125 grain nosler ballistic tips

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bohuntr

125 grain nosler ballistic tips

Post by bohuntr »

I went by the nosler manual...18 gr. Of h110 powder slightly higher c.o.l...(2.66) 125 nosler ballistic tip ...shot a few tonight to make sure they would cycle in my ar 15 ...did fine ...don't know about accuracy yet..going to range tomorrow to see ...anyone here loaded that round..?..any input would be great

Thanks,mark
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: 125 grain nosler ballistic tips

Post by smustian »

bohuntr wrote:I went by the nosler manual...18 gr. Of h110 powder slightly higher c.o.l...(2.66) 125 nosler ballistic tip ...shot a few tonight to make sure they would cycle in my ar 15 ...did fine ...don't know about accuracy yet..going to range tomorrow to see ...anyone here loaded that round..?..any input would be great

Thanks,mark
2.66 will not fit into a mag. I think you mean 2.060 COAL. The 125 Nosler shoot great for me. I am running 17.8g H110 @ 2.160.
rg1
Silent Operator

Post by rg1 »

18 grains of H110 with the Nosler 125 BT is maximum in the Nosler Manual and above Hodgdon's maximum at 17.8 grains. In my AR 300 BLK rifles 17.8 grains started to show some pressure leaving slight ejector marks on the case head. I load 17.5 grains of H110 with RP 7 1/2 primers in LC formed cases and have good accuracy with no ejector marks or any other pressure signs. I get 2155 fps in my 16" barrel at an oal of 2.060". Your 2.66" oal must be a typo and possibly you meant 2.066" because 2.66" won't fit a magazine. I've read others loading higher loads but I backed down a bit. You're starting at a maximum or slightly higher maximum listed in the books. I believe the 125 Ballistic Tip is an accurate bullet in Blackout rifles and also one that often is recommended for hunting.
bohuntr

Post by bohuntr »

smustian wrote:
bohuntr wrote:I went by the nosler manual...18 gr. Of h110 powder slightly higher c.o.l...(2.66) 125 nosler ballistic tip ...shot a few tonight to make sure they would cycle in my ar 15 ...did fine ...don't know about accuracy yet..going to range tomorrow to see ...anyone here loaded that round..?..any input would be great

Thanks,mark
2.66 will not fit into a mag. I think you mean 2.060 COAL. The 125 Nosler shoot great for me. I am running 17.8g H110 @ 2.160.
Your right..I miss-typed..2.066....still learning
bohuntr

Post by bohuntr »

rg1 wrote:18 grains of H110 with the Nosler 125 BT is maximum in the Nosler Manual and above Hodgdon's maximum at 17.8 grains. In my AR 300 BLK rifles 17.8 grains started to show some pressure leaving slight ejector marks on the case head. I load 17.5 grains of H110 with RP 7 1/2 primers in LC formed cases and have good accuracy with no ejector marks or any other pressure signs. I get 2155 fps in my 16" barrel at an oal of 2.060". Your 2.66" oal must be a typo and possibly you meant 2.066" because 2.66" won't fit a magazine. I've read others loading higher loads but I backed down a bit. You're starting at a maximum or slightly higher maximum listed in the books. I believe the 125 Ballistic Tip is an accurate bullet in Blackout rifles and also one that often is recommended for hunting.
I did miss-type....2.066 was what I meant...I only shot 10 rounds with no pressure signs on the case...question is...(and why I'm on here)..what is the recommended c.o.l...and h110 load... and bullet selection ..and I don't care about fps...thinking about shooting a deer with my blackout..(gun)....been a bow hunter only for the last 30 years..lol..

Thanks for the input
Mark
bohuntr

Post by bohuntr »

bohuntr wrote:
rg1 wrote:18 grains of H110 with the Nosler 125 BT is maximum in the Nosler Manual and above Hodgdon's maximum at 17.8 grains. In my AR 300 BLK rifles 17.8 grains started to show some pressure leaving slight ejector marks on the case head. I load 17.5 grains of H110 with RP 7 1/2 primers in LC formed cases and have good accuracy with no ejector marks or any other pressure signs. I get 2155 fps in my 16" barrel at an oal of 2.060". Your 2.66" oal must be a typo and possibly you meant 2.066" because 2.66" won't fit a magazine. I've read others loading higher loads but I backed down a bit. You're starting at a maximum or slightly higher maximum listed in the books. I believe the 125 Ballistic Tip is an accurate bullet in Blackout rifles and also one that often is recommended for hunting.
I did miss-type....2.066 was what I meant...I only shot 10 rounds with no pressure signs on the case...question is...(and why I'm on here)..what is the recommended c.o.l...and h110 load... and bullet selection ..and I don't care about fps...thinking about shooting a deer with my blackout..(gun)....been a bow hunter only for the last 30 years..lol..

Thanks for the input
Mark
Btw, my barrel is a 16" stainless with a 1-8" twist
bohuntr

Post by bohuntr »

bohuntr wrote:
bohuntr wrote:

Thanks for the input
Mark
I've also got lil'gun powder..so suggestions are welcome
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I use more 296 (older) than any other powder as I have many #'s available to me. 17.5 shoots best for me and nets about 2100 chronographed velocity from my 16" barrels. YES on the bullet and its usually a great shooter, being a tapered jacket it is a lil tougher bullet. But guys are still reporting good performance on game.

Best of luck, you choose a good shooting bullet!

BTW, try Hornady 125 SST's for some cost savings and equally excellent performance.

I do not like lil gun powder in any semi auto as it tends to run HOT. Also known for pressure spikes when compressed even a little...

CW
Last edited by cwlongshot on Mon May 22, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

bohuntr wrote:
bohuntr wrote:
bohuntr wrote:

Thanks for the input
Mark
I've also got lil'gun powder..so suggestions are welcome
Suggestion:

Be careful loading supers with lilgun !

I was shooting a load work up with 110gr v-max supers and had no pressure signs and the last round i shot got the extractor side of the rim ripped off, i stopped that load test and when i got home i started looking at velocities and i was getting extreme spreads over 300-350 fps (i trickle weighed all the exact same charges by hand and even weight sorted bullets).

On the other hand, the 125 nosler shot awesome for me with a coal 2.150" and shooting CFE BLK. (It wont get the velocity of H110 but it shoots awesome. I would post my charge weight but its on the high side ( i dont want to leave info that someone might start at on accident).
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
MisterHelix
Silent Operator

Post by MisterHelix »

Nosler 125 BT's will put a hole in a deer. My first 300blk hunt was with that projectile, loaded by PNW arms.