Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

User avatar
smustian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:55 pm
Location: Central Virginia

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by smustian » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:08 pm

bearcatrp wrote:Thanks. All my rifles I reload for I try to go a bit higher to see if I can. Pistol powder is harder to do it with but rifle powder I can usually get 1 to 1 1/2 grains above max published loads. Has anyone tried the Z-Max bullets? These you can buy in bulk to save a bit compared to the v-max bullets.
Do some research before buying projectiles. If all you want to do is punch holes in paper then just about any projectile can be made to shoot. If you want to hunt then research "minimum expansion velocity" of the projectile in question and make your choices based on 300 blk velocities. You will find that the majority of 308 projectiles on the market are designed for .308/30.06/ etc.

A stellar idea for you is to read the Hunting and Handloading sections and take meticulous notes as to what others have used or tried. Doing so will most likely save you many headaches in the future. Sorry there is no "instant gratification" with this caliber.

BulletFlight for Android
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by bearcatrp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks. Read the hunting area for a bit. allot of different bullets used. Some of the commercial offerings are pretty good too. Will shoot my 110's I just loaded up and maybe load some 125's too after while and see how they do. Once I get the chrono data, can decide then. Don't mind paper punching but always looking for ultimate hunting round. Still allot to learn with this caliber.

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by bearcatrp » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Got out to range today. Loaded up 110 V-Max and 110 Barnes TAC-TX. Did not shoot the barnes. Didn't have a scope yet so put on iron sites for now. Won't do that again. My old eyes are used to scopes. Here is what I got out of the V-Max with 5 shots per:
19.6 gr 2346 fps (AVG) H110
19.8 2338 fps
20.0 2350 fps
20.2 2349 fps
20.4 2344 fps
Drops after using 20.0 gr of H110. Have a 16 inch barrel. When I get a scope, will go back and shoot the Barnes and probably some commercial ammo to compare. You folks shooting with H110, how close are you against my shots? Thanks
Last edited by bearcatrp on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timccart
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by timccart » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Barnes case 300blk 110 TAC TX H110 20grs Wolf 223primer 2.25 OAL 2215fps 10.5barrel light crimp

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3808
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by tallburnedmidget » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 pm

bearcatrp wrote:Thanks. All my rifles I reload for I try to go a bit higher to see if I can. Pistol powder is harder to do it with but rifle powder I can usually get 1 to 1 1/2 grains above max published loads. Has anyone tried the Z-Max bullets? These you can buy in bulk to save a bit compared to the v-max bullets.
My most accurate bullet/load is with the 123gr .310 Z-Max run through a .308 sizing die.
This is actually a SST bullet with a greent tip, like the other .310 offering, and NOT a V-Max bullet with a green tip.
The nice thing about the .310 Z-Max is that it was built to perform at similar speeds to the 300BLK and the SST is a hunting bullet not a varmint bullet so you get the benefit of it being designed for hunting rather than varmint explosions :)

Others have found that you don't need to resize the .310 Z-Max if you load deeper. They will pass the Sheridan gauge then.
I resized because I wanted to make sure they passed Sheridan gauge and did not think or know about loading them deeper. Mine have no issues and you can resize 500 bullets in about 10 minutes or so.

I post all of my hunting results from my big hunting trip each year. In my 2014 hunting trip post I used both the 123gr .310 resized Z-Max and the 110gr Barnes Blacktip for kills. I primarily used the Z-Max and my brother also used my Z-Max load to take 2 does so we took about 5 animals with it on that trip and it performed very well. Again it is very likely my most accurate bullet and the 110gr Blacktip may be as accurate or better but I have not shot the 110gr Blacktip as much as the Z-max due to the cost.

Here is the post for my 2014 hunting trip:
viewtopic.php?t=91536


For reference here is my 2013 hunting trip lessons learned where I used the 110gr TTSX, 130gr TTX, and the 196gr Lehigh Defense ME subsonic bullet. This has GREAT subsonic hunting info:
viewtopic.php?t=86180

Heres my 2015 Hunting trip where I used the 110gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos all brass bullet:
viewtopic.php?t=96526

Heres my 2016 hunting trip where I used the 115gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos all copper bullet:
viewtopic.php?t=99569

As for using pistol powder, you won't be able to get an AR to cycle with pistol powder. You can so do with a bolt action or single shot.
You will also need to tackle the problem of finding/creating a safe starting load since there is likely no load data out there. It can be done just be safe.

I hope this variety of bullets and info helps you with your decision making on a bullet choice :)

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by bearcatrp » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Have no issues cycling with H110 and full loads. The upper came with some subs but wouldn't cycle for crap. After I get a good feel with this rifle, think I will try 8208XBR and see what happens. Its a faster burning powder than varget or 4064. I use 8208 with my short barrel 308. Bites pretty good compared to other powders. But I use 42.0 gr with a 168 A-Max. Not sure if the case can get enough to push the bullet very good or not. For now, will learn with whats currently good for the 300 BO.

