Coyote Zero Distance

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

vetman
Senior Silent Operator

Coyote Zero Distance

Post by vetman »

I use a thermal scope to hunt coyotes at night with a 300 Blackout AR15. It is difficult to judge distance at night and I wanted to stay with the Blackout round instead of switching to a flatter shooting round. With that said at what distance would you set the zero while using the Blackout?

Most of my shots are less than 150 yards with a lot of shots within 50 to 75 yards. I have considered a 175 yard zero to cover most of my shots, but Judy asking for opinions. I shoot a 125 Grain Hornady SST loaded over 18 grains of H110. My muzzle velocity is around 2200 FPS and I do shoot suppressed.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: Coyote Zero Distance

Post by Whole Bunches »

vetman wrote:I use a thermal scope to hunt coyotes at night with a 300 Blackout AR15. It is difficult to judge distance at night and I wanted to stay with the Blackout round instead of switching to a flatter shooting round. With that said at what distance would you set the zero while using the Blackout?

Most of my shots are less than 150 yards with a lot of shots within 50 to 75 yards. I have considered a 175 yard zero to cover most of my shots, but Judy asking for opinions. I shoot a 125 Grain Hornady SST loaded over 18 grains of H110. My muzzle velocity is around 2200 FPS and I do shoot suppressed.
I zeroed my thermal equipped Blackout at 55yd (110gr Barnes black tip hand loads). Gives me +/- 1" out to about 150yd.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Just depends on you. It's a choice. Compare a few trajectories in a ballistics chart.

Because of the drop between 150-200 yards, I would prefer a 200 yard zero and hold low on the vitals. Shot will never be more than 3 1/2" high.

With a 175 yard zero, you could be 2 1/2 high or low depending on distance that will be hard to judge.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
F224
Senior Silent Operator

Post by F224 »

Figure out the maximum point blank range for a 5" circle. Zero for that distance being were the bullet makes a pass through the bottom of that circle at that range. Or 2.5" below your zeroed distance.
Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com