100gr Hornady Short Jackets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Pat T

100gr Hornady Short Jackets

Post by Pat T »

Good Morning,

Anyone had any luck getting any sort of consistency using the short jacket?

Ive been trying to load some out with lil gun but no joy. Cant get to group going supersonic.

Ideally I would like to use them as a subsonic load to get some expansion.

Anyone got any data for either super or sub would be appreciated.

I'm shooting a Remington 700 B/A 1:7 twist

Regards

Pat
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Re: 100gr Hornady Short Jackets

Post by batman4706 »

I haven't tried that bullet, but I've tried Sierra 85 gr & 110 JSP, Speer 100 RN, Hornady 86 & some coated 115 RN. The best groups so far are with the 85 Sierra and 100 Speer. Use pistol powders for best accuracy. Lately I've been playing with Win Auto Comp & Hodgon HS6.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

There is a real concern with these bullets of spitting there cores when pushed hard... Keep velocity within 30 carbine range.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

I have some of these but haven't shot them into water or for accuracy. I doubt they will expand at sub velocities though. I expect them to be like the 86gr Mauser bullet I've shot extensively and punch through w/o expansion.

The 90gr XTP will expand quite well at sub velocities due to having a thin skived jacket on the nose.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=96263
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Was looking at this bullet to get a little most distance. But as mentioned above, pushing to hard may make them come apart. To bad they don't make a SST version.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

These are not a bullet to push fast in the Blackout; the noses slump and rub the bore, accuracy suffers, and they can lead the barrel too. They do work great on small game at ~1500 fps and will expand nicely.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

110 grain subsonic, expanding.

https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=308110SBLK

I have shot this bullet and it does well to 100 yards, after that there's just not enough weight to keep it going. It will still expand, but drop gets tough to manage.

There is also a super version
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

6 gr cfe pistol and seat with half the jacket in the case. 1:8 pistol, not chronyd but accurate @ 50.
bjames
Silent Operator

Post by bjames »

I played with these bullets back in 2013 when 308's where drying up and they were all i could find locally. with the powders i had available and using an AR, I just couldn't get them working.

running them at 2300fps range with my barrel twist. they where spinning apart or just not grouping worth anything. talking with hornady they confirmed that the rpm of these bullets shouldn't exceed 150k

I tried trailboss, which dropped them to just under 1000fps but this wouldn't cycle my AR.
I also tried 5744 powder but to get the rifle to cycle, I had to have them up around 1900fps and was spinning them apart again.

haven't tried the pistol powder with them, but I ended up giving them away to a friend and gave up on them.