Hornady 110 load problems.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bbs383ci

Hornady 110 load problems.

Post by Bbs383ci »

New guy to forum and new to reloading for the 300blk.

I recently loaded some sierra TMK's 168 gr. Pushed by 15.3 grains down to 13.9 grains of Lil'Gun. Length at 2.255. These shot great and loaded great as well no issues except once I seated the bullet the would not go back flush with in the case gauge.

Today I got some Hornady 110 V-Max's as well as some Nosler 110 Varmageddons.

I used the Hodgdon load data from their website for the 110 grain hornady v-max using Lil'Gun powder. Overall length of 2.050" as listed. Max charge is 21 grains. It is a compressed load for max.

Problem is when I seated the bullet it bulged the neck considerably and would not fit in the case gauge as it should.

Here are some pics.

https://dwcustomknives.tumblr.com/post/162215367236

If there is a better way to post pics please let me know.
Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 110 load problems.

Post by Alex Wilson »

You really shouldn't start a new load at max listed charge. It's a good way to get yourself in trouble. You are compressing the load, which increases pressure. Do it the right way. Pull the bullets and work up a safe load for your gun. Just because some book says this is the max load doesn't mean it's safe for your gun.....

Upload pictures to photobucket and copy/paste the forum link. It's an option within the picture on photo bucket.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

i am in the process of working up a load.

I will be loading starting at max and going down in .3 grain increments to the minimum charge. when shooting I start at the minimum load and go up. I just started the reload process with the max charge and this issue came up.

my question is what is causing the bulge below the bullet when seating?

Is it because of the compressed load or is there something else going on?

I will not shoot these if they are going to load like this. I want to shoot these especially for whitetail.

I loaded some 168 grain sierra TMK's and they shot great with lil'gun. I did not have the bulge issue with these.

blue dot and red dot will not work with ar platform, shoots great and groups good at 50 yards but will not lock bolt back and the red dot was hitting 4.5" low comparatively. don't have a chrony so I don't know speeds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like the bullet was not seated straight, easy to do with a small flat base bullet. Try more chamfer on the case opening.

It you're on a progressive it's a little tougher until you get the hang of it.

Your first post made it sound like this also happened with the 168's, second post says no. Which is it?

The reason I ask is because with the TMK you have about .110" more bullet in the case at that length and it is possible that compressing the powder is the problem. and your max loads will certainly be on the hot side, With Lil'gun possibly dangerously so.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

the 168 tmk overall length was 2.255"

the overall length with the 110's is 2.050"

I did not have this issue with the tmk's everything on them loaded fine and ran fine in the gun. I did mention that once the bullet was seated to correct depth that the finished bullet would not fall into the case gauge properly it was a little high. After de-priming and resizing the cases fall into the gauge perfectly. this was with the 168 gr tmk's.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

the bell goes all the way around the neck not just one side like it was seated crooked, at least that's what it looks like from my experience which is limited. I hold the bullet with the case till I cant hold it any more while seating and I am using a single stage press.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I don't think that bullet is in straight.

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

ok, what are you using to swell the neck a little, or shall I say what is the best option to do so?
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

If you roll that round on a flat surface does the bullet wobble around?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Was your first loads and the 168's with new brass? After that did you size them and then load these 110gr bullets?

Reason I ask is that looks like a sizing die might be out of spec.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne