 110 Tac bullets I loaded up to test. 5 round group per load.

19.6 H110 2337 fps (Avg 5 shot)
19.8 2389 fps Best grouping
20.0 2405 fps
20.2 2439 fps
20.4 2450 fps

Also picked up a box of Hornady Black 110 V-Max for comparison to what I loaded up earlier.

Black 110 V-Max 2359 fps (Avg 5 shot)

Grouped better than my testing last week. My guess is my light crimp I used. Pretty close on fps using 20.0 gr of H110. More tests needed to close my grouping. My next test I will push a bit hotter on both V-Max and Tac to see how much I can get away with without pressure issues. Scope worked awesome. If your in the market for a 1x6, check out the RT-6. Great glass (close to my XTR II), descent price of around $350. Got mine for $320 from Whittaker Guns. You have to call since its not on there web site. For those who load the Barnes 110 Tac, can you compare my data with yours. Am shooting with a 16 inch barrel. Thanks.

Just check COAL on Hornady Black. 2.090. Hornady book calls for 2.050 so thinking this is why the Hornady grouped better.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bearcatrp wrote:Got my new Burris RT-6 mounted last night so hit the range to shoot the Barnes 110 Tac bullets I loaded up to test. 5 round group per load.

19.6 H110 2337 fps (Avg 5 shot)
19.8 2389 fps Best grouping
20.0 2405 fps
20.2 2439 fps
20.4 2450 fps

Also picked up a box of Hornady Black 110 V-Max for comparison to what I loaded up earlier.

Black 110 V-Max 2359 fps (Avg 5 shot)

Grouped better than my testing last week. My guess is my light crimp I used. Pretty close on fps using 20.0 gr of H110. More tests needed to close my grouping. My next test I will push a bit hotter on both V-Max and Tac to see how much I can get away with without pressure issues. Scope worked awesome. If your in the market for a 1x6, check out the RT-6. Great glass (close to my XTR II), descent price of around $350. Got mine for $320 from Whittaker Guns. You have to call since its not on there web site. For those who load the Barnes 110 Tac, can you compare my data with yours. Am shooting with a 16 inch barrel. Thanks.

Just check COAL on Hornady Black. 2.090. Hornady book calls for 2.050 so thinking this is why the Hornady grouped better.
Just so you know, the Barnes 110 Black Tips tend to shed petals on impact above 2400 fps. Above 2500 they occasionally come apart in flight. Above 2600 I don't think I ever had one make it to the target at 200 yards.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you load and twist rate.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Was not aware of that. Thanks for the info. Just checked my target. No fragments on the target but for now will load my best grouping.
RustyKnifeUSMC

Post by RustyKnifeUSMC »

Hey everyone ... back to the forum here after a hiatus. Came back specifically to address and hopefully solve some of my frustrations with my load using the Barnes 110 TAC-TX. This thread was helpful and I will continue to search thru the pages for an answer. Here is my issue: accuracy is terrible! I'm talking 2-3" at 50 yards! The purpose of the load is for whitetails in MO where max distance shot will be 80 yards.

1. SBR Noveske 8.2" barrel. 1/7 twist thru a SpecWar 7.62 can.

2. Load: LC cases with LC primer. 19.0 grains of H110. 2.115" COAL.

I just read on the Barnes load data website they recommend LilGun for their accuracy load with the 110 grain bullet.

I do not crimp. I read that a lot of 300BLK loaders will use a Lee FCD. Maybe I should try that along with any other suggestions? 19.0 gave me the best accuracy and it was still terrible. Maybe I'll switch to LilGun or try the 120gr Barnes bullet with the 1/7 Noveske twist barrel.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Take the can off and see what it does. Have not looked up Barnes load data but 2.115 seems mighty short for the TacTx bullet. My notes show about 10 forum listings all running 2.250 COAL and between 19-20g H110. Once you get a load developed without the can you can put the can back on and see what the poi shift is, if any.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If you are loading to 2.115, you either have the wrong Barnes bullet or you have the ogive of the bullet below the neck of the case.

What number is the bullet you are using? Guessing it does not have a black tip