User avatar
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:13 pm
Location: St Pete, FL
Contact:

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by JeffWard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 pm

I've taken 2 hogs now with the TAC-TX, neither went beyond 30-40 feet. Both had massive exit wounds in the 1" range. One was only 30-35 yards. The other around 85-90.

They are accurate, shooting 1.25" at 100 with my 8.5" barrel, and they are devastating. As I remember, my muzzle velocity with a max load of H-110 was around 2100.

JW
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...

User avatar
dellet
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 6536
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by dellet » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:53 pm

bearcatrp wrote:Got out to range today. Loaded up 110 V-Max and 110 Barnes TAC-TX. Did not shoot the barnes. Didn't have a scope yet so put on iron sites for now. Won't do that again. My old eyes are used to scopes. Here is what I got out of the V-Max with 5 shots per:
19.6 gr 2346 fps (AVG) H110
19.8 2338 fps
20.0 2350 fps
20.2 2349 fps
20.4 2344 fps
Drops after using 20.0 gr of H110. Have a 16 inch barrel. When I get a scope, will go back and shoot the Barnes and probably some commercial ammo to compare. You folks shooting with H110, how close are you against my shots? Thanks
I load a little different, but that's real close to the velocity I get with the Vmax in an 8" barrel using 296.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7254
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by rebel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:11 pm

dellet wrote:
bearcatrp wrote:Got out to range today. Loaded up 110 V-Max and 110 Barnes TAC-TX. Did not shoot the barnes. Didn't have a scope yet so put on iron sites for now. Won't do that again. My old eyes are used to scopes. Here is what I got out of the V-Max with 5 shots per:
19.6 gr 2346 fps (AVG) H110
19.8 2338 fps
20.0 2350 fps
20.2 2349 fps
20.4 2344 fps
Drops after using 20.0 gr of H110. Have a 16 inch barrel. When I get a scope, will go back and shoot the Barnes and probably some commercial ammo to compare. You folks shooting with H110, how close are you against my shots? Thanks
I load a little different, but that's real close to the velocity I get with the Vmax in an 8" barrel using 296.
dellet is being modest, his style of handloading supers, which can be described in this section in various places, will henceforth be called "the method". I used this to push a 125 gr SFNHP at some amazing velocities out of a 9 inch barrel. Its how I discovered my SBR was over gassed severly 8) Study some of the things in these pages and you can craft a load that gives more velocity with less pressure.

edit - for "normal" loads your velocities seem OK and should work on game fairly well.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3808
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Barnes 110 TAC-TX ?

Post by tallburnedmidget » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm

bearcatrp wrote:Have no issues cycling with H110 and full loads. The upper came with some subs but wouldn't cycle for crap. After I get a good feel with this rifle, think I will try 8208XBR and see what happens. Its a faster burning powder than varget or 4064. I use 8208 with my short barrel 308. Bites pretty good compared to other powders. But I use 42.0 gr with a 168 A-Max. Not sure if the case can get enough to push the bullet very good or not. For now, will learn with whats currently good for the 300 BO.
With a fast burning powder I'm 99% sure you will not cycle your AR. Also the powders you are talking about being faster than one another are way slower burning that the most common 300BLK powders that are considered slow for the 300BLK which is only good for shooting subs :) Also, too slow in the 300BLK will not burn the powder up in time and you will still not get cycling so super slow powders for the 300BLK like the ones you mention (8208xbr, varget, etc) are no good even for subs in the 300BLK :)

Around 2010-2011 when the round was just out (SAAMI approved) many guys tried all kinds of powders and experimentation because there was so little info out there.

What was discovered is that you won't cycle an AR unless you are using a powder on a certain range of the Burn Rate Chart:
Image

Using the image above; Basically if you aren't in the range of #80-92 you won't be cycling a subsonic bullet in a carbine gas system.
If you aren't in the range of #76-79 you won't be cycling a supersonic bullet in a carbine gas system AND getting the near max supersonic velocities.

If you have a pistol gas system the ranges of powder open up for cycling subsonics but you are still basically confined to the same overall range because going outside of #76-92 burn rates will not give you the pressure and dwell time needed to cycle the 300BLK AR.

So, feel free to try any powder you like but just know that if you are not within those ranges then you will likely be getting no cycling, single shot behavior.

If you go past the range (>92) with a powder like IMR8208XBR (#107 on the image) or Varget (#124 on the image) you will have unburnt powder meaning that not only will a bullet be leaving the barrel but so will unburnt powder because the burn rate was too slow and didn't get full burn for pressure.

If you go well before the range (<76) you will likely not generate enough pressure at the gas port before the powder is burnt up or dwell to completely to cycle the rifle.

Other more knowledgable burn rate guys can add on to this for even more accurracy to correct anything I may have misstated but this is what was learned a long while back.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on your parade so feel free to experiment SAFELY and see if you find out something that hasn't been tried before. I just figure this info will help you hone in on where your experimenting may have a better chance in succeeding.

Oh, not all burn rate charts are the same so the numbers on the one above will NOT be identical to the numbers on a different burn rate chart BUT the powders will still be very very very close to one another in grouping where any differences are usually caused by powders included in one chart that are not included in another chart.

Best of luck! :)

Post Reply