Who's making the best coated sub weight boolits these days? Plinking use only.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Who's making the best coated sub weight boolits these days? Plinking use only.

Post by DoubleJ »

Been shooting Palmetto Reds for a while now over 10gr of N120 and I'm pretty happy with them. Anyone making anything light years ahead of them, or should I just stick with what works? Way cheaper would also qualify as light years ahead, but Palmetto's price is hard to beat. Let me know what you all like.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Who's making the best coated sub weight boolits these days? Plinking use only.

Post by tallburnedmidget »

DoubleJ wrote:Been shooting Palmetto Reds for a while now over 10gr of N120 and I'm pretty happy with them. Anyone making anything light years ahead of them, or should I just stick with what works? Way cheaper would also qualify as light years ahead, but Palmetto's price is hard to beat. Let me know what you all like.
I've never used Palmetto's bu that was going to be what I was going to suggest you look into but it looks like you are already ahead of me hahaha.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Who's making the best coated sub weight boolits these days? Plinking use only.

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I just released a 265 grain bullet. It is available on ACME bullet company's website.
http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloa ... /Black-Out

Even though it is so heavy it is still extremely stable in anything 8 twist or faster. It is the heaviest cast bullet designed specifically for the 300 Blackout. It is accurate, hard hitting and functions in an AR.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Post by batman4706 »

Thanks, just ordered some. I use Acme bullets in my 458 Socom and like their product. The wooden boxes they come in are nice too.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

batman4706 wrote:Thanks, just ordered some. I use Acme bullets in my 458 Socom and like their product. The wooden boxes they come in are nice too.
A new 458 SOCOM bullet will also be available from ACME. I do not think it is on the website yet but he is making them. Might give them a call and inquire about when it will become available. It was designed specifically for the 458 SOCOM instead of a bullet designed for 45-70 or some other 458. It is coated and uses the same design features to improve accuracy. It weighs in at 575 grains and should be a monster. If you get some they are designed to be loaded to an OAL of 2.10". As you increase the length it engages the rifling. For every .001" added in OAL the bullet should engage the rifling .0001" deeper. Makes it easier to fine tune your loads for accuracy.

A lot of good stuff is happening at ACME right now.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Looks like this has gone from a suggestion to a requirement for me. I recently had the core in my Leonidas upgraded to titanium, and my guess is that less core material + same size can = more volume and I can't get BHO anymore with 10.0gr N120 and the Palmetto 203s. I'm at 1025ish FPS with an ES of 25ish, so more powder won't be the answer. Suppose I need more bullet instead. Do I expand my casting and coating to include .309s? I hear that Lee mold isn't a very good design, and Lee molds are all I know. Anyone making a 220 that's similar in price to the Palmetto 203s? I see the 265s above, but that seems heavier than I need just to plink steel and paper. Thanks again for any recommendations.

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I would be interested to know what your shooting them out of. I have full function in a carbine gassed 18" barrel with bullets as light as 178 without a suppressor.

Is it cycling and just not locking?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Correct, cycles, but on the last shot the bolt doesn't hit the catch with it's face, it catches on the carrier. Used to work fine, but I was still playing with N120 when I sent it in for the upgrade, so maybe it didn't and I just forgot. No problems with 1680, other than the extraordinary mess.

Upper is a Liberty Leonidas, 8.5" Aero barrel, pistol gas system, unknown gas port (inaccessible to me anyway), 13" reflex can with a monocore, all titanium now.

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Not being familiar with the bullet, and this is one place cast can be a draw back because it hits the lands at short lengths, my first thought is to move the bullet out just a little bit. Not only will this decrease velocity, but it will lower the burn rate and create more gas needed for cycling. That will hopefully be enough to push the bolt back.

The bullet your using will take up case space like a 220 and create chamber pressure like a 190. Makes it tougher to work with.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

As another option, there is a guy here from time-to-time that sells 220 gr Leatherhead bullets. They work well for me for plinking. They now come sized to .310. I resized some to .309 but could not tell any difference and felt more comfortable at .310. Unless you use some of the brass on the Bad Brass list, you should be fine. I have my chronograph set up and load to 1,000 fps. I use Reloder 7 and sometimes LittleGun just because I had to buy 8 lbs during the great powder shortage a few years back.